Fake achievements of Russian explorer Fyodor Konyukhov

Could Fyodor Konyukhov pull this Pacific crossing off?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Was having a couple of brewskies in the backyard with my Russian neighbor the other day. He told me about his compatriot explorer whose name is Fyodor Konyukhov. I was about to fall off my chair when Vlad told me about some of the feats of this Fyodor guy. They definitely picked my interest, so I did some looking into it. Sure enough, the guys achievements are epic. Well, epic is a very modest word for what this gentleman claims he did. Look for yourself, but the guy has to be some super-human. May be he is an android, I don't know.

One of the reasons I'm doing this article is to show how various informational injections containing words similar to "circumnavigate", or "round-the-world", contribute to our perception of the geographical features of our planet Earth. In this case we are talking about its shape.

I do think that the truth pertaining to either size, or shape of our planet is being withheld from the general populace. While I do not know whether it is spherical, flat, concave, convex, or simply humongous in size, there are plenty of evidence to suggest that our planet is different.

Fyodor Konyukhov
63 years old in 2014

Fyodor Konyukhov_turgoyak_9.png

Achievements
Sailing
In May 2008, Konyukhov completed a solo circumnavigation of Antarctica in a sailboat, becoming the first person to do so. His attempt began on 26 January 2008 and took 102 days in total, with his route falling entirely between the 45th and 60th parallels south.

Rowing
Konyukhov has set world records, notably crossing the Atlantic Ocean in a row-boat URALAZ in 46 days, the best 24-hour distance in the same boat (110 miles).

From December 22, 2013 to May 31, 2014 Fyodor Konyukhov crossed the Pacific Ocean starting in the Chilean port of Concon and finishing in Australian town of Mooloolaba (Sunshine Coast) without entering ports and without any external help or assistance. He covered the distance of more than 17,408 km (9400 nautical miles) on the Turgoyak (K9) rowboat in just 162 days.

Ballooning
On 23 July 2016, Konyukhov became the second person to circumnavigate the world in a hybrid hot-air helium balloon. American Steve Fossett is the only other person to have completed the feat, having done so in 2002 on his sixth attempt. Konyukhov took "just over 11 days", as opposed to Fossett's 13 days.

Others
2000 (March) – Completed the longest dog race IDITAROD – 1150 miles from Anchorage to Nome (Northern route)
2007 (May) - Dog sled expedition across Greenland Ice Cap from East to West. Started from Isortoq (East Coast) and finished at West Coast (Ilullisat). Covering about 800 km in 15 days and 22 hours during a Trans-Greenland dog sleigh ride.
2013 (April–May) – Dog sled expedition from North Pole to Canada. Together with his partner - Viktor Simonov they crossed Arctic Ocean in 46 days and reached the shores of Ward Hunt Island (Canada).
In 2011 Konyukhov fulfilled an expedition cross Ethiopia, covering more than 1000 km of route.

Explorers Grand Slam
Fedor is the first Russian mountaineer to complete the 7 Summits challenge for which a person must climb the highest mountains of each of the seven major continents, also he is the first Russian traveller and third person in the world, who completed The Explorers Grand Slam: he also visited both the North Pole and the South Pole.
On May 19, 2012 - Fedor Konyukhov together with the Russian team “7 Summits” reached the top of Mt. Everest. His climbing route was via the Northern Ridge (Tibet). This expedition was devoted to the 20th anniversary of the first Russian ascent of Mt. Everest (via the Southern Col) – May 1992.
There you have it Ladies and Gentlemen. Sounds amazing, what an interesting life, don't you think? Now let us take a look at his achievements. The ones which picked my interest were his rowing achievements. Specifically the world record pertaining to Fyodor's crossing of the Pacific Ocean.

Fyodor Konyukhov: 10,817 miles across the Pacific in 160 days
100% Solo and unassisted

Fyodor Konyukhov_map_pacific.jpg

Trip Stats & Info

• Mr. Konyukhov's age: 63 years old
  • Duration: 159 days and 14 hours
  • Distance traveled: 9,400 nautical miles =10,817 miles = 17,408 kilometers
  • Rowing per 24 hours: 15-18 hours
  • Sleep per 24 hours: 1-2 hours, some days 10-20 minutes per 24 hours
  • Drinking water supply: sea water desalination powered by solar batteries
  • Boat: 29.5 foot carbon fiber vessel named "Turgoyak"
  • Boat weight: over 1,322lbs = 600kg
  • Boat Propulsion: manpower, two oars - no additional mode of propulsion. Assisted by ocean currents.
  • Blister prevention solution: Potassium permanganate
Turgoyak rowing boat

Fyodor Konyukhov_turgoyak_1.jpg Fyodor Konyukhov_turgoyak_2.jpg Fyodor Konyukhov_turgoyak_3.jpg

Rowing Activities

Fyodor Konyukhov_turgoyak_4.png Fyodor Konyukhov_turgoyak_6.png
15-18 hours of rowing a day, 4-5 hours non-stop. In his video Fyodor says that rowing is easy, all you need is determination, strong will and God's support. The first image above is Fyodor after 130 days in the Pacific Ocean.

