World Expositions: Phenomenal Attendance?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
This thread is not about Exposition Architecture, but rather about some phenomenal attendance numbers as they pertain to the pre-commercial flight era World Fairs (Expositions, Exhibitions, Centennials, Jubilees, etc). I will allow the reader to make any appropriate conclusions on the matter. Whether these numbers were spiked by the lack of any entertainment people had those days, or they show that we do not really understand population numbers shenanigans, I do not really know. It appears that today people have more options as far as sightseeing, and venue attending goes.

I used the time frame, when people did not have an opportunity to hop on an airplane (at least officially), and fly across any ocean out there. Basically, we have to be real with the modes of transportation available at the time, and general population numbers, as compared to today.

First International Commercial Flight:
Interesting Transportation Facts
World Population Numbers (narrative version)
  • 1800: 1 billion
  • 1850: 1.26 billion
  • 1900: 1.65 billion
  • 2018: 7.5 billion
USA Population Numbers (narrative version)
  • 1850: 23.19 million
  • 1860: 31.4 million
  • 1870: 38.55 million
  • 1880: 50.19 million
  • 1890: 62.98 million
  • 1900: 76.21 million
  • 1910: 92.23 million
  • 1920: 106.02 million
IMPORTANT: While I do not quite understand the significance of the 1890 US Census getting destroyed in 1921, I do see some strangeness in having barely any people in the streets in the 1860s-1870s USA (or any other place), and the ridiculous event attendance which followed. So, if you have an idea, please share.
Six Months/180 days
The reason I used this generalized 6 months/180 days increment was due to our Expos always lasting for approximately 6 months/180 days. Our contemporary stats are based on yearly figures. For this amateur experiment, I simply divided these yearly numbers in two, to get the desired 6 months data.
  • These are just general numbers, and not by any means, any attempt at any sort of a scientific calculation. All numbers were obtained from public sources.
1850-1919 Most Visited World Fairs - TOP 5
  1. 1900 Paris: 48.13 million - (267,388 a day)
  2. 1889 Paris: 32.25 million
  3. 1893 Chicago: 27.3 million
  4. 1904 St. Louis: 19.69 million
  5. 1915 San Francisco: 18.87 million
2018 Most Visited Cities in the World
  1. Bangkok: 10.025 million - (55,694 a day)
  2. London: 9.9 million
  3. Paris: 8.72 million
  4. Dubai: 7.9 million
  5. Singapore: 6.95 million
  6. New York: 6.56 million
  7. Kuala Lumpur: 6.29 million
  8. Tokyo: 5.96 million
  9. Istanbul: 5.35 million
  10. Seoul: 4.77 million
2018 Most Visited Countries in the World
  1. France: 43.45 million - (241,388 a day)
  2. Spain: 40.9 million
  3. USA: 38.45 million
  4. China: 30.35 million
  5. Italy: 29.15 million
  6. Mexico: 19.65 million
  7. UK: 18.85 million
  8. Turkey: 18.8 million
  9. Germany: 18.75 million
  10. Thailand: 17.7 million
2018 Most Visited Theme Parks in the World
  1. Magic Kingdom, Florida: 10.45 million - (58,055 a day)
  2. Disneyland Park, California: 9.35 million
  3. Tokyo Disneyland, Japan: 8.95 million
  4. Tokyo DisneySea, Japan: 7.35 million
  5. Universal Studios, Japan: 7.15 million
  6. Disney's Animal Kingdom, Florida: 6.9 million
  7. Epcot at Walt Disney, Florida: 6.2 million
  8. Shanghai Disneyland, China: 5.9 million
  9. Disney's Hollywood Studios, Florida: 5.65 million
  10. Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, China: 5.4 million
2015 Most Visited Tourist Attractions - link to TOP-50
  1. Las Vegas Strip: 19.83 million - (110,166 a day)
  2. NYC Times Square: 19.6 million
  3. NYC Central Park: 18.75 million
  4. Union Station D.C.: 16.42 million
  5. Niagara Falls: 11.25 million
Most Visited Whatever Whenever
  1. 1900 Paris Expo: 48.13 million - (267,388 a day)
  2. 2018 France: 43.45 million - (241,388 a day)
    kd_separator.jpg
KD: Basically, that is what we have, a global indoctrination into the new life. Would like for the forum members to pitch in with their opinions on the attendance of the World Expos.

studytruth

Reactions
Where were all those people when the photos were being taken? Hiding in underground lairs??
Well these things were huge. Chicago was 690 acres. And the Midway was the most popular part of it (where all the booze, dancing girls were.) Take for example the Manufactures building. 300,000 people could fit inside of it. It was the main area of exhibits. There might be 40,000 people in there on a given day walking around. The US government building had more exhibits of stuff than you might find in the Louvre (it was amazing...I was going to include it as an appendix in the book, but it would have taken 18 pages to list everything in that building). So it is conceivable that 500,000 people could be at a fair, and you wouldn't see them in photos, they are inside buildings, on canals, on the midway or what not.

