Petra: The melted city

jd755

Reactions
Depends on what the treasure was. Manuscripts don't do well in sunlight but then again they don't do well in damp conditions either. Even a flash flood would degrade them quite quickly.

Intrigued by the underground discovery I went looking to find out when it was dug out.
Oh whoever asked about the height covered by 11 steps well here, in this house, on the 11 step staircase one rises 7 feet.

Turns out it was discovered and dug out in 2003-4. This suggests that the underground bit has no connection to the above ground bit, at least one they observed as they only found it with ground penetrating radar.
From here Petra: The Treasury Mystery

Ground penetrating radar has been conducted and doorways 'underneath the Treasury' and a fountain in the middle of the plaza were discoverd. The excavations in front of the Treasury have uncovered one of these doors, as seen to the right!

Wonder why they radar didn't revel the stairwell as its a much bigger feature/anomaly than a doorway.

Here is a partial excavation photo from 2003.
plazay3.jpg

It mentions a report about what they found. I haven't found it yet.

Is this a different doorway?
From the state of the stone compared to the shots above I would suggest it is.

KhaznehTomb1.jpeg

Found a copy but cannot access it, bugger: Link

How much is real, how much is restored?
The Petra Great Temple | Summary

And why Brown University?

Last edited:
OP
Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Reactions
Great stuff @ Jd755. It's the same doorway, they sure don't want to show us much do they?

Lots of good stuff on those links, except the really long one, I never did access the actual information. I'll try again later.

Below info from this link Petra: The Treasury Plaza this has more pictures too.
It all adds to the mystery, seems there is another level to Petra and not just another floor or basement.

"When you see the Treasury, it looks like it is at ground level. You can walk right up to it. Upon closer inspection you can see that the front of the Treasury was damaged and that it has been repaired sometime back in history. If the plaza is far below the surface then the Treasury would have been high up on the side of the cliff. "

Mojo923

Reactions
Jordanian here! I go to Petra at least once/year as it's an area that I absolutely love exploring and it never gets old. It's common knowledge here that has been discovered of Petra is a very small percentage of what actually exists. In recent years security has become a lot more strict there and even to us Jordanians we can't go a lot of areas in there any more. Recently Netflix filmed a series there called Jinn and now the security is even more tightened, and they banned filming there.
Anyways. It's also common knowledge for locals who care to ask that the bedouins that actually live there know a lot more than even the so called 'officials' about the history and secrets of Petra. When you go there, you can see some of these bedouins popping up really high up from the smallest crevices in the rock. Even the teenagers and children of the bedouins are incredibly adept at climbing those rocks. They do it with mind boggling ease. I've been building some relationships with the bedouin tour guides on my last couple of trips and I met a 90-year old woman who lives there the last time I was there (around May) and I plan on visiting her again soon to have a long conversation. I will bring up some of these topics and see what she has to say.
Here's a pic of me last time I was there from what's called 'the view'. You can't climb up there by yourself. A bedouin tour guide takes you up there and back and it takes about 45 mins each way. It's not an easy climb at all but our guide (teenager btw) was doing it like he was on a leisurely afternoon stroll, with a cigarette in his mouth the whole time no less, lol.

If you have any specific questions I should keep in mind for my next visit, please let me know!

a361c60c-b8d9-40dc-a410-ab21f7d7d68a.jpeg

JWW427

Reactions
New video.
Its really good. This is Newearth Channel's interpretation at the genuine age of the many ages of Petra.
Sylvie Ivanova is not the best narrator, but her team's discoveries are top notch. She covers a ton of stuff off the beaten tourist path.
JWW

Last edited:

Starmonkey

Reactions
Jordanian here! I go to Petra at least once/year as it's an area that I absolutely love exploring and it never gets old. It's common knowledge here that has been discovered of Petra is a very small percentage of what actually exists. In recent years security has become a lot more strict there and even to us Jordanians we can't go a lot of areas in there any more. Recently Netflix filmed a series there called Jinn and now the security is even more tightened, and they banned filming there.
Anyways. It's also common knowledge for locals who care to ask that the bedouins that actually live there know a lot more than even the so called 'officials' about the history and secrets of Petra. When you go there, you can see some of these bedouins popping up really high up from the smallest crevices in the rock. Even the teenagers and children of the bedouins are incredibly adept at climbing those rocks. They do it with mind boggling ease. I've been building some relationships with the bedouin tour guides on my last couple of trips and I met a 90-year old woman who lives there the last time I was there (around May) and I plan on visiting her again soon to have a long conversation. I will bring up some of these topics and see what she has to say.
Here's a pic of me last time I was there from what's called 'the view'. You can't climb up there by yourself. A bedouin tour guide takes you up there and back and it takes about 45 mins each way. It's not an easy climb at all but our guide (teenager btw) was doing it like he was on a leisurely afternoon stroll, with a cigarette in his mouth the whole time no less, lol.

If you have any specific questions I should keep in mind for my next visit, please let me know!

How were they REALLY made, if any of them know?... I'm thinking NOT by hand tools. Or technology!
😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