Sleep per 24 hours

Fyodor Konyukhov_turgoyak_8.png
1-2 hours, sometimes 10-20 minutes. He says he got used to little sleep. The position above is exactly the position Fyodor stated he slept in for the entire duration of his 160 day feat.

Blister prevention: Potassium permanganate

Fyodor Konyukhov_turgoyak_5.png Fyodor Konyukhov_turgoyak_12.png
Fyodor stated that he used Manganese Concentrate to prevent the palms of his hands from blistering.

Roaring 40's

The Roaring Forties 1.jpg The Roaring Forties 2.jpg The Roaring Forties 3.jpg The Roaring Forties 4.jpg The Roaring Forties 5.jpg
Fyodor went through the Roaring 40's armed with two oars.

The Roaring Forties are strong westerly winds found in the Southern Hemisphere, generally between the latitudes of 40 and 50 degrees. Sometimes the Roaring 40's look like in the pictures above. Here is what the pros say, "Sailing the Roaring 40s"
We like to believe that we’ve tamed the world. Cut it down to our size. But then you try to sail the “Roaring 40s” and you realize how much we’re fooling ourselves.

Professionals as compared to Mr. Konyukhov

Alex Gregory
English rower and a two-time Olympic Gold medalist from 2012 and 2016

alex_gregory_rowing_olympics_champion_2.jpg alex_gregory_rowing_olympics_champion_1.png
Alex and several other well prepared sportsmen attempted to set a few world records in the Open Waters Arctic Ocean. The distance they were supposed to travel was under 2000 miles. The crew set 11 out of 12 planned records. They almost made it, but it was not due to their bad physical shape. Cold weather and humidity did the damage. What we are interested is their performance stats.

For additional info: Polar Row and World Records Achieved by the Polar Row 2017 rowing expedition

The_Polar_Row_boat.JPG alex_greagory_attempted_feat_1.png alex_greagory_attempted_feat_6.jpg The_Polar_Row_team_1.jpg
The_Polar_Row_team_pictured_including_British_double_O.jpg alex_greagory_attempted_feat_5.jpg alex_greagory_attempted_feat_16.jpg alex_greagory_attempted_feat_17.jpg alex_greagory_attempted_feat_13.jpg

Paddling In Shifts
With the 29 foot boat constantly moving, each rower took shifts of 1.5 hours on, 1.5 hours off. Essentially three were rowing while the other three were resting.

Fiann Paul (Iceland), Tathagata Roy (India), Danny Longman (UK), Jeff Willis (UK), Carlo Facchino (USA), and Tor Wigum (Norway), made up the first leg’s crew. Three rowed at a time with one navigator. Alex Gregory (UK), Tyler Carnevale (USA), Sam Vye (UK), and Danny Longman (UK) joined for the second leg.

Imagine rowing 90 minutes on and 90 minutes off for twelve days straight in freezing temperatures through wet, bone-chilling winds and (up to) 20 foot waves — all while clipped in by harness to an open-air 29-foot boat with no sails or motor to assist. This ultra endurance expedition, named The Polar Row, captured 11 World Records, including the first man-powered vessel to reach the polar ice-cap, which sit’s at the earth’s northern most latitude.

The two-part expedition began on July 20 in Tromsø, Norway, from where an internationally represented five-man team rowed 520 nautical miles in nine days to the town of Longyearbyen in Svalbard. A few days later, a team of six men departed Longyearbyen for Saudarkrokur, Iceland. This pioneering team decided to take a detour in order to row north to reach the permanent ice-cap and capture yet another record.

But upon departing the ice-shelf, weather conditions, health concerns, and technological difficulties forced the team to seek shelter on August 19, on the active volcanic island of Jan Mayen, over 400 hundred miles away from Iceland. There the team waited, grateful but stranded, until a Norwegian Coastguard boat rescued them and brought them to Norway.

Records aside, their unique telling of the adventure is most compelling. I had the opportunity to interview six of the nine rowing members of the most record-breaking man-powered teamin history. Among their crew of six were two-time Olympic Gold medalist Alex Gregory (UK), the world’s fastest ocean rower and the team’s captain Fiann Paul (Iceland), expert sailor and Exploration Geologist Sam Vye (UK), ultra-endurance athlete and four-year varsity rower at UC Davis Carlo Facchino (USA), ), and adventure cyclist and Cambridge physiology researcher Dr. Danny Longman (UK), and (at 23 years old) the youngest of the crew by seven years, internationally accomplished mountaineer and endurance runner Tyler Carnevale (USA).
FINAL SUMMARY

Yes, Polar Row team was in a totally different environmental conditions. But a comparable size boat (both 29 feet with Polar Row being somewhat heavier) was pushed forward by a constant effort of three well conditioned sportsmen.