But here is a goofy find about Expo photos. In 1893 in Chicago it was forbidden to take any photos unless you paid a 2 dollar fee (a huge amount at the time) thus basically no one took photos of it but the official photographers. You have to ask why. That was not the case in Buffalo or St Louis where we have lots of personal people's photos of their day at the fair.

HulkSmash

Reactions
These expos all seem to have the same MO also. Why did this 'expo period' decide to happen right on the tails of the Civil War, which we know bankrupted us and started the great debt slavery. These things were a ridiculous display of facade wealth, were temporary (economic silliness), and all mimicked the style of architecture of the civilization prior. Hrmmmm, maybe it was to fraudulently create a history narrative, using gigantic "props", or expos and the buildings within. So expos are like a big theater play. A big stage of falseness. The population numbers are also absolutely ridiculous when compared with the modern populations. There is no way 1900's Paris expo had 267,000 people per day! Again KD, absolutely great work here! You are the Truth Sleuth! Ok sorry, that was bad. LOL. I keep thinking about the digital nature of what is being discovered here, and how vulnerable the data is to becoming inaccessible if the PTB decide to really go crazy and ban information. KD, do you ever make hard copies of at least the OP's and some of the lengthier researched threads? Seems like a lot of work too. :(

inquisitor

Reactions
Yeah, attendance numbers to seem to be incredibly high. Plus on top of that, this is justified by the explanation that people traveled from all around the world to see it. Including to places where expositions happened in seemingly unlikely places like Omaha, Nebraska. I mean really?

studytruth

Reactions
These expos all seem to have the same MO also. Why did this 'expo period' decide to happen right on the tails of the Civil War, which we know bankrupted us and started the great debt slavery. These things were a ridiculous display of facade wealth, were temporary (economic silliness), and all mimicked the style of architecture of the civilization prior. Hrmmmm, maybe it was to fraudulently create a history narrative, using gigantic "props", or expos and the buildings within. So expos are like a big theater play. A big stage of falseness. The population numbers are also absolutely ridiculous when compared with the modern populations. There is no way 1900's Paris expo had 267,000 people per day! Again KD, absolutely great work here! You are the Truth Sleuth! Ok sorry, that was bad. LOL. I keep thinking about the digital nature of what is being discovered here, and how vulnerable the data is to becoming inaccessible if the PTB decide to really go crazy and ban information. KD, do you ever make hard copies of at least the OP's and some of the lengthier researched threads? Seems like a lot of work too. :(
It is just this comment that got me writing my book on this subject 4 months ago. Can some documentation make it to print in people’s homes. It is about 2 weeks from complete...
These threads are offering much more to consider, but I have to stop the writing at some point and move to other projects.
I agree KD is one of the best researchers I have come across in any area.

Ps have you Guys seen the Rio expo of 1908. I have a lot questions around that one.

Last edited:

BrokenAgate

Reactions
I believe @BrokenAgate's question was directed at cities like this, or this, or this from this subforum.
Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific. Millions show up for these events, but the cities are empty! And then we have things like this:

1900 Paris Expo: 48.13 million - (267,388 a day) While the population of Spain in 1900, according to Wackypedia, was only 18,594,000. (List of countries by population in 1900 - Wikipedia) Were people rounded up and trucked in from other countries, were the numbers of attendants inflated, or are the population numbers completely off? If people came in from other countries, how could they afford it? Poor people can't afford to travel. I'd love to visit Paris, London, Moscow, and many other places, but lack of money is at war with my desire for world travel, and it's winning. So, was it only rich people running hither and yon to all these events?

