USA: 1850-1915 Expositions, Exhibitions, Centennials, Jubilees, etc

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
ATTENTION: please do not discuss any specific Expo in here. This thread was created in order to consolidate ALL of the United States Expositions, with basic link info in one place. To discuss any specific Expo, please either start a new thread, or choose one of the available ones. General "non specific Expo related" discussion (venting) is alright.
I'm asking for your assistance in locating 1850-1915 US Expositions not mentioned in the list below. For the newly located Expositions, please provide information in the following format:
1893:Chicago World's Columbian Exposition
  • May 1, 1893 - October 30, 1893
kd_separator.jpg

Little did we know about these American Expositions. Apparently there were hundreds of those, with architecture as elaborate as our famous Chicago Fair of 1893. I kept on running into multiple off the wall expos, that somehow managed to stay out of sight. There are three images in this thread, and they are an example of what I'm talking about. There are multiple additional ones out there.

How the state of California was able to pull off two major Expos in 1915: San Francisco and San Diego would be a separate topic altogether.

This investigative direction is getting more and more interesting. Finding any possible explanation for building, and destroying of these "Amusement Parks" is getting harder, and harder.

1915 San Diego Panama–California Exposition
sandiego_1915.jpg

1907 Jamestown Expo
jamestown-expo-1907.jpg

1894 SF - California Midwinter International Exposition
California Midwinter International Exposition.jpg

1850-1915 USA Expositions
  1. 1853-54: New York Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations
    • July 14, 1853 - November 14, 1854
  2. 1876: Philadelphia Centennial Exposition
    • May 10, 1876 - November 10, 1876
  3. 1881: Atlanta International Cotton Exposition
    • October 5, 1881 - December 31 of 1881
  4. 1883-84: Boston The American Exhibition of the Products, Arts and Manufactures of Foreign Nations
    • September 3, 1883 - January 12, 1884
  5. 1883-87: Louisville Southern Exposition
    • The exposition, held for 100 days each year on 45 acres
  6. 1884-85: New Orleans World Cotton Centennial
    • December 16,1884 - June 2, 1885
  7. 1885-86: New Orleans North Central & South American Exposition
    • November 10, 1885 - March 31, 1886
  8. 1888: Cincinnati, Ohio Centennial Exposition
    • July 4, 1888 - November 8, 1988
  9. 1893: Chicago World's Columbian Exposition
    • May 1, 1893 - October 30, 1893
  10. 1894: San Francisco California Midwinter International Exposition
  11. 1895: Atlanta Cotton States and International Exposition
    • September 18, 1895 - December 31, 1895
  12. 1897: Nashville Tennessee Centennial and International Exposition
    • May 1, 1897 - October 31, 1897
  13. 1898: Omaha Trans-Mississippi Exposition
    • June 1, 1898 - November 1, 1898
  14. 1899: Omaha Greater America Exposition
    • July 1, 1899 - October 1, 1899
  15. 1901-02: Charleston South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition
  16. 1901: Buffalo Pan-American Exposition
    • May 1, 1901 - November 2, 1901
  17. 1904: St. Louis Louisiana Purchase Exposition
    • April 30, 1904 - December 1, 1904
  18. 1905: Portland, OR Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition
    • June 1, 1905 - October 14, 1905
  19. 1907: Norfolk, VA Jamestown Exposition
    • April 26, 1907 - December 1, 1907
  20. 1909: Seattle Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition
    • June 1, 1909 - October 16, 1909
  21. 1915-17: San Diego Panama - California Exposition
    • January 1, 1915 - January 1, 1917
  22. 1915: San Francisco Panama–Pacific International Exposition
    • February 20, 1915 - December 4, 1915
Expos Lacking info:
  1. 1881: Milwaukee Industrial Exposition
  2. 1893: New York World's Fair Prize Winners Exposition
  3. 1897: Chicago Irish Fair
  4. 1898: San Francisco California's Golden Jubilee
  5. 1899: Philadelphia National Export Exposition

jd755

Reactions
1897; Irish Fair in New York: Link
In 1897, NY Irish immigrants paid 10 cents to walk across a bit of land from home
May 1897

Best place to drop this link?
LibGuides: World's Fair Collection: Alphabetical List of World's Fairs by City
Alphabetical List of World's Fairs by City: A-L

And this one? Fairs - World's Fairs - Adam Matthew Digital

1881: Milwaukee Industrial Exposition Yesterday’s Milwaukee: Milwaukee Industrial Exposition Building, 1880s

1881? Seems to have a run of events, none massive: link

Last edited:

Maxine

Reactions
No matter what anybody tells me i won't believe they were just some expos built out of plaster(some of the buildings from them still stand today and you can see they aren't of plaster, so just no) and that they were built in 8 or 12 (or something along those lines) months just to be destroyed 6 months after, it's just ridiculous. I'm sure that those were the complete and beautiful cities that were already standing there for probably centuries built by civilization that loved beauty, until 'they' captured them masqueraded them as "Expositions" (To Expose) and destroyed all of them.

