The Towns That Were Moved by Horses

esgee1

Reactions
I came across this post at Messy Nessy Chic. She's a Parisian and her blog is worth checking out if you have the time. Lots of interesting articles and internet finds in regards to history. She also has a YouTube channel here: Messy Nessy Chic

One of her latest posts is about old Victorian houses being moved and relocated. You can read the article and see the photos here:
The Towns That Were Moved by Horses

Examples
horse-930x644.jpg080721-F-JZ034-422-930x547.jpgDr_Chapmans_house_moving_6_BHS.0-930x620.jpg

BrokenAgate

Reactions
Well, the reasons given do make sense, I guess, but I can think of other reasons, too. Like you just received warning that a flood of mud is coming...or it already happened and you had to dig your home's out and move them.

maxresde

Reactions
This a little bit off topic, but I saw a photo there of a house being moved by a tractor.

I saw a video once comparing 19th century steam tractors to 20th century gas powered ones. It said the steam tractors were much, much more powerful than the gas powered tractors that we use today, like not even close.

Obertryn

Reactions
The mechanisms are so over-the-top. I mean, you'd need to set up the spinning mechanisms, attach horses to them, attach a house to them, get the horses moving then when the house is close enough, relocate the mechanisms and start all over again if I'm examining this right. They presumably knew what wheels were back then?