VonKitty

Reactions
These numbers are just too unrealistic. Having gone to theme parks in Orlando, I can’t fathom there being 5 times that number at an expo. And I don’t believe that many people could afford it. Where did all the food come from to feed these people? And where did they stay???
I did read for the Philadelphia Centennial they built 8 hotels, one being the largest in the world! Where did they get the materials and manpower to build this in addition to the expo buildings? How did they come up with furnishings for that many hotel rooms?

aceofarms

Reactions
These world fair pictures look more akin to a political gathering of people coming together to listen to their leader speak, what is everyone walking towards? is it really just a sight see. I could tottaly imagine sight seeing being more popular in the past, but a set up continuous expo seems insane. Although its insane that celebrities can bring hundreds of thousands of people to a festival, so maybe it could be something along those lines? The population/location thing kind of tears that apart though.

whitewave

Reactions
Since we're told that most people in those days were farmers/ranchers, I'd like to know who was tending their crops and cattle while the farmers and ranchers were off sightseeing? How long did it take them to drive to the expos in their horse and buggies? How long could they reasonably expect to be gone? All that travel across the country to stay one day? A week? Doubt if there were too many hotels along the way from point A to point B so they would had to have brought at least a few days worth of food with them for their travels.

When I read about these expositions, I get the impression that the world was as populated then as it is now, America was a freshly conquered country that was already built up and the conquerors were showing off their war prizes. People were flooding in from everywhere to see the glorious conquests and revel in the fresh pickins'.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I think we somehow need to establish that all these expos were being held at the different times like the narrative says they were.

Another thing to look into would be items specific to a certain time period. Like for example these early cars, and specifically 1893 car, which probably should have been presented at the 1893 Chicago expo, for this is a big achievement.

If we only see horses and people, the only thing we are left with, would be closing fashion. How much fashion difference would there be between 1878 and 1915? Probably quite some. Can we see it?

Totally agree with @whitewave. To bring 20 mil within 6 months to Chicago in 1893 when the entire US population was 60 mil, would require some outstanding arrangements.

To put certain things into perspective we need to look at the 1890 Chicago population, which allegedly was 1 mil. That would mean that for every expo month there would need to be 3 extra mil of people in Chicago. This is only conducive with a global indoctrination program. People are being introduced into the new life. Hard to fathom this is.

studytruth

Reactions
I think we somehow need to establish that all these expos were being held at the different times like the narrative says they were.

Another thing to look into would be items specific to a certain time period. Like for example these early cars, and specifically 1893 car, which probably should have been presented at the 1893 Chicago expo, for this is a big achievement.

If we only see horses and people, the only thing we are left with, would be closing fashion. How much fashion difference would there be between 1878 and 1915? Probably quite some. Can we see it?

Totally agree with @whitewave. To bring 20 mil within 6 months to Chicago in 1893 when the entire US population was 60 mil, would require some outstanding arrangements.

To put certain things into perspective we need to look at the 1890 Chicago population, which allegedly was 1 mil. That would mean that for every expo month there would need to be 3 extra mil of people in Chicago. Hard to fathom.
Hey korban,
One interesting thing with all these fairs is how many travel guides were put out for them. Chicago I think I counted 10 different guides. That means someone was expecting a lot of people.
The big crowd in the photo above is from opening day. Was speech from mayor and I think the us president.

But still it is a lot of people. Too bad we did not have ticket booth receipts for any one day.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
When you double, or triple the population of a million person city on a monthly basis, you probably need to do something similar to its related infrastructure:
  • Transportation
  • Food places
  • Hotels
Do we have any expo time frame street views of Chicago? May be we could see all those extra people and some of the accomodations.

Even if they had super organized logistics, where 100k moves in every day and moves out every day, the influx of tourists had to be noticeable.

Newspapers of the time would have to reflect the related issues. When 49ers are in Seattle, there is always an article about some fight with Seahawks fans, or what not.

What other sources do we have to corroborate this 1893 expo?

Red Bird

Reactions
I was wondering what would be the modern day equivalent of these expos and came up with the Olympics. Just looking for parallels that might provide answers to the expos.
All were done to advance (or rather direct) humanity in some way, right? There are the building anomalies, and others, present with the expos, though.
Same organizers it seems.
The first IOC, at the 1896 Athens Games

Since the expos are gone, and the Olympics are are the way out- next hunger games under the dome (either real or virtual).

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
What’s the attendance of the 4 most recent Olympic Games?

Red Bird

Reactions
What’s the attendance of the 4 most recent Olympic Games?
Can’t beat those horse and buggy expo attendance numbers:
Largest attendance at an Olympic Games
A total of 8.3 million tickets were sold for the 1996 Games held in Atlanta, Georgia, USA – often referred to as the “Centennial Olympics”. This equates to more than half a million spectators watching on each day of the two-week event, which was dominated by Michael Johnson’s (USA, pictured) gold medal-winning runs in the 200 m and 400 m. By comparison, “only” 6.8 million tickets were sold for the 2008 Games in Beijing.

I usually look at motivation when fake numbers, history show up. It’s ingrained now.