Polar Row Team speed stats: 2.6 - 2.99 Nautical miles per hour​

polar_row_speed_1.png
polar_row_speed_2.png
polar_row_speed_3.png

Now let us do the math. Fyodor Konyukhov had 9,400 nautical miles to cover. If he was rowing 24 hours a day for 160 days straight, he would have to move at an average speed of 2.45 nautical miles per hour. If he was rowing for 18 hours a day, as he claims, the speed would have to be approximately 3.26 nautical miles per hour.

I think Fyodor Konyukhov is a project, and this trans-Pacific achievement is a fake. I do not know about his other achievements but this one is not even questionable, it's impossible for a human being, and here is why.
  • 63 year old person can not row for 15-18 hours in a 24 hour period for 160 days straight. I doubt anybody can
  • Pushing 1300lbs boat at an average speed of 3.26 nautical miles per hour for 15-18 hours in a 24 hour period
  • 2 hours of sleep per 24 hours for 160 days straight is not even close to being enough for recovery
  • Sunburn sustained after wearing presented attire would cause a sunburn requiring professional medical attention
  • Blistering sustained by his palms and his buttocks would be beyond imaginable
  • Using Potassium Permanganate. I think this one could be a result of half-assed research into skin conditioning
    • Can cause irritation if the dilution is not adequate
    • The solution should be prepared freshly just before use, as if left it will start to oxidise and go brown
    • Can cause burns
    • Can cause dryness
    • If treating hands and feet, apply vaseline to the nails to prevent staining
    • Discard the solution and clean container thoroughly after use.
  • 63 year old person is faster than the Polar Row team having Olympic rowing champions onboard
P.S. Details of the expedition above and some of the Fyodor's statements provided above were translated by my neighbor Vlad, and come from the video below.

By the way. Does it look like he is rowing in front of a Chroma key?

P.P.S. The other achievement I would like to look into now, "In May 2008, Konyukhov completed a solo circumnavigation of Antarctica in a sailboat, becoming the first person to do so." Apparently, in the process, Fyodor sailed for over 12 hours through Beaufort scale 10 winds.

Scale 10 example video: Pilot boat Pathfinder in Storm force 10

Google translated, "The session of satellite communication with the yacht "Trade Network Scarlet Sails" "All is well on board our toiler. Running day and night, cutting the waves with its stem. For 12 hours we are going to 10 ball storm, wind 40 knots, gusts 50. The ocean is white, covered with foam and lambs. Ahead of us is a storm and we "hang" on his tail. The task to remain in this wind as long as possible, as it pulls us eastward, to the Cape Horn, which is just over 2500 miles. The wind comes to the south, and the air gets colder. In the ocean, frost, on the yacht frost."

Sailing source link

humanoidlord

this looks very dubious
sometimes i wonder if some people like donald trump, zuckberg, hillary clinton and others are real humans, they look very robotic to me and the fact they seems to exist just to cause political divide only makes me alarmed, as far as i know they are fake people just like those alleged architects from the 19nth century

gregory5564

It was written in the Gallic Wars that Caesar's soldiers could continuously march for two or three days without sleep. Likewise, Harold Godwinson's army marched for two days straight to reach the north of Britain, so that he could battle against Harald Hardrada. When I saw these facts for the first time, I found the situation to be rather unrealistic. Of course, the story presented above is moreso since the state of low sleep and grueling exertion was sustained for 160 days.

in cahoots

I don't have much to add here, except "great article". Tons of stuff I didn't know and presented neatly, weighing relevant evidence from different sources, and hell, even tying in an anecdotal thread. Good stuff man.

So we have either some kind of Russian superhuman program - this is possible - we do know that Wim Hof can influence his bodily metabolism at will using a simple, but intense meditation technique called "g Tummo" by Tibetan monks. If one could change their internal body temperature at will, it seems possible one could accelerate healing of the muscles and skin as well.

In 2007, Hof climbed to a 6.7 km altitude at Mount Everest wearing nothing but shorts. In 2009, he reached the top of Mount Kilimanjaro in two days, again, only dressed in shorts. He completed a full marathon above the polar circle in Finland (temperatures close to -20 °C or -4 °F) in 5 hours and 25 minutes. Need I specify he was only wearing shorts?

His seemingly “superhuman” abilities don’t discriminate against heat either. In 2011, Hof ran a full marathon in the Namib Desert with no food or water. To ensure his safety, the run was supervised by Dr. Thijs Eijsvogels, but Hof completed it smoothly. Surprisingly, his core temperature remained 98.6 °F (37 °C) the entire time. He was dehydrated of about 5 liters of water following the marathon, but he was fine after drinking water and a couple of beers.

