What, How and Why

SuperTrouper

Reactions
This notion of divided families during the civil war strikes me as being an odd one which seems to be almost peculiar to the American Civil War. Least this is the war where it is most often mentioned in the official history retelling.
Sorry to interlude, but I can give you plenty of examples from my own and other families in the former Yugoslavia during WWII. Brothers were fighting against one another. My late maternal grandfather told me this first hand. It all depended on who was around the village when various mobs were recruiting. I've heard numerous similar stories from other people. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the common people who were fighting couldn't care less about politics, or any "isms". Another story. My paternal grandfather had to fight for Italy, as his village was part of Italy at the time. His wife to be (they met after the war), fought for the partisans against the Italians and the Germans. Total f***ing mess. Cui bono?

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Sorry to interlude, but I can give you plenty of examples from my own and other families in the former Yugoslavia during WWII. Brothers were fighting against one another. My late maternal grandfather told me this first hand. It all depended on who was around the village when various mobs were recruiting. I've heard numerous similar stories from other people. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the common people who were fighting couldn't care less about politics, or any "isms". Another story. My paternal grandfather had to fight for Italy, as his village was part of Italy at the time. His wife to be (they met after the war), fought for the partisans against the Italians and the Germans. Total f***ing mess. Cui bono?
Thank you.
Hope I word this right, so none in your family but the story is of other families being split?
If I am reading what you wrote incorrectly and your family did have brother fighting brother can you give any insight into how the family endured?
Did they choose a side, were they conscripted, forced at gunpoint, did they reconcile after the end of the fighting?
If too personal please ignore me. It's just that your post is as close as I have come to finding an example of this to me very strange situation.
The sole concern of the three WW2 soldiers/sailors I spoke to, grandad, neighbour, journeyman about the war was getting through it. None mentioned "Queen and country" etc.

in cahoots

Reactions
If this interests you search "language of vampyr" and read that thread on the political troll site. Super interesting.
Over a year later, you just melted my brain. I have barely stopped reading for the last 8 hours. This is huge. There is much to suggest FL is a dark corner "where light ought not to be shone" - but this plumbs depths of a nature which concern SH and probably way beyond. I may try to develop a post about this site - though it will take days, at least, to make any coherent sense of the thing.

Thanks for linking, 2018.

SuperTrouper

Reactions
Thank you.
Hope I word this right, so none in your family but the story is of other families being split?
If I am reading what you wrote incorrectly and your family did have brother fighting brother can you give any insight into how the family endured?
Did they choose a side, were they conscripted, forced at gunpoint, did they reconcile after the end of the fighting?
If too personal please ignore me. It's just that your post is as close as I have come to finding an example of this to me very strange situation.
The sole concern of the three WW2 soldiers/sailors I spoke to, grandad, neighbour, journeyman about the war was getting through it. None mentioned "Queen and country" etc.
No worries. Yes, my grandfather's brothers were fighting for the opposing sides. They did not choose a side, but were picked up as the troops (which were more like militia) came through the village looking for recruits (my grandad was too young, born in 1932). The family really had no choice in the matter. They were focused on their daily agricultural tasks, working on the land, farming animals. Luckily, both brothers survived, and never really faced each other in combat. This was quite common in former Yugoslavia, bot only in WW2 but in the more recent wars, too, particularly in Bosnia.

jd755

Reactions
No worries. Yes, my grandfather's brothers were fighting for the opposing sides. They did not choose a side, but were picked up as the troops (which were more like militia) came through the village looking for recruits (my grandad was too young, born in 1932). The family really had no choice in the matter. They were focused on their daily agricultural tasks, working on the land, farming animals. Luckily, both brothers survived, and never really faced each other in combat. This was quite common in former Yugoslavia, bot only in WW2 but in the more recent wars, too, particularly in Bosnia.
Thank you. It is appreciated.

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
Over a year later, you just melted my brain. I have barely stopped reading for the last 8 hours. This is huge. There is much to suggest FL is a dark corner "where light ought not to be shone" - but this plumbs depths of a nature which concern SH and probably way beyond. I may try to develop a post about this site - though it will take days, at least, to make any coherent sense of the thing.

Thanks for linking, 2018.
I wish you would make that thread. I haven't the time to do it justice. It is a deep dark hole for sure. Good Luck.

Onthebit

Reactions
My thought is that you fought for your job at a corporate entity....so Kellogg vs General mills rather than any belief or value...