Single photo: 1907 Indianapolis, Indiana - Soldiers and Sailors Monument.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
That's pretty monumental - 285 feet tall. Some interesting info on construction is here. Apparently they started building it in 1888. The obelisk was completed by 1892, and the entire thing by 1901.

This thing just does not look like we would do something like that. IMO.

It was designed by German architect Bruno Schmitz. The monument's original purpose was to honor Hoosiers who were veterans of the American Civil War; however, it is also a tribute to Indiana's soldiers who served during the American Revolutionary War, territorial conflicts that partially led to the War of 1812, the Mexican–American War, and the Spanish–American War. The monument is the first in the United States to be dedicated to the common soldier.

And this Bruno Schmitz - appears so appointed... to do some restoration and redesign may be...

Appears the US flag was not a big thing back then. I personally doubt it's 1907, but that's what the description said. Looks like 19th century to me.

Clickable: 2800 x 2173 px
Indianapolis, Indiana, circa 1907. Soldiers and Sailors Monument.jpg

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I would actually think that this was in Europe and not America at first!
For me this is one of the most impressive pictures to date. This architecture is screaming that we did not build this. At least for me it does. And not so much because we could not master it, but rather because we would not even develop the design. Once, again, just my take on this "monumental" monument.

It looks like something Piranesi could have been looking at, and he had a chance to see some crazy things.

flameto

Reactions
Looks a bit like someone took one of the Bologna towers and slapped some decorations on to disguise it. Probably not though, mostly joking.

Regardless, a very impressive structure. It does seem excessive for the alleged time and place.

From Wikipedia...
The cost to complete the monument was $598,318. An estimate to erect a similar structure in 2014 suggests it would exceed $500 million.
According to this inflation calculator
What cost $598318 in 1890 would cost $16566801.74 in 2017.
I don't know how accurate this is, but there's a big difference between 16.5 and 500 million. Which implies the original figures are ridiculously low. Unless construction costs have gone up that much over a century for other reasons.

Last edited:
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
When you factor in the sheer amount of those Civil War monuments (Kentucky alone has 61), the money they had to spend is beyond ridiculous. Remaking older ones may be. 16.5 and 500 is a big difference, which is hard to explain besides some people making numbers up.

There is this interesting article with a video I can not embed The Surprising Reason Why So Many Civil War Memorials Look Almost Exactly the Same
So it’s perhaps surprising that some of the most common American monuments to those who fought for the Confederacy have a distinct feature: they look almost exactly the same as monuments to those who fought for the Union.
Apparently those monuments were being ordered from some catalog. Sounds pretty cheesy if you ask me, considering that most of them have different architects according to wikipedia, lol.