Who was this 30 foot tall Kegtolochus Rex?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
While working on an unrelated article I ran into this little 1882 paragraph pertaining to the Giants of Old. It is talking about 25-33 foot Giants. Iy specifically mentions one named Kegtolochus Rex. "Rex" means King in Latin language. Kegtolochus is only mentioned in Google as it pertains to this same very book it was found in.

We know that in Greek mythology, Antilochus was the son of Nestor, king of Pylos, and was one of the Acheans in the Trojan War. But who was this Kegtolochus?

Basically, I was wondering if anyone ever heard of this name, or may be has an idea of breaking it down to the point from where further leads could be acquired.

Giants_of_Old_16_century.png

humanoidlord

Reactions
quite a odd name almost looks like a scientific name of a animal

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I think its because they attached that Rex / King thing to a cerain dinosaur, and general scientific use of the Latin language.

On a separate note makes you start thinking why the Latin became our scientific language for different medical terms and other definitions and names. Could we simply be building upon some ancient data base?

humanoidlord

Reactions
I think its because they attached that Rex / King thing to a cerain dinosaur, and general scientific use of the Latin language.

On a separate note makes you start thinking why the Latin became our scientific language for different medical terms and other definitions and names. Could we simply be building upon some ancient data base?
well its still better than naming animals shit like GH256

Magnus

Reactions
I think maybe Latin was the universal language of tartaria or atlantis. Modern emphasis is on "latin is a dead language" - yea sounds like something a victor in war would brainwash the survivors with: nobody speaks your language anymore.

Love this post, how did you find the book entry? Threads like this one are so interesting and unique and why I visit this site every day and check for new interesting things to read. Thanks so much!! Please continue your good work ???

sonoman

Reactions
used in the sciences because it is a dead language. a dead language can no longer change over time since it is no longer in active/living use (if it ever was?) and because it does not change, it is most precise.

wild heretic

Reactions
While working on an unrelated article I ran into this little 1882 paragraph pertaining to the Giants of Old. It is talking about 25-33 foot Giants. Iy specifically mentions one named Kegtolochus Rex. "Rex" means King in Latin language. Kegtolochus is only mentioned in Google as it pertains to this same very book it was found in.

We know that in Greek mythology, Antilochus was the son of Nestor, king of Pylos, and was one of the Acheans in the Trojan War. But who was this Kegtolochus?

Basically, I was wondering if anyone ever heard of this name, or may be has an idea of breaking it down to the point from where further leads could be acquired.

Excellent find.

Goes to show giants were around at some point in recent history. I'm thinking the middle ages had a lot of 10 to 12 footers (if not most people were this height) with a few bigger ones thrown in. Early middle ages probably had the really big ones at 20 to 30 feet as the norm.

We were always told medieval people were midgets. It looks like the opposite is true for at least some of them.

It also means that the Jesus character or characters were also "giants" I would guess. Let's have a look.

Well well well. Just opened the Aberdeen Bestiary (1100s AD allegedly) and look what we find:

New high-resolution scan of medieval Aberdeen Bestiary

Those lions and horses look very small in comparison to the sitting down Jesus figure opposite.

Full manuscript here.
Folio 1r - In principio. The Creation: The Aberdeen Bestiary

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Excellent find.

Goes to show giants were around at some point in recent history. I'm thinking the middle ages had a lot of 10 to 12 footers (if not most people were this height) with a few bigger ones thrown in. Early middle ages probably had the really big ones at 20 to 30 feet as the norm.

We were always told medieval people were midgets. It looks like the opposite is true for at least some of them.

It also means that the Jesus character or characters were also "giants" I would guess. Let's have a look.

Well well well. Just opened the Aberdeen Bestiary (1100s AD allegedly) and look what we find:

New high-resolution scan of medieval Aberdeen Bestiary

Those lions and horses look very small in comparison to the sitting down Jesus figure opposite.

Full manuscript here.
Folio 1r - In principio...; the Creation | The Aberdeen Bestiary | The University of Aberdeen
Or tis the ever popular man has dominion over the beasts/earth meme the religionistas are very fond of.

Onthebit

Reactions
Or tis the ever popular man has dominion over the beasts/earth meme the religionistas are very fond of.
yes he's depicted same size as the 'man' he creates from what appears to be a woman or transgender individual. (few pages further than the one in the op)

sonoman

Reactions
religion or not, hard to argue otherwise. if the earth and the animals could speak to us in a language we comprehend, what would they have to say about it? dominion is not ownership FWIW

it would also seem that a giant race of man would have dominion here over a smaller one. thats why this is so puzzling to me.

jd755

Reactions
religion or not, hard to argue otherwise. if the earth and the animals could speak to us in a language we comprehend, what would they have to say about it? dominion is not ownership FWIW

it would also seem that a giant race of man would have dominion here over a smaller one. thats why this is so puzzling to me.
We are in communication with everything. might be 'a bit cloudy' about the method but it's there.

sonoman

Reactions
We are in communication with everything. might be 'a bit cloudy' about the method but it's there.
you did not honor my question to you before making this reply/point out of it, which I agree with to some extent, and honor. dominion is always an option and it is the norm obviously.

jd755

Reactions
Apologies old man thought it was rhetorical.
What would they say? I cannot presume to answer for them nor second guess what if anything they say. They might be screaming or laughing at but we are taught to hear with ears and see with eyes, perhaps we have it the wrong way round?

Archangelclk

Reactions
In Steve Quayles Encyclopedia of giants this chart is pictured. I don't recall reading about this Kegtolochus Rex guy but I will take a look to see if I can find anything on him. From my understanding the majority or large giants lived preflood time. Post flood there were many remains that were discovered and on display throughout the world, but most of them were only fragmented remains such as skulls, thigh bones, hands etc.

wqm0suma24kz.jpg

jd755

Reactions
Relevant to the op.
Hans Sloane, Claude-Nicolas Le Cat, and Gigantology
and this from the comments on that page
The Latter-Day Saints' Millennial Star
Having read more on jason colavito's site he comes across as a 'gatekeeper' to my eyes not least because he dismisses the newport tower (which i had never seen before) as "probably a colonial windmil" missing out the word 'unique' as it is unlike any windmill design i have seen or been in. Here we have a saying to describe people like this."talking out of his arse".

Last edited:

0harris0

Reactions
scientific nomenclature is a bit of a mix between latin/greek and whatever (especially in biology, loads of things named after other scientists, but then with latinised pre-/suf-fixes) :)
especially when looking at botanic names for plants!

so this name Kegtolochus might be a mis-pronounced reinterpretation of the name. For example (bear with me!) in the history or Britain, we have "Brutus" of Troy founding "Britain". Now I was looking for any mention of a dude called Brutus in Greek history... nothing. But we also have the name "Pretani" for britain..
I've dug about a bit and found the name PROTHOUS in Greece (even a commander's name from the Trojan war)... I can see how Prothous could quite easily become pronounced Brutus over a short while!
so maybe "Kegtolochus" could be a slightly edited version of the original name?!?