Exposition Universelle, Paris. Photographer unknown. 1900.

jd755

Reactions
The sheer scale of this exposition is breathtaking but do read the names on the buildings...why for example is the algerian presence so big and russe and siberia so small in comparison?

also the grand bretagne aka great britain presence is tiny so how much of the mighty british empire 'tales' are simply made up?
tartaria/tartary/tartarie doesn't feature anywhere, save in the buildings themselves.

the tour du monde which i have been looking at is shown on the plan as one building which isn't clear in any of the photographs/pictures/engravings.

http://www.laboiteverte.fr/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Exposition-universelle-1900-Plan-Pratique.jpg

0harris0

Reactions
also the grand bretagne aka great britain presence is tiny so how much of the mighty british empire 'tales' are simply made up?
tartaria/tartary/tartarie doesn't feature anywhere, save in the buildings themselves.
good point but I can't imagine France wanting a large British presence at their own World's Fair, we weren't exactly neighbours on great terms!
also, from what I gather - wasn't Tartaria almost entirely erased from maps/books by 1900?

(is there any 20th century reference to the Tartarian Empire?)

jd755

Reactions
This page is real, real goldmine of pictures and words.
"L'Exposition Universelle de Paris, 1900"
Scaffolding of 'the day' looks and feels like repairs or finishing NOT construction.
globe.jpg

and this one showing real crowds
Post automatically merged:

good point but I can't imagine France wanting a large British presence at their own World's Fair, we weren't exactly neighbours on great terms!
also, from what I gather - wasn't Tartaria almost entirely erased from maps/books by 1900?

(is there any 20th century reference to the Tartarian Empire?)
just throwing stuff out as it appears...i for one do not believe the france versus england and then great britain and then united kingdom animosity through the ages as being an indicator of reality...
as for tartaria who knows i wasn't around then just have the feeling it is still around but hidden in plain sight..
crowds.png

0harris0

Reactions
as for tartaria who knows i wasn't around then just have the feeling it is still around but hidden in plain sight..
neither was I but contemporary maps and encyclopedias changed a lot over the 1800s to the point where it's virutally negated in public information!

BrokenAgate

Reactions
These photos are incredible! I just can't imagine why all of that would be destroyed. It's stunning, it's gorgeous, it's obviously built to last for centuries, not temporarily. Look at the buildings we have now: ugly, boxy, depressing to look at, depressing to have to work in, as well.

jd755

Reactions
These photos are incredible! I just can't imagine why all of that would be destroyed. It's stunning, it's gorgeous, it's obviously built to last for centuries, not temporarily. Look at the buildings we have now: ugly, boxy, depressing to look at, depressing to have to work in, as well.
well these two sites will blow your socks off.. been perusing for ages its staggering the sheer volume of what was done for a temporary exhibition...perhaps those that know the tartarian/predecessor way of doing things were trying their 'powers' out..

L'Exposition Universelle de 1900 | J'aime mon patrimoine

Paris d’Hier - Exposition Universelle Paris 1900. - Bernard.K-Project

here is a translation from this page where the apparent amount of speculative building gets revealed not to mention it was the last of five.

L'exposition Universelle de 1900 | The BouLive

The Universal Exhibition of 1900
The prosperity of France during the Belle Epoque gives Paris the privilege of receiving no less than 5 universal exhibitions between 1850 and 1900. But the exhibition of 1900 is the one that surpasses them all.
In regulatory terms (BIE), universal exhibitions are called registered international exhibitions. They have a universal theme of interest and relevance for all of humanity. Since 1895, they have been held in principle at least every five years. Their maximum duration is six months.
In what way the universal exhibition of 1900 is it a symbol of the recovered power of France?

I- The exposure of all sizes
A- The largest of all the exhibitions.
The Universal exhibition was inaugurated April 14, 1900 by President Emile Loubet, then it opens to the public on April 15 and ends on November 12, 1900. It covers 216 hectares through the Champs Elysees, Champs de Mars, Wood Vincennes, the Invalides ...

