When did the World find out about the Greek philosopher Plato?

CyborgNinja

Isnt this a scarligar thing. Isnt the first mention of Platos work a a reprodution from surviving texts done by the "historians" of the 1700's? They place him in the BC's but he could have been a contemporary of the 16-1700's?

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Exactly. 15th century is when this world found out that it was ancient :)

Our Plato is in reality Gemistus Plethon

A75DB7EB-8624-41D7-9ACD-37D30A535CBE.jpeg

He was a pretty prominent philosopher and an extremely popular dude of his time. Had a school just like Plato. Due to his stance against Christianity his works were destroyed after his death.

His followers had to recreate his works from their memories. They also had to come up with this Plato guy who lived looong time ago, and whose lost manuscripts they “translated”.

The works and the antiquities became very popular after that.

Suddenly everybody starts finding Plato’s busts while digging in their backyards.

CyborgNinja

So I don't have any trouble believing this at all. We only know what they tell us so whether he lived 1000 years ago or 300 years ago is irrelevant to us. We have no way of knowing when we learn this in history books. Taking that into consideration, (us only knowing what for certain the events experienced in our own life times) how can we be sure anything is true before 1900's. It's been said before but I'll said it again, our entire history is most likely a lie. There could have been flying cars 150 years ago.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
What's real interesting is that we can do almost as much to any other ancient individual out there. They all pop up around the 15th century with some slightly backdated copies of the copies of the phantom originals.

There is probably a class of people who retain the original books, statues, etc. from antiquity and sell us modified copies and crap like Plato and Euclid (he was constructed posthumously, too) while keeping all the really good stuff to themselves. When the scientist in the movie Stargate is invited to view it for the first time he says "I thought I'd seen all the artifacts from (wherever)Egypt" and the group leader answers "Nobody has seen them all". There were tons of antiques and loads of mummies taken from Egypt and sold at auction in the 1800s alone. We need to remember that we can only see what remains in public view. There must be thousands of items in wealthy private homes that remain unavailable to us, and each one could be a valuable piece of the puzzle that we'll never get to see.

parta

personally i always agreed with those that wrote that plato was plagiarizing zoroastrian literature... ex. timaeus and critias are two attempts to make vendidad fargard2 work for the good guy greeks with the literaturely obligated egyptians against the persians in a war propaganda kinda way. did pletho take 2 stabs at the same story?

pletho brought pindar with him to. if you read olympian 3 [476bc] you find that the pillars of heracles are at the springs of ister. the springs of ister are the junction of the sava and danube. aside from that being the location of atlantis [and therefore the kikkar of yahweh], it was a spot soon to be very hot in the christian/muslim confrontation.

did plethos benefactor lorenzo the magnificent want to overthrow the church? good way would have been to find the garden of eden [aka the pen of geryon at gadiera] in central europe and prove it wasn't the vaticans god that made it.

peace