Great/Grandparents and What We Learn From Them

Bettie29

Reactions
Just stumbled across this:

...am I being cynical or is there something a little...off...about these recordings? Or have they just been so outstandingly restored that they look hi-res even though they’re from 1929? Anyway, interesting insight into oldies from that time period

whitewave

Reactions
Nice find. "Now the newspapers sometimes print the events a day BEFORE they happen" (6:00 mark). Being facetious or truthful?
Also, I had never heard of any U.S. war of 1859 so I looked it up. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be American.
"Word has finally reached both Washington and London about the escalating crisis. Officials on both sides of the Atlantic were shocked that a dispute over a pig had grown into a stand off involving as many as 3 warships, 84 guns and over 2,600 men."

Something else that struck me as odd was the gentleman saying his (war) company defeated the Dutch. Not aware that U.S. fought the Dutch in the mid 1800's, I looked into it (barely) and found that while most Dutch immigrants fought on the Union side, the Confederacy was funded through the Dutch who bought their bonds. Now, why would they do that? Seems you could end a war you disagreed with by simply refusing to fund it. And why would the CSA call the German immigrants "long-eared Dutch"?

History just gets weirder and weirder.

Last edited:

makzpj

Reactions
I’m going to tell you about something my mother has told means that always has bothered me because it’s odd.

I live in Mexico. My mother comes from rural Mexico. At her time, there was hardly any school where she lived. Sometimes the government sent a teacher who stayed there for a few months, and then went away. Then they sent a new one for a few months...

She hardly learned how to read and write. At the time women were not required to know those things. My grand mother’s case is worse, she still lives and is 95 year old. She never learned anything about reading, writing, school or whatever.

But here comes the weird part. Apparently my great grand mother not only could read, but was an avid reader, well versed on many topics. When I ask my mother or my grand mother why my great grand mother could read they are like 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️.

But that’s not the end of it. My great grand mother used to read stories from the Old Testament to the kids at evening. There was no tv, only radio, so this was a form of entertainment. Problem is, from what my mother recalls, there is no way this was the Old Testament.

This book had stories about the past. Including giants. And also it had prophecies. I recall it predicted cars, “bombs” under cities (my mother believes this could refer to natural gas pipes underground), cash will become useless, environmetal collapse, among other things that definitely are not on the Old Testament as we know it. It sounded more like science fiction.

Whatever that book was, it’s lost now. We might never know...

irishbalt

Reactions
I’m going to tell you about something my mother has told means that always has bothered me because it’s odd.

I live in Mexico. My mother comes from rural Mexico. At her time, there was hardly any school where she lived. Sometimes the government sent a teacher who stayed there for a few months, and then went away. Then they sent a new one for a few months...

She hardly learned how to read and write. At the time women were not required to know those things. My grand mother’s case is worse, she still lives and is 95 year old. She never learned anything about reading, writing, school or whatever.

But here comes the weird part. Apparently my great grand mother not only could read, but was an avid reader, well versed on many topics. When I ask my mother or my grand mother why my great grand mother could read they are like 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️.

But that’s not the end of it. My great grand mother used to read stories from the Old Testament to the kids at evening. There was no tv, only radio, so this was a form of entertainment. Problem is, from what my mother recalls, there is no way this was the Old Testament.

This book had stories about the past. Including giants. And also it had prophecies. I recall it predicted cars, “bombs” under cities (my mother believes this could refer to natural gas pipes underground), cash will become useless, environmetal collapse, among other things that definitely are not on the Old Testament as we know it. It sounded more like science fiction.

Whatever that book
was, it’s lost now. We might never know...
Sounds like you have an investigation to conduct, let us know what you find. Mexico is full of mysteries I'm sure.

codis

Reactions
I never had a chance to meet my grandfathers.
One was a Luftwaffe pilot in WWII (Ju88, Fw190A) and met the fate of 95% of his fellow pilots.
He came from a rural area, married a girl from his village during war, and had a son he never saw. His widow (i.e. my grandmother) told me only very few about him and his war experiences. Only funny stories that he sometimes deviated a few mile from his route to drop dirty clothes for washing from the plane. His last assignment of defending civil and military installments in the Hannover area is well documented, as is his death. Since I grew up in the Eastern Bloc, I had a chance to visit his grave only after the fall of communism, in the '90s.
The other grandfather seemed less smart, and enlisted in the army, only to serve at the eastern front. He was once buried alive and got a shrapnel in his head, causing severe damage and making him unsuitable for further service. Only in the hospital, he met his later wife, who was doing her mandatory work service there.
She herself was from East Prussia, now Russian teritory. This grandfather suffered from repercussions of his injury during the rest of his life, and died a few weeks before I was born (mid 1960s). My grandmother never spoke about him, except in contempt. The relationship had obviously not been so good, the brain damage might have played a role (as me and my mother - her daughter - use to say).

I heard some first-hand war stories from older neighbors that served at the military, mostly about the eastern from. But I was a kid at that time, and they tailored it to kids, obviously. But even then, I realized the contradictions to the stuff I heard from communist-indoctrinated school teachers (sometimes also first-hand war experiences) and from mass media.
One of the first cognitive dissonances I ran into in my life ...