Ditch Tesla, buy Babcock Runabout: 1,244 miles on one battery in 1909

jd755

Reactions
I have ridden in an electric milk float, pick up and bogie over the years and all of them had solid rubber tyres. The former where used at the dairy the sixteen year old me worked at and the latter were used in the shipyard.

HulkSmash

Reactions
very cool information find KD! I had no idea this many electric cars existed in general, let alone 100 years ago! Really explains a lot about our history. Makes more sense regarding a reset. If there was that much knowledge about electricity, batteries, boy it makes me angry that it all was suppressed, destroyed, forgotten! Could you imagine what our world would be like today if transportation was kept electric since then? Wow, it would be very, very different, in so many ways. Grrrr.....feel like smashing!

jd755

Reactions
Notes on the advertising truck above (160 acres for free, yes please!)
Electric motor on each wheel.
Solid rubber tyre and rim brakes with metal wheels.
Leaf springs on each axle.
Radiator or oil cooler just in front of the battery box.
Steel pressure vessel at rear of battery box.
Given its in Canada there must be some form of heating in use for the drivers cab which is hard too fathom.
Looks like its all wheel steer as well if those pairs of what look like pistons on the wheels are a guide, possibly hydraulic steering and if so there must be a hydraulic pump and motor to maintain pressure so could this motor be the source of the heat, not to mention the possibility of heat coming from the pressurised hydraulic fluid.

There are seven open throw knife switches behind the drivers head, with another set on the opposite side of the cap in between there are at least a pair of bigger knife switches and what look like two volt/amp meters above his head.

The chassis though isn't that 'immense' so my guess is the batteries are nickel iron batteries like these nickel iron battery information
not lead acid which were the batteries on the milk float and pick up. Looking back not sure about the bogey batteries as they predated the pick up by decades.

We really are being regressed into a technological dead end.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Here is an interesting 19th century electric combo.

electric_car.jpg

Hybrid Car
In 1889, a gasoline-electric hybrid rail-car was devised by one William H. Patton. Although not a car by our definition, it's still a very interesting concept. The same chap also adapted his design for use in a boat propulsion system the same year.
A little later in 1901, whilst working at the Lohner Coach Factory, one Ferdinand Porsche developed his Mixte. This was a four-wheel-drive hybrid version of the "System Lohner-Porsche" electrical carriage that was displayed at the Paris World Fair of the same year.

whitewave

Reactions
I'd not heard/seen these hybrids so I looked up "Porsche Mixte" and found this unlikely story as the official narrative:

Despite Porsche having no formal engineering education, Jacob Lohner, at his Lohner-Werke, employed him to develop an electric powertrain for his coaches. The enormous Lohner required 1.8 tonnes of batteries consisting of a 44-cell 80-volt lead-acid battery, all housed in a spring-suspended battery container to protect the fragile cells. The four electric motors weighed a total of 1280 pounds, contributing to a total vehicle weight of over 4 tonnes on its Continental pneumatic tires. (Do those tires look like they're capable of holding 8000 pounds plus the weight of passengers?)

Porsche won the 1905 Potting Prize as Austria's most outstanding automotive engineer. In 1906, Porsche was snapped up by Daimler-Benz as chief designer. The Lohner-Porsche's design was studied by Boeing and NASA to create the Apollo program's Lunar Roving Vehicle. Many of its design principles were mirrored in the Rover's design. The series hybrid concept underpins many modern railway locomotives.

I often wonder what happened to all the formally educated, trained, skilled people during our mysterious time frame that all these rank amateurs were snapped up like gold to (re)create technology. You've got anti-science priests/monks creating architecture and technological devices as well as try-your-luck-and-move-to Vienna guys with no formal education inventing things that our current technology depends on.

Obertryn

Reactions
It's so bizarre looking at those things. Like someone took a horse carriage and slapped on an electric engine just for the hell of it. No real consideration for speed and maneuverability or energy consumption in relation to weight like when designing modern vehicles, which suggests that whoever designed them had no clue what they were doing, it just "worked".

jd755

Reactions
No real consideration for speed and maneuverability or energy consumption in relation to weight like when designing modern vehicles, which suggests that whoever designed them had no clue what they were doing, it just "worked".
That's the difficulty with applying today's methodology to the pictures of the past. Speed wasn't an issue, neither was energy consumption. Being 'modern' was clearly as important back then as it is today as these things existed along with horse and cart and petrol engined road transport along with steam and electric trains.
Electric power was the 'new god' of the day back then unlike today where it is taken for granted indeed could be argued by many alive today a necessity of life. The only reason speed, maneuverability, energy consumption appear to matter today is the constant manipulation downwards of the value of 'the currency' to make 'expense and cost' the current 'gods'.

Point is back when these things were running around batteries lasted longer and could do more than 'modern' batteries. The hardware was engineered, not designed, engineered to work and work for a very long time without breaking down unlike today's 'vehicles' which have built in obsolescence and stop working when the 'operating system' decides.

We really are being regressed into some kind of zombie reality for reasons I know not. Actually i feel it's because we remembering what we truly are.

Last edited: