Flame-bladed swords. 15th Century Pro-Sports, and the Battle of Anghiari

HulkSmash

Reactions
Ok, just went on a research ride to nowhere but I wanted to share. The word "lance" supposedly means "light spear". If it were to mean light as in "not heavy", I am troubled by that. The lances I saw in England just last month were kinda big and seemed heavy to me. Maybe the 'light' part actually meant it created light like an electrified weapon probably would. I dunno, just a thought.

SanPhaedrus

Reactions
Still swirling around with the wormies now... If you're following along, I posted a curious description of 'Solomon's Shamir' in this thread. It was a particular worm that allowed stone and metal and wood to become completely malleable... Sort of fits in with the idea of 'builder worm-creatures' who helped build the ark, etc....

On the Wiki page for Solomon's Shamir, there is reference to a modern re-telling of the story by Leonard Tushnet titled 'The Worm's Shamir'. I have found and linked it here. It tells of the discovery of a worm that secretes a certain type of mucus that allows the disintegration of metal. They synthesize it and name it 'shamirite'.

Here's a small excerpt detailing it's effects:

The Israeli troops were ready. They had no weapons other than truncheons and huge wheeled ceramic tanks with long hoses, looking like old-fashioned fire engines. When the reconnaissance patrols returned and said a dozen· armed jeeps and a force of machine gunners was mi its way, capsules of shamirite were dropped into the tanks and the· high pressure units activated. Dr. Ben-Ari and Moshe watched the battle from a rooftop. Just at dawn the Syrians came into view. They met no resistance until they were within range of the hoses. Then they were sprayed with the shamirite solution. They kept advancing but within a matter of minutes the jeeps began to fall apart as they hit the tiniest obstacle in their path; the rifles and machine-guns splintered; even the steel buttons on the ammunition belts disintegrated.
And breaking sequence with this thought, I found something else that's just a tiny bit curious... It's a bit difficult looking into these specific worms mentioned in the Talmud because one of the most prolific locations in Jewish history (for Talmudic interpretations, I believe) is... Worms, Germany.... So the search results are a bit less than ideal so far.

Furthermore, in my search, I found an odd reference to KAPPA WORMS in regards to Jewish dietary law:
For the kappa of lettuce, take radishes; for the kappa of radishes—leeks; for the kappa of leeks—hot water; for all kinds of kappa—hot water. And in the meanwhile, recite the following: “Kappa, kappa, I remember you, your seven daughters, and your eight daughters-in-law.”
If you're familiar with Japanese folklore, Kappa are:
Once befriended, kappa may perform any number of tasks for human beings, such as helping farmers irrigate their land. Sometimes, they bring fresh fish, which is regarded as a mark of good fortune for the family that receives it.They are also highly knowledgeable about medicine, and legend states that they taught the art of bone setting to human beings.
I've skipped around a few places here.... Maybe some pictures would help. I like pictures.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
This shamir appears to be an insect. Sounds pretty interesting for its own thread, and to avoid derailing this one. That is if its not a human size electric worm.

Timeshifter

Reactions
From Waki

'The material to be worked, whether stone, wood or metal, was affected by being "shown to the Shamir." Following this line of logic (anything that can be 'shown' something must have eyes to see), early Rabbinical scholars described the Shamir almost as a living being. Other early sources, however, describe it as a green stone. For storage, the Shamir was meant to have been always wrapped in wool and stored in a container made of lead; any other vessel would burst and disintegrate under the Shamir's gaze. The Shamir was said to have been either lost or had lost its potency (along with the "dripping of the honeycomb") by the time of the destruction of the First Temple[4] at the hands of Nebuchadnezzar in 586 B.C'

This sounds like a laser to me?

Also, x-rays cannot penetrate lead (neither could Supermans eyes...) this worm could be something similar to a hand held tool of some sort?