Turning human waste into energy, a new or revitalized old technology? Bill Gates wants to reinvent the toilet.

Ice Nine

ISeenItFirst

Stealing from theCrowHouse here but... what if Churches were truly places to go for healing. And when they played the "organs", you could cleanse your body of your waste? So, what if Churches were just glorious bathrooms based on sound and vibration?
I certainly wouldn't rule it out, but I wouldn't even call it a theory until some mechanism is identified that even remotely has the potential for this. There is much we don't understand.

ISeenItFirst

I have been given to understand, and I could be totally wrong, that almost all if the solid waste is not what is left of the food, but dead bacteria that digested the food. Not sure how that plays into this discussion, but I feel like it applies somehow.

BStankman

I think we have another breakthrough here.
And again with turning the profane into the holy.

Low frequency organ music turned into a weapon.
So-called acoustic or sonic weapons, like the ones in the aforementioned lab, can vibrate the insides of humans to stun them, nauseate them, or even "liquefy their bowels and reduce them to quivering diarrheic messes," according to a Pentagon briefing.
Wonder Weapons - The Pentagon's Quest For Nonlethal Arms Is Amazing - But Is It Smart?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ice Nine

Ice Nine

I think we have another breakthrough here.
And again with turning the profane into the holy.

Organ music turned into a weapon.
So-called acoustic or sonic weapons, like the ones in the aforementioned lab, can vibrate the insides of humans to stun them, nauseate them, or even "liquefy their bowels and reduce them to quivering diarrheic messes," according to a Pentagon briefing.
Wonder Weapons - The Pentagon's Quest For Nonlethal Arms Is Amazing - But Is It Smart?
more from that linked article.
Other, stranger effects also have been explored, such as using electromagnetic waves to put human targets to sleep or to heat them up, on the microwave-oven principle. Scientists are also trying to make a sonic cannon that throws a shock wave with enough force to knock down a man.

While this and similar weapons may seem far-fetched, scientists say they are natural successors to projects already underway - beams that disable the electronic systems of aircraft, computers, or missiles, for instance.

"Once you are into these antimateriel weapons, it is a short jump to antipersonnel weapons," says Louis Slesin, editor of the trade journal Microwave News.
That's because the human body is essentially an electrochemical system, and devices that disrupt the electrical impulses of the nervous system can affect behavior and body functions.

Jeez Louise!:eek: not that this is anything new. How long has spontaneous human combustion been a thing? it was reported earlier, but the Victorian era is when it really started happening.

Spontaneous human combustion from Wiki

Ok I refuse to believe that if you are a fat old alcoholic woman you just might spontaneously combust. Sheeesh!
Overview
"Spontaneous human combustion" refers to the death from a fire originating without an apparent external source of ignition; the fire is believed to start within the body of the victim. This idea and the term 'spontaneous human combustion' were both first proposed in 1746 by Paul Rolli in an article published in the Philosophical Transactions.[1] Writing in The British Medical Journal in 1938, coroner Gavin Thurston describes the phenomenon as having "attracted the attention not only of the medical profession but of the laity" as early as 1834 (more than one hundred years prior to Thurston's article).[2] In his 1995 book Ablaze!, Larry E. Arnold wrote that there had been about 200 cited reports of spontaneous human combustion worldwide over a period of around 300 years.[3]

Characteristics
The topic received coverage in the British Medical Journal in 1938. An article by L. A. Parry cited an 1823-published book Medical Jurisprudence,[4]which stated that commonalities among recorded cases of spontaneous human combustion included the following characteristics:

"[...]the recorded cases have these things in common:
  1. the victims are chronic alcoholics;
  2. they are usually elderly females;
  3. the body has not burned spontaneously, but some lighted substance has come into contact with it;
  4. the hands and feet usually fall off;
  5. the fire has caused very little damage to combustible things in contact with the body;
  6. the combustion of the body has left a residue of greasy and fetid ashes, very offensive in odour."[5]
Alcoholism is a common theme in early SHC literary references, in part because some Victorian era physicians and writers believed spontaneous human combustion was the result of alcoholism.[6]

ISeenItFirst

Other, stranger effects also have been explored, such as using electromagnetic waves to put human targets to sleep or to heat them up, on the microwave-oven principle. Scientists are also trying to make a sonic cannon that throws a shock wave with enough force to knock down a man.

While this and similar weapons may seem far-fetched, scientists say they are natural successors to projects already underway - beams that disable the electronic systems of aircraft, computers, or missiles, for instance.
"Once you are into these antimateriel weapons, it is a short jump to antipersonnel weapons," says Louis Slesin, editor of the trade journal Microwave News.