The Universal Exhibition of 1900 is the fifth world exhibition to have him in Paris in less than 50 years, the first having taken place in 1855.
It has a very important influence, it is the biggest universal exhibition ever organized with more than 51 million visitors from around the world.
1888, Barcelona: 2 million
1889, Paris: 32 million
1893, Chicago: 27 million
1897, Brussels: 8 million
1900, Paris: 51 million
In 212 days, the Exhibition brings together no less than 83,000 exhibitors. The exhibition is considered a kind of escalation to excess.

B- Urbanistic Revolution of Paris.
To accommodate such an exhibition, the city of Paris underwent many changes. First, the city has 3 additional stations that are the Gare d'Orsay, Gare des Invalides and Gare de Lyon. These stations allow the massive arrival of tourists but they are also the symbol of the industrial progress of France. The streets, the bridges are enlarged as well as the large squares to facilitate the circulation in the capital for the visitors. The city is also equipped with large bicycle parking, which is needed more and more to move.

In addition to developments, Paris saw the birth of new buildings in the image of the Eiffel Tower during the exhibition of 1889. The Petit and the Grand Palais are built to accommodate exhibitors. Fountains come to beautify the capital, and the Place de la Concorde is designed to become the entrance to the World Fair.

With its new large spaces, large buildings, the Eiffel Tower or the Ferris wheel (100m Diameter), Paris shows its size.

C- Innovative power of France.
If Paris can also host the World Fair regularly, it is because France is one of the greatest innovative powers of the 19th century. Thanks to the universal exhibitions, Paris becomes the showcase of innovation in the world.

Paris, presents to the world its Metropolitan, an urban revolution inspired by London. The first Paris metro line (Porte de Vincennes - Porte Maillot) was inaugurated on 19 July 1900 during the exhibition, but its technique still needs to be developed.
Paris also presents among its innovations a moving sidewalk of "the future".
All these innovations attract the visitors but it is especially "the fairy electricity" which covets the glances.
"Palaces" are built to accommodate different innovations. The palace of electricity or the palace of industry, chemistry or mechanics.

II- A legacy of the Belle Epoque
A- "Marking the end of the century", an optimistic and civilizing world.
The theme that France gives to its universal exhibition is that of "balance sheet of the century". This exhibition is part of the prosperous period of the beautiful era, the conflicts seem distant, which gives it a very optimistic aspect. The nineteenth century was the century of innovation for France, the values of the revolution are definitely acquired, the universal exhibition shows the beauty of France.

The universal exhibition is a symbol of growing democracy in Europe because it shows what men have been able to do and advocates freedom.
The universal exhibition of 1900 is also an element of civic federation. France wants to show the world its rights of the man and the citizen. The whole of France is gathered and celebrated on the occasion of this exhibition, in particular with the banquet of the mayors which gathers 20277 people.

B- Wealth of the world, beauty of science and harmony of peoples.
France in 1900 wants to make its world fair, a spectacle of the wealth of the world while the race for the colonies and stronger than ever. By showing the riches of the world, France can justify these colonies to the population. By emphasizing the harmony

gobsmacking if only i could read french

Les expositions universelles de Paris, de 1855 à 1937.

Last edited:

BStankman

Reactions
Not that I could find, but take a look at an other building:

Yes that building is very curious.
Why would they need to edit out the double head eagles above the cherubs?

the_belgian_pavilion_at_the_un.jpg Belgique.jpgLe_pavillon_de_la_Belgique_à_l'exposition_universelle_de_Paris_en_1900.jpg
Belgium pavilion / Le pavillon de la Belgique

afiche-expo-1900-palais-russe.jpgAK_51161133_gr_1.jpgCS9620.jpg05226v.jpg

These are the best images I could find. Original and then enhanced.

03f0dbb702c12fbb5b784d6fc981be79.jpgcanvas2.png

Vue-13.jpgcanvas.jpg

1d184100d50e.jpg canvas 4.jpg

b4142e93625e.jpg canvas 3.jpg

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Check out the ghost people to the right of the enormous bull sculpture.
The water cart on the extreme left of the picture seems to belong in the 1700's. Source
2012 21 July_0011.jpg

This one says its a mosque and sat on it is a very big owl Tartary?

2012 21 July_0013.jpg

A very good and fairly long article on the lead up and execution of the Exposition Paris 1900 Exposition: History, Images, Interpretation — Ideas

The 'electric angle.' exposition universelle of 1900 | the paris apartment

Last edited: