The Vacuum Sugar Incident at the 1851 Great Exhibition in London

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
This story is interesting, and apparently happened at the 1851 London 'Great Exhibition', inside the 'Crystal Palace'. A man who invented a contraption, a high vacuum container, what for boiling sugar cane at lower temperature, inadvertently created a star door, in what became known as 'The Vacuum Sugar Incident'.

The machine made a popping noise and began to produce a dark mist, which spread along the floor and appeared as a window to the stars. One woman, emboldened by her husband, attempted to put her head over the mist, to look down upon the stars. Did not seem to go well for her.

Sound like an interesting place. I heard this on the new Mysterious Universe podcast, good episode this week, it's towards the end.

I am curious of the layout and location of this expo. The palace was moved to a new location before eventually burning down in 1936. Does anyone recognize the building behind the expo building in the pictures where you can see it? It looks impressive.

Dunno how well this fits with any of the theories, it's a one building expo, which certainly seems reasonable, as far as the structure and construction required. It's relocation and destruction seem somewhat reasonable as well.

It was designed by Joseph Paxton, a lifelong gardener, who happened to design mansions for the Rothschilds in his spare time.

It did post some amazing visitation numbers, with many thousands daily, and as high as one hundred thousand in a single day.

Last edited:

humanoidlord

Reactions
that page you linked is fiction of the "creepy pasta" type, if this really happened there would be more information about it

OP
ISeenItFirst

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
We'll, it doesn't list sources, but the imply an official report that was recently declassified. I don't know, just figured it was an interesting starting point for a thread on this particular exhibition. Although it seems a rather tame one (exhibition) by our standards.

humanoidlord

Reactions
We'll, it doesn't list sources, but the imply an official report that was recently declassified. I don't know, just figured it was an interesting starting point for a thread on this particular exhibition. Although it seems a rather tame one (exhibition) by our standards.
i remenber seeing that that portals of london website is fiction, thats why i said it

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
It’s really hard to say what’s true and what’s not any longer.

Is it enough for one guy to say that he is the one who made the story up. Following this pattern we will have to dismiss a lot of things out there.

Though lack of additional sources could be telling.

OP
ISeenItFirst

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
We'll, the other links seem to have some pretty good info. The story is just that either way, a story. Not much use to us here anyhow. I'd be surprised if the guys at MU used a known fiction site, they tend to be on top of that stuff, but I'm sure if they did, it wasn't the first time, they look for pretty far out topics.

Last edited: