Single photo: 1899 statue of Leif Erikson

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
This photograph was allegedly made in 1899. The statue itself was made in 1897. Well, may be it was, may be it was not.

Does he look like a viking to you? I could swear to God I’ve seen those two breast plates somewhere before.

LEIF THE DISCOVERER
SON OF ERIK
WHO SAILED FROM ICELAND
AND LANDED ON THIS CONTINENT
A.D. 1000

Leif Erikson statue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
A5921F43-8B4E-4AF3-B1EF-FE0A48C97F2F.jpeg

Apollyon

Reactions
Last edited:

whitewave

Reactions
norse-goddess.jpeg

skadi norse god (female)

norse-goddess_1.jpg
authentic female viking armor from the period. Or just leather vests. Some of the berserker men didn't even wear shirts. I've looked through Roman, Greek, Spartan (yes, I know they were also Greek but they were in a class by themselves), Japanese, Norse, armor of gods and heroes but the only ones that had that Madonna bra look to them were either for female warriors or steampunk/LARP costumes except this one which gives zero information on what type (or gender) of warrior wore it.
norse-goddess_2.jpg

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
This female viking attire is understandable as far as specific accessories go. I doubt Leif Erikson would have worn those. Additionally the appearence of the quality of the armor is very different. Then again, are those representations of the authentic items, or our CGI interpretation?

I think there have to be other examples out there as well. Apollyon found an interesting resemblance with those shields.

parta

Reactions
so he was into nipple twisting and ballet dancing. must be boring on the boat. must be cold on the willy in the north atlantic.

original in boston was carved by a woman anne whitney. its her perfect viking.

Last edited:

whitewave

Reactions
so he was into nipple twisting and ballet dancing. must be boring on the boat. must be cold on the willy in the north atlantic.
Dang it, parta. I've told you to issue spew alerts. :)

This female viking attire is understandable as far as specific accessories go. I doubt Leif Erikson would have worn those. Additionally the appeaence of the quality of the armor is very different. Then again, are those representations of the authentic items, or our CGI interpretation?
I think there have to be other examples out here as well. Apollyon found an interesting resemblance with those shields.
The closest I could find to resemble "leif erikson's" armor was spartan armor. Not much of a match but slightly similar. That's why I searched for pics of Greek, Roman, and other gods and heroes as it may not BE Leif Erikson. Apollyon may be onto something but I can't imagine those shields would have offered much protection while also occupying the use of one hand. And why would a Viking emulate anything the Christians did, especially in matters of battle? They did, after all, kick the Christians butts, sometimes wearing no shirts even against sworded and chainmailed warriors. My best guess is that the statue is not Leif Erikson.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
original in boston was carved by a woman anne whitney. its her perfect viking.
Of course she did, and this is her 1906 Photo, one of whopping 3.5 photographs taken within her 93 y.o. long life, at least 70 of which fall within the age of photography.

Abby_Adeline_Manning_and_Anne_Whitney.png

Here are some additional 1900 - 1915 photographs for comparison.

We also have one of those individuals in Seattle - Elmer Fisher. Allegedly he built half of Seattle. Just because there is a name attached to something, it does not mean that those people actually did what's attributed to them. Especially when we talk about the 19th century.

parta

Reactions
Of course she did, and this is her 1906 Photo, one of whooping 3.5 photographs taken within her 93 y.o. long life, at least 70 of which fall within the age of photography.

We also have one of those individuals in Seattle - Elmer Fisher. Allegedly he built half of Seattle. Just because there is a name attached to something, it does not mean that those people actually did what's attributed to them. Especially when we talk about the 19th century.
doesn't look like she had any good sides.

Apollyon

Reactions
Of course she did, and this is her 1906 Photo, one of whopping 3.5 photographs taken within her 93 y.o. long life, at least 70 of which fall within the age of photography..
This point can not be made enough. Many of the sculptors who's attributed works are in Staglieno cemetery, lived well into the age of video even, yet none of them sought to preserve this priceless technique?

Monumental Cemetery of Staglieno

Edit's I don't know why that sentence was so difficult.​

Last edited:
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Struggling to find dates when these besagews were used in conjunction with chain link armor.

PrincepAugus

Reactions
From my armchair research through forums, videos, and historical documents (and the video above), they became more prominent by the late 14th century. Which is more than 300 years after the supposed Vikings in the 10th-11th century.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Nice building, but what relation does this building have to Leif Erikson?
______

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This guy does not look like no Leif Erikson to me.

Viking_at_MN_Capitol.jpg

Check his belt out.

Alice-LC3-Green-Belt.JPG

leiferiksoncommonwealthsocial.jpg

flameto

Reactions
Nothing except to support the idea that Milwaukee may have a hidden history that this guy is a part of. (I didn't know anything about the town.) If they'll obscure the source of buildings, it's easy to change the labeling of a statue. Could be some other guy entirely.

If you look at the inscription, it seems lower quality than the the rest of the carving. Could be my imagination though.

Last edited:

flameto

Reactions
Wow. I was looking at those breastplates earlier and wondering about their effectiveness as armor. Now that you say that, they make way more sense as metaphorical breasts. They even have nipples.

A couple of rear views.

Leif_Ericson_statue_in_Milwaukee,_rear_view.JPG

Leif_Ericson_statue_in_Milwaukee,_rear_view_detail.JPG

1. Pretty legs.

2. Is he wearing sandals with socks?

3. What can be learned from the decorations on the horn? Maybe that's a reindeer near the right? Would be nice to see all sides of the horn and see what the letters say.

Silly theory: maybe the woman who was commissioned to sculpt this had no idea what Leif actually looked like and decided to just sculpt some eyecandy.

Last edited:
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I do not know about legs, socks and sandals, but I know exactly what that belt is and what is depicted on the belt. I actually had to run to one of my neighbors to take a picture.

This is a police belt with belt keepers and a portable radio holder. Only the holder is upside down. The statue was allegedly made in 1897. It's either somebody is sending us a message, or the so-called vikings had portable radios. The fact that the holder is upside down has to have a meaning of its own, I think.

police_belt.JPG

Leif_Ericson_statue_in_Milwaukee,_rear_view_detail_1.jpg

flameto

Reactions
How about the weird spiked cap/helmet? Has anyone seen anything like that before? Another item that seems more symbolic than defensive.