Useful Links and Channels

Ice Nine

Reactions
I was looking for engravings of Native Americans in old manuscripts and really hit the jack-pot with the British Library website, manuscripts from mid to late 1500's. So much cannibalism. :eek: seems to be maps and other things of interest as well. Well back to the British Library, see you later. Cheerio

Engravings

another one, antique prints and maps

antique maps and prints

This website is a goldmine, I've been using it for a few years for my genealogy work and yesterday a light bulb went off in my head to start searching for other things, like any and all reported flooding, any mention of Tartary or Tartarian, great results there, as with the flooding. Basically use your imagination. In my own personal search I've found mentions of 2 grandfathers in the 1800s.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 chroniclingamerica.loc.gov

Last edited:

NowhereMan

Reactions
I know the goto for quick internet research is Wikipedia, but we all know it is largely propaganda and skewed history at this point. I want to help our research become more effective with actual references from within a specified time period of one's research. Post here useful non-Wikipedia sources that you use:

Library of Congress - 17 million catalog records for books, serials, manuscripts, maps, music, recordings, images, and electronic resources
Internet Archive - non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, websites (349 billion pages), and more
Newspapers.com (Paid Subscription) - The largest online newspaper archive, 11,500+ newspapers from the 1700s–2000s, Millions of additional pages added every month
National Archives Catalog - Over 10 billion logical data records describing 527,000 artifacts and encompassing 81% of NARA'S records. Also 922,000 digital copies of already digitized materials

What other non-Wikipedia sources do you use for research?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
For right now I merged two threads into one. There is no reason to have multiple threads with links.

In the future I plan on adding a special LINKS section to the website.

anotherlayer

Reactions
Here's a cool blog with lots of pictures to peak our interest.

undercity.org/photos-city
This is fantastic. Great to see ol' sunny Buffalo on there. The first "abandoned" building is the Buffalo Central Terminal (photo below) is actually where we party it up these days. It's been on a forever climb out of jeopardy since about 10 years ago. We have great Dyngus Day parties in there now (photo below).

Ice Nine

Reactions