Real mission of the 1907-1909 US Great White Fleet, what was it?

BStankman

Reactions
Are you talkibg about this one at 15:15 on the Civil War monitor?

I did not have time to watch the entire video yet. Are they running 1860s ships for some parade purposes in the 1900s?

I believe some of the footage they would not need to alter. Who can say what this flag really is? It resembles the US flag but as we know quite a few things could be displayed on it.
Yes, only the few seconds with the boats. No need to see the entire thing.
You wont see it on your phone, you need a monitor. And increase the contrast if you can.

Something is not right, but no idea why.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I found some archival footage of the great white fleet.
At point 15:05
The flags look altered to me.
I think I know what you could be talking about. To me it appears that they black and whited this video entirely, or did do something to the flag.

Watching the flag on the ship at 15:15 you can see red and blue pop up for a split second a few times. Weird but consistent with everything else we have seen so far.

It can only be seen watching large youtube screen on a computer.

whitewave

Reactions
"In Australia, when the fleet arrived in 1908, they were greeted with huge receptions of people: they too like Australia, and over 200 of them deserted while in Australian ports." That had to be embarrassing since Roosevelt was supposed to be projecting American naval power/superiority to the rest of the world and his "naval power" deserts the navy. LOL.

JWW427

Reactions
Roosevelt was spoiling for a fight. Any fight. The video says it all, but its just good ol' fashioned American propaganda. Yay!
In Spain there was confusion and shock that America declared war on them.
Teddy Bear wanted to show off American might, kind of like George Bush in Kuwait in 1991, to my mind.
1890's "Gunboat Diplomacy" at its height.
Its no wonder Britain––secretly––considered going to war at sea with the USA many times between 1895-1930 just to put us in our meager place, naval-wise. Shhhhh, thats classified still! Don't tell anyone.
I think the Great White Fleet sent many messages, one of them being: "Good luck messing with us from now on."
The Japan issue was big. I think countries back then just wanted some action on the high seas just to prove themselves, like a schoolyard brawl.

Excerpt:

"In 1898, at the end of the Spanish-American War, the United States was thrust into the mainstream of international affairs and gained status as a world power, acquiring as possessions the Philippines and Guam in the Pacific, then Puerto Rico in the Caribbean. In 1904, the United States also established a naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to ensure the safety of the Panama Canal, then under construction.
Roosevelt stressed the upgrading and expansion of the US fleet in order to protect American interests abroad. From 1904 to 1907, American shipyards turned out 11 new battleships to give the Navy awesome battle capabilities. This was timely, for, in 1906, hostilities with Japan seemed possible; the Japanese navy dominated the Pacific and posed a potential threat to the Philippines.
America's problems with Japan arose shortly after Roosevelt mediated the Treaty of Portsmouth in 1906, ending the Russo-Japanese War. In that conflict the Russian fleet had been annihilated by the Japanese. But despite their triumphs over the Russians on the high seas, the Japanese failed to get all they felt they deserved at the peace table and blamed Roosevelt for it.
In the same year, anti-Japanese feelings were sweeping California. The San Francisco Board of Education ordered the segregation of all immigrant and descendent Japanese school children.
When the news of this reached Japan, violent anti-American protests broke out. Roosevelt managed to persuade the Board of Education to discontinue its segregation policy in exchange for an agreement with Japan to slow down its stream of immigrants into the United States.
Roosevelt didn't want a break with Japan, as the United States was ill-prepared for war. Most of our battle fleet was concentrated in the Atlantic, and there were only a handful of armored cruisers on duty in the Pacific. In the event of war with Japan, this small contingent that made up the Asiatic Battle Fleet would have to abandon the Philippines for West Coast ports until the United States had strength enough to go on the offensive.
Thus, to impress upon Japan that the US Navy could shift from the Atlantic to the Pacific, Roosevelt ordered the Great White Fleet to sail around the world."

JWW

GWF.jpeg