Tunnels under Alcatraz

Searching

Reactions
I have suspected for awhile now that Alcatraz, like everything else, is not what we have been told.

SAN FRANCISCO — Archaeologists confirmed a long-time suspicion of historians and say that famed Alcatraz prison was built over a Civil War-era military fortification.
Researchers found a series of buildings and tunnels under the prison yard of Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, which once held Al Capone, SFGate reported Tuesday.
A study published last week in "Near Surface Geophysics" said archaeologists used ground-penetrating radar and terrestrial laser scans and historical maps and photographs. They found fully buried structures, ammunition magazines and tunnels.
"This really changes the picture of things," study author Timothy de Smet, an archaeologist at Binghampton University, told PBS. "They weren't erased from the island — they are right beneath your feet."
Archaeologists are now planning more study to discover what else lies just below the surface.
Historians believe workers built over existing structures when the prison was built in the 20th century.
Alcatraz first came to the attention of the U.S. government after it took control of California from Mexico in the 1840s. Its location in San Francisco Bay made it attractive for military fortification purposes.
During the Civil War, Fort Alcatraz was the official military prison for the West Coast.
In the 1930s, the first federal prisoners — deemed by the media to be the worst of the worst — began arriving. The last inmate left in 1963.

The citadel on Alcatraz was crucial to defense during the American Civil War (1861–1865), having some 111 cannons encircling the island at peak, and was also used as a war camp. During the Civil War, the defense establishment at Alcatraz Citadel had the onerous task to defuse the possibility of any local war between the Union and Confederate supporters who were both part of the population of California, and to protect San Francisco.
This gives the phrase, "Throw him under the jail." a new meaning.

The official story doesn't sit right with me. Was there really a possibilty of a war breaking out amongst Union supporters and Confederate supporters? I mean, how long did it take to get news about the war all the way to California? And how was a military installation on an island off of the coast supposed to stop a skirmish? And didn't they have bigger problems at the time? Great Flood of 1862

We've seen plenty of evidence that The Civil War is not what we have been told. It could have been a war between Natives and invaders. It may not even have happened at all. It could just be a cover story to explain catastrophes that wiped out populations and left ruins of cities.

They just keep finding tunnels buried everywhere. :unsure:

OP
Searching

Searching

Reactions
Are there any images of this tunnels, and underground buildings (I did not find any) or its just a GPR data for right now?
Just GPR as far as I know, BUT there are videos of people taking guided tours of tunnels under Alcatraz.

I am assuming that the tunnels recently discovered are below these. Underground tunnels under underground tunnels...

Why were they using GPR to look under Alcatraz? What tipped them off to even look in the first place?

And furthermore, technically, these are tunnels below sea level. I think all of it used to be attached to main land California and above ground.

There are things off the coast of California that are not natural.

I also think that every "mountain" above or below the sea was once a building. I think about NORAD. I'm pretty sure all those tunnels in Cheyanne Mountain were once rooms and hallways of giant infrastructure.

Maybe NORAD needs its own thread.​

Paracelsus

Reactions
It's classic "conspiracy theory" fodder, but, some dude claimed there is a vast reptilian tunnel network under Los Angeles he accidentally found his way into in 1933. Even the most outrageous claims about California seem possible.

OP
Searching

Searching

Reactions
It's classic "conspiracy theory" fodder, but, some dude claimed there is a vast reptilian tunnel network under Los Angeles he accidentally found his way into in 1933. Even the most outrageous claims about California seem possible.
I don't know about reptilians, but I have seen enough evidence that there is an entire city under Los Angeles. At this point, I would not be surprised to find there is an entire city underneath every city.

PrimalRed

Reactions
I don't know about reptilians, but I have seen enough evidence that there is an entire city under Los Angeles. At this point, I would not be surprised to find there is an entire city underneath every city.
Honolulu- I recall checking out a place for a potential small business opportunity in the heart of downtown “Chinatown”. It had the last man-operated elevator in the city. Apparently it went downstairs several floors. The elevator operator said it’s a vast labyrinth of pathways and rooms under the city- some hallways going as far as the eye can see.

