World’s Fair 1939-40 Female Sex Robots

Timeshifter

Reactions
This thread is not about the world’s fair per se, but the female sex robots it promoted. So hopefully @KorbenDallas I have it in the right section.

I came across this article on a UK tabloid the Daily Star.

The first thing I thought was, why are they showing us this now?

My second thought was, 1939-40, I am sure we have seen better automatons than this way before 1939….

Further thoughts:

Using sex to entice visitors, was the fair that rubbish?

‘The clip shows two burlesque robots, dubbed “Dumb Doris” and “Nifty Dolores” making provocative moves while a carnival barker outlines their dubious appeal for the audience’

Dumb Doris? Wow, even for then!

0_5d52d1f109e91_robotlead.jpg

'While those last pre-war years might be seen as strait-laced by today’s standards, there were some very racy exhibits at the 39-40 World’s Fair, including naked women billed as "Female Sun Worshippers” posing for photos in the fair’s ‘Amusement Zone’

0_1703564.jpg

If you have actual women their stripping, why the robots, they can hardly be considered sexy, can they?

‘The robots’ mechanical twerking and provocatively perky nipples seem almost modest compared with the sheer bra-tops and skimpy skirts worn by the ‘Sun Worshippers.’ Salvador Dali’s Dream of Venus pavilion at the fair also featured a surprising level of nudity for the period.’

'There was also the Bendix Lama Temple, a 28,000-piece full-sized replica of the 1767 Potala temple in Jehol, Manchuria. It wasn’t particularly well-attended at first so creator Vincent Hugo Bendix added a scandalous girlie show featuring young women in sheer bras and panties'

So, to ensure a bigger attendance, they used strippers and mechanical strippers to lure visitors?

‘There were a number of protests by prominent politicians over the course of the fair about some of the the "low minded entertainment" on show, and and the NYPD’s Vice Squad raided shows more than once, but the racy displays were generally accepted by visitors.’

This tells us there was much more going on than exotic dancing…

I cannot find any evidence of who designed and built these robots. It is as if they have just sprung in to our timeline. And searching around the web, the syndicated news articles are all written as if the writer is 'shocked' by their revelation... Not sure what the narrative is there,

The article also mentions this guy, who we have seen mentioned on the forum before:

‘Alongside the mechanical strippers there was also some other groundbreaking technology. Westinghouse exhibited their own robot called "Elektro the Moto-Man,” a 7-foot monster which could talk, distinguish between different colours, and smoke cigarettes.’

Daily Tabloid source

Summary: What was this really all about?

Using sex to sell stuff (nothing new)
Degrading women (nothing new either)
Satisfying male fantasy?
or something else more sinister?

A slight aside: This source tells us there were 45 million plus visitors over 2 years… The great fair attracted over 45 million visitors and generated roughly $48 million in revenue.

Just over $1 per visitor? A great idea at the end of a great depression.

Brian fart: What struck me also in looking at images and watching videos, is that this 1939-40 could be any when. This 1940 could be a previous 1940, and these images and video are just shown to us as if they are our 1940.

Also, at first glance, I thought the robots were just women dressed up as robots…

Edit: In searching for more video evidence of these ladies, I came across this 20 minute video below of the fair, consider visitor numbers and look at the audiences... and again, this could be from any when... IMO.

Would they have a mock up of a 1900th century era election?

1565778326898.png

And would movies (less than 40 years old) be considered 'Old time'?

1565778457136.png

just a few things I noticed from the video below, which could be a whole thread of its own.

Video source

Also if you go here you can find more videos to the fair and various other interesting old movies

Last edited:

AgentOrange5

Reactions
I could see the movies be considered "old-time". We consider even 80's and 90's music "oldies" music now. The mock-up of the 1900 election is definitely bizarre, unless there was some theme or anniversary maybe? Even then, it seems bizarre to make it such a focus. I'm more likely to think the year of the fair isn't really what they are telling us it is. With the sex robots and the smoking guy robot, that seems really out of time for 1939--perhaps not impossible, but definitely wroth looking at.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Well, here is the smoking robot, I believe.

05E7D198-9B8B-490F-BECD-C179AF1E2D63.jpeg

Elektro is the nickname of a robot built by the Westinghouse Electric Corporation in its Mansfield, Ohio facility between 1937 and 1938. Seven feet tall (2.1 m), weighing 265 pounds (120.2 kg), humanoid in appearance, he could walk by voice command, speak about 700 words (using a 78-rpm record player), smoke cigarettes, blow up balloons, and move his head and arms. Elektro's body consisted of a steel gear, cam and motor skeleton covered by an aluminum skin. His photoelectric "eyes" could distinguish red and green light. He was on exhibit at the 1939 New York World's Fair and reappeared at that fair in 1940, with "Sparko", a robot dog that could bark, sit, and beg to humans.

Source:
Then we have this one, which is supposed to be the same one I guess.

07EE99FF-AD67-4A2B-B5B7-CA28CBA62D91.jpeg

Source

OP
Timeshifter

Timeshifter

Reactions
Well, here is the smoking robot, I believe.

Elektro is the nickname of a robot built by the Westinghouse Electric Corporation in its Mansfield, Ohio facility between 1937 and 1938. Seven feet tall (2.1 m), weighing 265 pounds (120.2 kg), humanoid in appearance, he could walk by voice command, speak about 700 words (using a 78-rpm record player), smoke cigarettes, blow up balloons, and move his head and arms. Elektro's body consisted of a steel gear, cam and motor skeleton covered by an aluminum skin. His photoelectric "eyes" could distinguish red and green light. He was on exhibit at the 1939 New York World's Fair and reappeared at that fair in 1940, with "Sparko", a robot dog that could bark, sit, and beg to humans.

Source:
Then we have this one, which is supposed to be the same one I guess.

All of these films are clearly staged, more like advertisements than actual 'real' video of the event.

They really wanted people to believe these things...

BStankman

Reactions
I watched that Amazon video about the 1904 St Louis Fair. The World's Greatest Fair.
Probably the only honest part about it was the Philippine display being a major "adult" attraction.

04igor.jpg aba2e08c638b3221713f781cc63b2738.jpg

I cannot believe anyone was fooled by the Westinghouse golden boy robot. Could public education have really done that much damage by 1939?

main_900.jpg

Were these temporary structures, or were the permanent and later ripped down for scrap?
The 1939 New York World's Fair

main_900.jpg

It seems to me women are being set up by third wave feminism to make the introduction of artificial wombs and sex robots more attractive.