Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Yup

Votes: 52 86.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

Effie

Reactions
"The Pixar Story" Documentary suggests that there was a direct link between the research/advancement of computer graphics and the 60's space race:
"The Space Race ignited funding in computer research for a select number of universities around the country. In the 1960's, the University of Utah set up one of the first labs in computer graphics, headed by the top scientists in the field."

There Ed Catmull (later president of Pixar) was said to have first worked on rendering graphics around a curved surface. In the early 70's the University made advancements in shading, animation, visualization and virtual reality.

Found some additional information on the history of the University of Utah Computer Graphics program:

University of Utah
The University of Utah established one of the pioneer, and certainly one of the most influential computer graphics programs in the country when they asked David Evans (who joined Utah in 1965) to establish a program that could advance the state of the art in this new field in 1968. The computer science department had received a large Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) grant ($5M/year for 3 years) which resulted in the work of many faculty and graduate students who have pushed the CGI discipline to where it is today. In the words of Robert Rivlin in his book The Algorithmic Image: Graphic Visions of the Computer Age, “Almost every influential person in the modern computer-graphics community either passed through the University of Utah or came into contact with it in some way.”
After the 1957 launch of the USSR Sputnik satellite in 1957, ARPA invested in programs across the country to investigate diverse areas of scientific advancement that could help the United States remain competitive in advancing technology. The funding that they provided the University of Utah, which was the fourth node on the infant ARPAnet, was to investigate how the emerging field of computer graphics could play a role in this technological competitiveness.
According to this, the development of CGI was a military funded project to maintain technological competitiveness with the USSR during the space race.

Last edited:

AnthroposRex

Reactions
What do you think of this? If the ancients supposedly mapped it, do you think they might be inhabited?
Personally I think this map is really interesting. I can't figure if it's representing hollow earth and we are on the concave inside, like in The Smoky God, or if it's supposed to represent a flat earth and there are "lands beyond the poles" like admiral Byrd said.
Either way, it's my opinion that if it were legal we could go a bit more open source and crowd funded and maybe get some solid answers.
Like, modified batteries for drones to send them as far as possible to somewhere interesting.

Obertryn

Reactions
Yeah, I'm no brilliant NASA scientist but doesn't mould require a high concentration of moisture, available air and very specific optimum temperature range to actually grow? I guess now that they claim that Earth's atmosphere actually stretches all the way to the goddamn Moon, any inconvenient occurrences like this can be explained away.

Or maybe they really did find aliens and the crew of the ISS are now host to chestbursters as we speak.

BrokenAgate

Reactions
We've seen, in previous videos, how the astronauts love to play with water, flinging it hither and yon all over the space station for the sake of an amusing news story. Couple that with the moisture they exhale with every breath, and I'm surprised there isn't a freakin' jungle growing on that thing. Moisture has to go somewhere. If it isn't sucked out of the space station somehow, then it hangs around, creating a nice, cozy place for organisms to grow. And that brings up the question of why all of the windows aren't fogged up.