Were Punt Guns repurposed firearms of bygone Giants?

NowhereMan

Reactions
punt_gun_2.jpg

The official history of the Punt Gun leads to questions corresponding to other topics discussed here:

official story.png

This leads me to wonder the coincidence of early 1800's (Napoleonic wars, War of 1812, Year without a Summer, etc) being the era when Punt Guns are said to enter usage. Were they a firearm of an erased civilization of giants? Humans of our current stature could not wield such bulky weapons without support, so did we re-purpose them and mount them to boats to continue using a found weapon for hunting? And just like the Expositions dismantling fragments of a bygone civilization, around the early 1900's a series of laws rendered usage of Punt Guns to the dustbin of official history.

punt_gun_3.jpgpunt_gun.jpg

Last edited:

whitewave

Reactions
Wouldn't the recoil from something like that gun cause a small skiff boat to dump right over? And the picture of it being braced on some guys shoulder would definitely knock the shooter on his can. I've shot 12 ga. that will bruise your shoulder and a 50 cal. that actually rocked me off the soles of my feet. They show pics like this and forget to mention that pesky law of physics that says for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If this gun were mounted to a fixed position and not allowed its tremendous recoil, I'd think it would blow the gun up.

Obertryn

Reactions
The structure does not resemble a shotgun or a rifle very much. If anything, it looks like a pistol with an elongated barrel. Also, building a super-size shotgun for duck hunting that needs to be mounted on boats? Just use artillery, you'd get the same effect and it'd be less cumbersome.

codis

Reactions
Possibly copies or "advancements of wall guns, used for fortress defense ?
I have seen such guns in a museum - actually a castle where it had been in use, supposedly.