anotherlayer

Reactions
No matter what anybody tells me i won't believe they were just some expos built out of plaster(some of the buildings from them still stand today and you can see they aren't of plaster, so just no) and that they were built in 8 or 12 (or something along those lines) months just to be destroyed 6 months after, it's just ridiculous. I'm sure that those were the complete and beautiful cities that were already standing there for probably centuries built by civilization that loved beauty, until 'they' captured them masqueraded them as "Expositions" (To Expose) and destroyed all of them.
If only we had proof that these buildings were already there. We have not spotted one building that existed before we were told it was built in a day and torn down the next. Otherwise, the amount of photos and documentation actually show the opposite. These were built in a day and torn down the next. We were monster plasterers.

inquisitor

Reactions
If anyone here is Calfornian and from San Diego especially, feel free to correct me but San Diego looks incredibly lush and verdant in that 1915 expo drawing, it doesn't even look like the traditional rugged, Mediterranean-like landscape most of southern California has. It looks almost tropical. I mean, it's now Balboa Park, but in general is San Diego that green?

SuperTrouper

Reactions
If anyone here is Calfornian and from San Diego especially, feel free to correct me but San Diego looks incredibly lush and verdant in that 1915 expo drawing, it doesn't even look like the traditional rugged, Mediterranean-like landscape most of southern California has. It looks almost tropical. I mean, it's now Balboa Park, but in general is San Diego that green?
Having visited San Diego, and spent a full day exploring Balboa Park, I couldn't help but notice the same thing. I am not that familiar with most of the other cities/locales where these alleged expositions were held, with the exception of San Francisco, so I cannot comment. What this change in vegetation in San Diego may indicate is that these 'expositions' were held prior to the 'event'/major cataclysm, when global climate was totally different, e.g. when there were forests in the Sahara, on Antarctica, and on Greenland. Based on various threads and posts that I've seen here there is absolutely no logical way that the official timeline of these 'expositions' is correct. Could it be that these marvellous structures were built by a previous civilisation - Grand Tartary or whatever - and actually stood there only to be demolished by a cataclysm and/or global war for domination? I suspect that these buildings would have been built at the very least two centuries before the actual alleged date, i.e. say in the late 1600s or early 1700s, before the maps suddenly changed, and while California was still an island. I am just trying to connect the dots from various threads, link various events and eliminate inconsistencies in my own mind, which is a rather daunting task.

VonKitty

Reactions
Several I have found that seem to have no info other than a mention in a newspaper, a drawing, or a souvenir...

1884: St. Louis Exposition
1888: Buffalo International Industrial Fair
1889: Buffalo International Industrial Fair
1905: New York City Irish Industrial Fair
1907: Chicago World’s Pure Food Expo

Maxine

Reactions
Otherwise, the amount of photos and documentation actually show the opposite.
We don't really have any photos showing construction of these cities, we only have photos of already built and just scaffold over buildings being presented as construction photos to us, and the photos that supposedly show empty site of where those cities gonna be built could very well be taken after city have been already torn down and site cleaned up, and are now presented to us as before instead of after!

jd755

Reactions
1829 New York, New York, U.S.A. American Institute Fair
1853-1854 New York, New York, U.S.A. Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations
1876 Philadelphia, Pennyslvania, U.S.A. Centennial Exhibition
1881 Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A. International Cotton Exposition
1883 Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.A Southern Exposition
1883-1884 Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A. American Exhibition of the Products, Arts and Manufactures of Foreign Nations
1884 St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A. St. Louis Exposition
1884-1885 New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A. World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition
1885-1886 New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A. North, Central and South American Exposition
1889 Buffalo, New York, U.S.A. International Industrial Fair
1893 Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. World's Columbian Exposition
1893-1894 New York, New York, U.S.A. World's Fair Prize Winners' Exposition
1894 San Francisco, California, U.S.A. California Midwinter International Exposition
1895 Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A. Cotton States and International Exposition
1897 Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. Irish Fair
1897 Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A. Tennessee Centennial and International Exposition
1898 Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A. Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition
1898 San Francisco, California, U.S.A. California's Golden Jubilee
1899 Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A. Greater America Exposition
1899 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. National Export Exposition
1901 Buffalo, New York, U.S.A. Pan-American Exposition
1901-1902 Charleston, South Carolina, U.S.A. South Carolina Interstate and West Indian Exposition
1904 St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A. Louisiana Purchase Exposition
1905 New York, New York, U.S.A. Irish Industrial Exposition
1905 Portland, Oregon, U.S.A. Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition
1907 Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. World's Pure Food Exposition
1907 Jamestown, Virginia, U.S.A. Jamestown Exposition
1908 New York, New York, U.S.A. International Mining Exposition
1909 San Francisco, California, U.S.A. Portolá Festival
1909 Seattle, Washington, U.S.A. Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition
1910 San Francisco, California, U.S.A.Admission Day Festival
1911-1912 New York, New York, U.S.A. International Mercantile Exposition
1913 Knoxville, Tennessee, U.S.A. National Conservation Exposition
1915 San Francisco, California, U.S.A. Panama-Pacific International Exposition

aceofarms

Reactions
I live in San Diego, and actually go to Balboa Park all the time, its a very heavy tourist attraction even till today, ive gone on many dates there, shot photography/video etc. and yes San Diego is very green. Whether or not that is due to technology or not I am not sure but everything is quite lush and I don't see many sprinklers being popped open.