Hof caught the attention of scientists when he proved he was able to stay submerged in an ice bath for one hour and 52 minutes without his core body temperature changing. The average human, in comparison, would experience hyperventilation, and after 10 to 20 minutes, severe muscle weakness. Remarkably, Hof attributes his success to meditation and breathing techniques. Almost all of the feats Hof accomplished were previously thought to be impossible, but by mastering his own body, he’s achieved what no one else even dreamed of.
Alternatively, this is a hoax by the guy to make himself more famous. This strikes me as unlikely, as crossing a Great Ocean in a rowboat, while impressive, does not make one that famous. I've never heard of the guy. Additionally, if it's a lie, the lie is too grandiose to be believable by anybody's standards -- "crazy enough to be true," I might think.

But thirdly - and this is what you're driving at - the case may be that the Great Oceans are not so Great... and the oceans of the poles, potentially, far greater...

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
But thirdly - and this is what you're driving at - the case may be that the Great Oceans are not so Great... and the oceans of the poles, potentially, far greater...
Indeed. I think we as a society got brainwashed into total inability to think logically.

We do not question:
  • when a 63 year old guy rows for 160 days for 15-18 hours a day covering 11k miles in the process
  • when Cortes with 3 people conquers an empire thousands of times stronger
  • when Pizzaro pulls the same thing Cortes did
  • when 100 Georgetown settlers wipe out a nation of 20,000 warriors
  • when Pyramids get built with copper chisels
  • when we lose technology to go to the Moon
  • when 700 boxes of magnetic data tapes (including Moon landing) pertaining to Apollo missions go AWOL
  • when masterpieces of micro-mechanics pop up for 50 years in the 18th century and disappear for 150 years
  • when Earth pictures are nothing but doctored photoshop
  • when thousands of buildings magically appear out of nowhere built by god knows who out of god knows what
  • etc
After all may be we deserve what we have :)

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
"Absolutely knackered" after 62 days at sea, trans-Tasman kayaker Scott Donaldson has made history tonight, becoming the first person to paddle a kayak solo between Australia and New Zealand.

Donaldson is aiming to make landfall on the Taranaki Coast – a distance of 2200 kilometres although he will likely paddle 3000 kilometres.

Scott_Donaldson_route.png Scott_Donaldson_kayaker.jpg

Scott Donaldson - NZ
Time at sea: 62 days
Distance traveled: 2,200-3,000 km equal to 1,367-1,864 miles
Kayak weight: over 176 lbs = 80 kg (source)
Kilometers per day: 35.48 km to 48.38 km
Note: succeeded on his 3rd attempt

Fyodor Konyukhov - RUS
Duration: 159 days
Boat weight: over 1,322 lbs = 600 kg
Distance traveled: 17,408 km equal to 10,817 miles
Kilometers per day: 109.48 km
Note: succeeded on his 1st attempt

* * * * *​
Any thoughts?

The Kraken

I personally dont have enough experance in both kayaks and row boats. But what i do have tells me row boat is faster due to using legs were the kayak is all upper body. So its still kinda apples and oranges. Hence the post.
More shadows of questions

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
So it seems. I also think that over distance row boat is faster, but difference is probably marginal.

The biggest thing I see is the weight difference, and that chemical Fyodor used. Shows that he has no clue about its properties.

Another fact that I got a sunburnt knees while driving my jeep for a week. Fyodor seems to have no issues with that.

Eugene

The problem with the ocean rowing records is that manpower isn't really the main power being used while rowing an ocean. The main power is the current and wind, and sometimes one person can beat a team when he or she is wise, experienced or/and lucky enough. Konyukhov himself said in one of the interviews I happened to read that while sailing his yacht in the previous years he noticed that in some places in the ocean his boat was moving faster and in some parts slower and that while his rowing boat voyage he was always seeking for such swift currents and tried to catch them and use them. Maybe he's a more experienced sailor than the arctic team you mentioned, maybe just a luckier one... Anyhow, I see no reasons why such a record couldn't even be beaten in the future. The ocean is still quite an unfriendly place for man and isn't well-explored yet. Who knows how many kinds of current there are within the Peru Current and the South Equatorial Current whose power Fyodor was using? Also, how many people are there having a burning desire to cross an ocean in such a boat? What for? Had there been some substantial prize money, I think, we would have already seen some much more amazing achievements than Fyodor's. And even without prize money, I expect Fyodor's record to be beaten in the near future because ocean rowing is becoming a hobby for more and more people. So I see no reason why to question this "feat" of Konyukhov's. His not really a "champion" in some common sport, but more of an explorer.