KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Westworld

Genre: Western, Science Fiction

First aired: 2016-10-02

Creator: Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy

Cast: Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, James Marsden, Tessa Thompson, Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins, Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, Clifton Collins Jr., Fares Fares, Luke Hemsworth, Katja Herbers, Louis Herthum, Zahn McClarnon, Simon Quarterman, Talulah Riley, Rodrigo Santoro, Angela Sarafyan, Gustaf Skarsgård, Shannon Woodward

Overview: A dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the evolution of sin. Set at the intersection of the near future and the reimagined past, it explores a world in which every human appetite, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged.

Last edited:

whitewave

Reactions
I've only watched about 3 episodes and I found it disturbing. Why would you indulge the baser aspects of humanity like this? Seems only a short step to leaving WestWorld for the Real World and treating your fellow human beings the same way. Reminded me of The Purge in which all pretense of nurturing man's nobility was abandoned and we reverted to our beast-like natures.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
The main idea is disturbing if you consider a possibility of this scenario being a reflection of the world setup.

whitewave

Reactions
Gah! I hope not. If it is, how do we change the world's channel?

Ice Nine

Reactions
Oh I like the series, I have watched every episode. Grim and violent for sure, but I love Ed Harris, even playing such a sadistic bastard and I'm hooked. I like all the characters, my favorite series ever, well besides Red Dwarf is Dexter. Oh how I miss Dexter. Oh and Bates Motel was extremely entertaining.

anyway, that's my taste in entertainment, so if anybody else likes those shows, you might like Westworld. I think all the actors are brilliant but as far as story line goes, a person would must assuredly have to start at the beginning or you will be saying WTF alot.

Paracelsus

Reactions
What are your opinions and associations on these TV series?
I assume we're like "the hosts" and what you see with the human condition is largely our violent, carnal, avaricious desires playing out. However, there is a certain "type" of consciousness that isn't fulfilled by indulging in base desires and seeks Gnosis. Or maybe we're the visitors and the knuckle draggers around us are the hosts.

Either way, I'll cop to it, I devoured both seasons in obsessive binge sessions.

Absyllyon

Reactions
I see it as giving an idea of how man was created by 'god' and his 'associates' and the struggle for perfecting the human machine. The long trial of success and error and of man developing intelligence from experience and consciousness from an accumulation of residual memories over the lifetimes.

I think we are exactly the same. We have an avatar ( the human body) with its program and machinery, and an operator (the Spirit) that inhabits said avatar for a period of time. In fact I think it is an exact replica of our situation.

Robert Ford (Anthony Hopkins) reminds me of Odin in this role. I think that the association would still be present whether or not he played Odin in the Marvel series.

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence

Attachments

tupperaware

Reactions
The main idea is disturbing if you consider a possibility of this scenario being a reflection of the world setup.
The world is a stage and we are actors in it. When the curtain closes every so often, reality wakes up to recast a new play either locally or globally but using much the same raw material.

Recognition

Reactions
I love this show so much, and am delighted to see that someone listed it as a topic. I'll add more later, but right off the bat there def seemed to be a mud flood reference with how the church was buried in sand. I have spent a lot of time thinking about this show, it has so many fascinating (if disturbing) ideas. I'd also like to say that one time my best friend, and I were discussing Westworld, and the implications of the idea that we could be living in a simulation, or that we could be ai, ourselves, whose conciousness is constantly trying to be hacked into/taken over, through trauma. (Most successful conciousness hacking being accomplished in project paperclip/monarch type programs.)

As we discussed the above idea, the lights in her house just shut themselves off!! Not the first time i've experienced weird stuff like that, but nice to have another witness to it!:)

I'll post more when i have time, but i think polyvagal theory connects to this idea, as does modern research about what happens to the brain when we feel unsafe: the empathetic, reasoning, creative part of our brain shuts off, and the brain focuses on mere survival. This show posits that humans are very simple because our end goal is to survive, whereas ai is lucky because it has more complex motivations. I disagree with this, profoundly. I believe our lesson on earth is to learn to love and be loved, which you beautifully see in the way that we come alive when we feel safe and cared for: our brains literally function more fully. I think there is a real push to present humans as innately selfish, desperate, to cut us off from our creative powers and make us more 'hackable'. Part of the reason I adore this site is because my spirit just soars thinking about the origins of our beautiful architecture, civilization, with other, creative, kind, brilliant people. I think a huge asset of this site is we all work to gently halt unkindness and refocus on research (none harder than @KorbenDallas ) which keeps us out of survival mode and in creative, reasoning mode.

Here's a nice explanation of polyvagal theory

What i'm saying is that i don't know if we are in a simulation, or an actual westworld type pleasure garden place, where another species can hack in and use our bodies for baser uses. What i know for a fact is, when i am loving and receiving of love, I am using my full power, my full brain's powers. So let's be loving and take our power back! I'll post more later:) god i love this site!

P.S. i think this thread also relates to this topic, but i'll go into it more later:)

Insane Asylums of the United States, Canada, UK and the rest of the World

Attachments

Last edited:

Ice Nine

Reactions
I think we are bioengineered self-replicating organic robots. And now it seems we are going down that path ourselves.

Cornell scientists create 'living' machines that eat, grow, and evolve

"As unbelievable as it sounds, the team is actually just getting started. Lead author on the team’s paper, Shogo Hamada, told The Stanford Chronicle that “ultimately, the system may lead to lifelike self-reproducing machines.”

This work is still in its infancy, but the implications of organically grown, self-reproducing machines are incredible. And the debate over whether robots can be “alive” will likely have an entire new chapter to discuss soon."

Red Bird

Reactions
I don’t watch shows much anymore but am thinking about watching this one. I believe more and more that you have to be careful however. Is it really a story or is to condition, direct thinking, most of all to desensitize. Then examine closely what YOU take from it, and why. Frankly if I agree with any philosophy portrayed I re-examine. These people have an agenda

Effie

Reactions
In season 2 it is revealed that the park is secretly designed to completely map the physiology and psychology of the visitors. Compare to how modern big tech is creating detailed databases of Internet users, their facial structure, their thoughts, their desires, and even their secrets.

Recognition

Reactions
Oh god: just had a thought:( what if the annunaki created ai/synthetic humans to do the work they found unsavory/uninteresting- and we are them? In the show they say something like 'we create you out of flesh [rather thanmetal or plastic] because it's cheaper'. Yikes.

Onthebit

Reactions
ya that's my thoughts....not fun eh? then justify stepping all over the ants under my feet....like a giant human would....ugg.... I don't like this new info much....but i am here to learn the truth of that jackass who made us.

studytruth

Reactions
Westworld the first season, was a terrific show and it presented a lot of information about our reality. I think more than those who run things want.
It reminded me of the first few years of Lost in some ways.
I predicted it would not take long for Westworld to have to "come back in line" and start presenting the story that TPTB want presented.
Season 2 veered way off course to become more like an action movie...I don\t expect much from this program the rest of the way, and actually expect it to end even worse than Lost's final season.

Again a show with such a great potential to lay many elements of this reality up front for people...and perhaps a good intention, will very quickly amount to not much.
However year 1 does have a few good pointers, and I still use them in talks with people from time to time.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database