Maybe one day I’ll tip him off and give me a tour of the underground. Scary shit though- if ever there was a place to do human sacrifice and child smuggling it would be down there.

BrokenAgate

Reactions
SAN FRANCISCO — Archaeologists confirmed a long-time suspicion of historians and say that famed Alcatraz prison was built over a Civil War-era military fortification.
Suspicion?? The American Civil War didn't happen that long ago. How can they not have records of something this big, elaborate, and expensive being constructed during the Civil War? WHO, exactly, constructed it? Surely not soldiers with no architectural experience. There should be records, somewhere, of the construction details of these buildings/tunnels: the name of the architectural firm, dates, prices, types and amounts of materials, etc. Of course, if they weren't built in that time period, then it's understandable that nobody would know about them and there'd be no surviving records of construction. But the claim that they had only suspicions about tunnels constructed during a war that ended only 154 years ago...well, it's just ridiculous. We have pictures of people posing on fake battlefields, pictures of buildings ruined allegedly by canon fire, but nobody thought to take a camera to Alcatraz Island and photograph the construction of buildings which, presumably, had some kind of strategic significance.

Hey, why would Civil War generals get the idea of building anything on that island in the first place? How did they get all that stone across the water? What use could it possibly have, way out in the ocean like that? And what's that tower for?

Made a handy watchtower for the prison guards, no doubt, but I don't think that was its original purpose. Supposedly, it was a lighthouse. Maybe it was, but for a city that was covered by the ocean. And the original lighthouse apparently was...just a house? Alcatraz Island Lighthouse

wild heretic

Reactions
We've seen plenty of evidence that The Civil War is not what we have been told. It could have been a war between Natives and invaders. It may not even have happened at all. It could just be a cover story to explain catastrophes that wiped out populations and left ruins of cities.

They just keep finding tunnels buried everywhere. :unsure:
Something like that. My first thought was that Alcatraz may not have been an island at the time of the original fortification.
Suspicion?? The American Civil War didn't happen that long ago. How can they not have records of something this big, elaborate, and expensive being constructed during the Civil War? WHO, exactly, constructed it? Surely not soldiers with no architectural experience. There should be records, somewhere, of the construction details of these buildings/tunnels: the name of the architectural firm, dates, prices, types and amounts of materials, etc. Of course, if they weren't built in that time period, then it's understandable that nobody would know about them and there'd be no surviving records of construction. But the claim that they had only suspicions about tunnels constructed during a war that ended only 154 years ago...well, it's just ridiculous. We have pictures of people posing on fake battlefields, pictures of buildings ruined allegedly by canon fire, but nobody thought to take a camera to Alcatraz Island and photograph the construction of buildings which, presumably, had some kind of strategic significance.
Very good points. A bit like that water works system below Liverpool.
Just GPR as far as I know, BUT there are videos of people taking guided tours of tunnels under Alcatraz.

I am assuming that the tunnels recently discovered are below these. Underground tunnels under underground tunnels...

Why were they using GPR to look under Alcatraz? What tipped them off to even look in the first place?
Old maps probably.
And furthermore, technically, these are tunnels below sea level. I think all of it used to be attached to main land California and above ground.

There are things off the coast of California that are not natural.

Like that very much and think you are totally on the money there. I'm discovering a thing or two about California when looking at one major change (the one in 1771). It appears that about half of the city of Mexicali was underwater before that time.
I also think that every "mountain" above or below the sea was once a building. I think about NORAD. I'm pretty sure all those tunnels in Cheyanne Mountain were once rooms and hallways of giant infrastructure.
Mmmm. Not too sure about that. They look articially bored to me; although I bet they found an underground city or two during their construction.

Last edited: