Was Sphinx a real living being?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Those little coincidences can account for most bizarre of thoughts. I noticed a visual resemblance between the Sphinx on rear terrace at La Granja, and the Egyptian one from one of my previous threads about the Pyramids.

Mid 18th century
La_Granja_de_San_Ildefonso.jpg

Sphinx as seen in 1575
buried_pyramids_old_1.jpg

sphinx_2.jpg

sphinx_1.jpg

As a result I'm kind of morphing several threads together here:
Unrelated to the above I ran into the below image on Google. Whatever it could mean.

sphinx_1_2.jpg

KD: Obviously, we all know what the actual Sphinx looks like. Yet the 1575 images show this woman who looks just like the 18th century statue.. Yup, there are multiple Sphinx statues presenting at least one type of sphinxes as a part woman. It's just that this one resembled too much.

Do you think that Sphinxes could have been real creatures? May be a part of the genetic experiment which caused some "Deity" to wipe out everything alive on Earth, after which only humans remained.

I know, this thread is somewhat convoluted, but it is what it is.

freezetime26

Reactions
Do you think that Sphinxes could have been real creatures? May be a part of the genetic experiment which caused some "Deity" to wipe out everything alive on Earth, after which only humans remained.
The sphinx, along with the half lion half human creature that appeared in one of the encyclopedias of the medieval age that you posted in other thread, probably are experiments like you pointed out (Or, if we take into account the depictions in medieval maps of strange creatures around the world, they are just extinct species). It would be nice if there were fossils of these creatures, probably The Smithsonian are hiding them.

CyborgNinja

Reactions
I wanna be sensible and say that they are just some cultural motif that we just don't have the right context for. However given that I'm fairly certain the ancients had scientifically speaking, complete control of the genetic I'm gonna say it was real.

Ice Nine

Reactions
"Gobekli Tepe Sphinx" one statue is actually located at The Royal Palace of La Granja de San Ildefonso (Spanish: Palacio Real de La Granja de San Ildefonso). It is an 18th-century palace in the small town of San Ildefonso in the hills near Segovia, 80 km north of Madrid, central Spain, formerly the summer residence of the Kings of Spain since the reign of Philip.

But regardless, nice find, because I'm sure the Spinx in Egypt was entirely different in it's original state.

spinx.jpg Sphinx-shaped statue in front of the garden facade of the Royal Palace of La Granja de San Ild...jpg
This is at the Palace too, but it is not identical to the other one that person posted. but I found the other one as well, see below.

Royal Palace Of La Granja De San Ildefonso.jpgSphinx on rear terrace at the Royal Palace of La Granja de San Ildefonso (Spain.jpg

sphinx_1_2.jpg

Here is the other Spinx, it's in England. Compton Verney House, Upper Bridge: sphinx (probably c1769-1772, bridge designed by 'Capability' Brown)
Spinx England.jpg

Last edited:

Prawda

Reactions
I came across this image on a blog, I think. It is in French and I think it was from the 1700s. Not sure if it is a theoretical drawing, or what, but it makes you wonder. Anyone here able to translate?

1002073_900.jpg

BrokenAgate

Reactions
The Egyptian Sphinx is assumed to be male, but sphinxes are universally depicted as female. Dr. Charles Kos addressed this subject in one of his videos, speculating that she may have been Khufu's daughter. Of course, its pinheaded appearance indicates it was probably resculpted from something else, possibly a lion...although Kos also observed that, from aerial views, the Sphinx appears to have been a pair of towers at some point! We do see pairs of towers a lot on old structures, don't we? I wonder what was inside the Sphinx originally.

Effie

Reactions
"We are supposing these stories about various races who differ from one another and from us to be true; but possibly they are not: for if we were not aware that apes, and monkeys, and sphinxes are not men, but beasts, those historians would possibly describe them as races of men, and flaunt with impunity their false and vainglorious discoveries." - (Augustine, The City Of God and Christian Doctrine)

Book 16, Chapter 8. - Whether Certain Monstrous Races of Men are Derived from the Stock of Adam or Noah's Sons.