That's because the human body is essentially an electrochemical system, and devices that disrupt the electrical impulses of the nervous system can affect behavior and body functions.

Jeez Louise!:eek: not that this is anything new. How long has spontaneous human combustion been a thing? it was reported earlier, but the Victorian era is when it really started happening.

Spontaneous human combustion from Wiki

Ok I refuse to believe that if you are a fat old alcoholic woman you just might spontaneously combust. Sheeesh!
Overview
"Spontaneous human combustion" refers to the death from a fire originating without an apparent external source of ignition; the fire is believed to start within the body of the victim. This idea and the term 'spontaneous human combustion' were both first proposed in 1746 by Paul Rolli in an article published in the Philosophical Transactions.[1] Writing in The British Medical Journal in 1938, coroner Gavin Thurston describes the phenomenon as having "attracted the attention not only of the medical profession but of the laity" as early as 1834 (more than one hundred years prior to Thurston's article).[2] In his 1995 book Ablaze!, Larry E. Arnold wrote that there had been about 200 cited reports of spontaneous human combustion worldwide over a period of around 300 years.[3]

Characteristics
The topic received coverage in the British Medical Journal in 1938. An article by L. A. Parry cited an 1823-published book Medical Jurisprudence,[4]which stated that commonalities among recorded cases of spontaneous human combustion included the following characteristics:

"[...]the recorded cases have these things in common:​
  1. the victims are chronic alcoholics;
  2. they are usually elderly females;
  3. the body has not burned spontaneously, but some lighted substance has come into contact with it;
  4. the hands and feet usually fall off;
  5. the fire has caused very little damage to combustible things in contact with the body;
  6. the combustion of the body has left a residue of greasy and fetid ashes, very offensive in odour."[5]
Alcoholism is a common theme in early SHC literary references, in part because some Victorian era physicians and writers believed spontaneous human combustion was the result of alcoholism.[6]
I used to have a book, lost now that had a chapter o. SHC. I actually think the alcoholism aspect has been played up in recent years. SHC is what first piqued my interest in weird, when I was but a youngster, and I feel like it's been trending toward that explanation over the years in a confirmation bias kind of way. Alcohol is basically a sugar if I recall correct, I think it's metabolism is pretty well understood and I don't see how there could be a connection.

OP
OP
Ice Nine

Ice Nine

I used to have a book, lost now that had a chapter o. SHC. I actually think the alcoholism aspect has been played up in recent years. SHC is what first piqued my interest in weird, when I was but a youngster, and I feel like it's been trending toward that explanation over the years in a confirmation bias kind of way. Alcohol is basically a sugar if I recall correct, I think it's metabolism is pretty well understood and I don't see how there could be a connection.
Yeah it's like we are expected to believe that if you mix enough sugar and fat together it will some how mysteriously just catch fire, maybe the human body while processing the sugar overworks it's self to the point it just catches fire. No nothing can make any sense out of SHC.

Funny as a kid I too was always fascinated with weird stuff and SHC was definitely on the top of the list. It seems like a DEW was directed at a person.

A privy? Etymologically, it would seem that the word 'shit' was used primarily to denote defecation, descending from earlier forms from Old English. Perhaps, not always perceived as vulgar language. If anyone wants to explore some of these concepts (including others related to this site) using linguistic analysis please do so. It's not really my forte.

ngram.png

ISeenItFirst

A privy? Etymologically, it would seem that the word 'shit' was used primarily to denote defecation, descending from earlier forms from Old English. Perhaps, not always perceived as vulgar language. If anyone wants to explore some of these concepts (including others related to this site) using linguistic analysis please do so. It's not really my forte.
View attachment 13748
I heard that shit comes from the shipping industry. They used to store the waste down below deck, near the bottom. Methane buildup blew up a boat or two, so they marked the containers Ship High In Transit, or S.H.I.T.

Could be wrong, but origins of words and phrases is a side interest of mine.

BStankman

I heard that shit comes from the shipping industry. They used to store the waste down below deck, near the bottom. Methane buildup blew up a boat or two, so they marked the containers Ship High In Transit, or S.H.I.T.
Seriously? Are there historical accounts of this?

It would have to have some value to take up cargo space. Instead of just throwing it overboard.

All that stuff was used against the Iraqis in 1991. It is so old your local militarized police have it now.

Last edited:
Seriously? Are there historical accounts of this?

It would have to have some value to take up cargo space. Instead of just throwing it overboard.

All that stuff was used against the Iraqis in 1991. It is so old your local militarized police have it now.
I can't remember the specifics. It seemed more like shipping manure from place to place rather than storing crew generated waste. For some reason I seem to remember being able to find two ships, that seems to have been sunk by methane and a spark. I don't remember it being conclusive, but plausible enough.