(the overall pictures of everything else being so lush is questionable though, when we look at photos everything is brown and dust)

Once I started frequenting this site more often I started taking note of the construction of the buildings, and there is a lot of weird patching up going on. Random Iron sculptures hanging around. Buildings next to buildings being of completely different build quality. And an Amphitheater that what original purposes I have no idea of because it leads to nowhere.

Last edited:

studytruth

Reactions
Problem I have had solving. IF these expo buildings were already on site, or some on site. Some people should have known about them being there, as such newspapers of the day could not make it seem like the whole thing was being built from scratch. Too many would know.
The other theory would be they were buried, a few knew where they were, dug them out to have the fair, hence no one would have known they were there, just remember the big mounds or whatever they passed.
Makes me wonder about native Indian mound builder cities. Were these just earthwork mounds, or could theses be covered buildings like became the expos . The smithsonian was in charge of their examination so who knows what they really found.
Point being if they were there already people should have known and mentioned it somewhere. I have found a few vague references to that possibility in the early expo books, but it requires very between the lines reading and is still just speculation.
Thoughts.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I think we are missing something very important. Like the true purpose of these events. They all have a specific theme, but I start thinking that the purpose was different, and we just fail to grasp it.

Tried to fish for the meaning of the word "Expo" here. May be we have:
  • Ex Position - like in "former/previous position", or
  • Exposition, as in "expose something"
I try to think outside of the regular box of thoughts on these Expos for a long time. The only thing we can put a finger on is the ridiculousness of the effort, when we look at it through the official narrative. The other thing is the speed they get built with.

But... what were they really trying to achieve with these Expositions? You can only show your newly invented "bicycles" so many times, before it gets old. Could it be some sort of a ritual? I don't know... some good by to the old World, or some acceptance test to some other realm?

Additionally, we appear to have the construction tech to look into. The same tech we do not use any more, for whatever reasons. I don't think it mattered for those people what material to use. If they were to use pliable marble, or plaster, the tech would still be the same. They do not really show us how they did it.

VonKitty

Reactions
Additionally, we appear to have the construction tech to look into. The same tech we do not use any more, for whatever reasons. I don't think it mattered for those people what material to use. If they were to use pliable marble, or plaster, the tech would still be the same. They do not really show us how they did it.
I just watched this video and immediately thought of expo construction. The buildings either already had to have been there, possibly dug out, or they had some insanely fast way of putting them together without a lot of manpower, something like a 3D printer. (And maybe someone has already mentioned this, sorry if so, but I could not find the post.)
Max Igan has even proposed that intricately detailed marble statues were not carved but 3D printed. So perhaps some technology we don’t even know about was used.

As for the purpose of the expo, I read that the Centennial was to showcase to the world all of the innovative advancements America had made, as at that time America was not on par with Europe and Asia and was considered a backwards colony. There may be some truth to that, but it can’t be the whole story.

Maxine

Reactions
I just watched this video and immediately thought of expo construction. The buildings either already had to have been there, possibly dug out, or they had some insanely fast way of putting them together without a lot of manpower, something like a 3D printer. (And maybe someone has already mentioned this, sorry if so, but I could not find the post.)
Max Igan has even proposed that intricately detailed marble statues were not carved but 3D printed. So perhaps some technology we don’t even know about was used.

As for the purpose of the expo, I read that the Centennial was to showcase to the world all of the innovative advancements America had made, as at that time America was not on par with Europe and Asia and was considered a backwards colony. There may be some truth to that, but it can’t be the whole story.
I'm pretty sure to believe that these buildings were standing there for centuries already, but i think the original builders could've probably really used something like 3D printer to create these buildings or certain parts of them. (especially statues, i'm pretty sure you meant me when said i proposed this already cuz' i did many times and not only on this site)
So quite possibly there was no (or almost no) manpower was used when these buildings were built originally! 3D printing actually explains a lot about how all of the "ancient" buildings were built.

VonKitty

Reactions
I'm pretty sure to believe that these buildings were standing there for centuries already, but i think the original builders could've probably really used something like 3D printer to create these buildings or certain parts of them. (especially statues, i'm pretty sure you meant me when said i proposed this already cuz' i did many times and not only on this site)
I do think it’s a high probability. And I was thinking it was you who had mentioned it before, but when I searched 3D printer I wasn’t finding it, so sorry about that!

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Just like I said. I think we are missing the key element to all this madness. The one which probably lays completely outside of our research.