Two interior pictures with stories, requesting clarification and input

maco144

Reactions
I was working through the book The Architectural Heritage of the Piscataqua which is about the homes in New Hampshire and Maine. The area is full of the Old World designs. The two most interesting things I saw I'm including in this thread and hopefully we can generate some discussion.

The first is this pulpit that they claim is from 1730. Given that we have no idea if a pulpit is actually an Old World architectural design, and even less the year. What struck me more is that this looks more like a longitude than a date. The 73rd meridian (currently) runs through New Haven, CT and Kittery Pt, ME is on the 70 West Meridian. Perhaps it is a stretch to make this connection, but given that they say it was already moved and the relative proximity perhaps there is more to investigate with this?

This second picture comes from the Levi Woodbury House in Portsmouth, NH. Levi was a Supreme Court Justice, Senator, and Governor. The (alleged) history of the house is that Captain Samuel Ham built it and once completed threw a grand party where at the conclusion, he went upstairs and hung himself for unknown reasons. Certainly some interesting history surrounding the house and it's inhabitants. I'm more interested in the item there (which may be easily identified but is unknown to me).

Thanks for reading.

jd755

Reactions
Not a clue about the first picture but noticed these things in the second. First though i feel the wire hanging from the picture is an electricity supply going to an in ceiling light fitting much the same as was used by my parents in the sixties.
It connects down to the box on the mantle which is I feel a radio. The wire coming out of the bottom is connected just below the mantle to another wire which is looped and is placed on a pin in the middle of the closed off fireplace. I feel it is an external aerial for the radio.

There is a word on the mantle but try as I might I cannot make out what it says. Here is as good as I could get it.

Here is a close up of what I feel is either an aerial or an external speaker. Given the clip being opposite to the pin I favour aerial.

Here is an odd place to find a number which is I feel NH20.

OP
maco144

maco144

Reactions
Thanks for the feedback. I was considering that to be related to a radio aerial as well but was thrown off given the shape, material, and location. Perhaps it common in old radios but I couldn't find any old examples. And the location, somehow reception is better on the lower mantle then up high?

jd755

Reactions
Yeah. The location struck me as bizarre but then again the change in colour of the wire as it leaves the mantle suggests its a 'homemade' lash up to improve reception so just possibly that place was the best place to get a good signal. Back when i had my last radio there was a plug in T aerial which received its best signal laid out horizontally rather than pinned on the wall as a T.

Looking at it again perhaps the teardrop shape was a metal mesh of some description. Certainly this would explain the clip and the pin being in from the edge a bit.

Does the book give any clue as to the number propped up on the hearth?

Last edited:
OP
maco144

maco144

Reactions
Does the book give any clue as to the number propped up on the hearth?
Unfortunately it didn't say anything else. However that number was bugging me as well so I went and did some additional digging on the house. On this site about the mansion it says NH20 is the survey number on the floor plans. Strange thing to have a tile of in your home!