The Shaver Mystery

norton

Reactions
Reading through various topics in this forum, I am continually reminded of Richard Shaver's theories, popularized by Sci-fi publisher Ray Palmer as the "Shaver Mystery," the gist of which I've outlined, with a bit of commentary, below. I think there may be some connection.

Richard Shaver claimed, in contravention of orthodox science and history, that:

- An intelligent race of malevolent humanoid beings inhabit the earth. This race, which he called the Deros, lives in a complex warren of subterranean caverns to which humanity is entirely oblivious.

- The Deros are the remnant progeny of the Atlans and the Titans, the majority of whom escaped to other planets thousands of years ago.

- The primary portal to the underground realm is in Antarctica; some of the (many) other points of entry are located in Tibet, Mount Shasta, and the Amazon Rainforest.

- The Deros are the inheritors of ancient advanced technology which they are capable of using but incapable of themselves constructing.

- The supernatural entities of religion and folklore (demons, genii, gnomes, goblins, etc.) are rooted in factual experiences with Deros.

- Observed paranormal occurences of the twentieth-century recounted in the vernacular of aliens and UFOs are likewise rooted in factual experiences with Deros.

- The Deros are material beings like ourselves but capable of supervening upon and altering conscious human experience. These aberrant phenomena have been misdescribed by humans in the familiar but inaccurate terms of theology or extraterrestrial life.

- Dreams, visions, religious experiences, alien abductions, demonic possession, vexation, and, at least in some cases, mental illness, obsessive thought patterns, and inexplicable mood swings are caused by Deros.*

- The Deros are ineluctably malevolent, a necessary consequence of their state of degeneration.

- The Deros share the underground realm with humans whom they have abducted from the surface and also a very small contingency of their benevolent subterranean counterpart, the Teros.

- The processes of aging and degeneration (and thus mortality) are caused by exposure to the sun and consumption of water contaminated by solar radiation.**

- The earth is an expanding sphere; gravity is simply the inertial response of matter on the surface of the globe to this movement. Physical phenomena attributed to extraterrestrial gravity (from, e.g., the sun) is due to separate forces.

- Intelligent human-like creatures inhabit other planets but, like the Deros, live far beneath the surface in order to avoid the harmful rays of the sun.

Many of Shaver's claims are similar to ideas contained in (or purported to be contained in) occult texts like Secrets of Enoch, Amoela's Diary, Forgotten Books of Eden, and so forth. They also correspond closely to countless fairy tales and science fiction stories ranging from Maupassant's The Horla to Budd the CHUD.

It is also worth noting the historical association of "mysteries" and the revelation thereof with subterranean rituals. We also note, in this vein, the innumerable subterranean military bases and the tunnels interlinking them which the various Western countries have been excavating non-stop since World War II. The Germans, under Hitler, were also engrossed in the construction of enormous underground lairs, including a reputed base in Antarctica. Rumors of contact and collaboration with alien or reptilian species in these bases has been rampant for decades (the base under Dulce, New Mexico has been the subject of many allegations like this). Some of the technologies sequestered from public awareness--such as human cloning--have been attributed to a supposed partnership between human and nonhuman underground beings.

Legends of Giants from all over the world characteristically assert that said creatures resided in and retreated to--under duress from humans or natural disasters--caves deep underground. There is some evidence of extant populations (for instance in Kandahar, Afghanistan). Of course governments have been suspiciously touchy about caverns. A newly discovered cave in British Columbia's Wells Gray Provincial Park was roped off in December 2018; the government threatened fines of $1 million to trespassers. It seems probable to me that the protagonists of ancient mythology (and likewise the antediluvian nephilim/"men of renown" from the Bible) refer to an actual population of advanced oversized people that may or may not still reside within the earth. These people probably--again, in my opinion--constructed the many megalith projects we see around the world and possibly much else.

* Shaver maintained that the range of Dero influence was in fact much broader and more insidious; they were also responsible, he claimed, for causing him to feel bored and "making [his] cigarettes taste like garbage."

**In this, Shaver reproduces in substance the legendary claims regarding the fountain(s) of youth sought by the conquistadors and which are supposed by some to flow deep underneath the earth in caverns. One is reminded of the extreme lifespans the Bible accords the antediluvian patriarchs and the subsequent diminution thereof, which, according to the Biblical narrative, occurred in relation to water (of the deep) and the mysterious firmament. The search for the fountain of youth, as with legends (and physical evidence) of giants is a topic historians scrupulously avoid.

whitewave

Reactions
I read the Shaver mysteries years ago (which Palmer said was fiction) and it reminded me of Flip Wilson saying, "the devil made me do it."
There have been accounts of people disappearing underground never to be heard from again. I believe there was a group of school children in Mexico (iirc) that went on a field trip to an underground cavern and wound up missing. A team of rescuers was sent in to find them and they, too, disappeared. That cavern was cemented up after that and no more rescue attempts were made. It's just as plausible to me to believe they all got lost underground and couldn't find their way back or there was a cave-in or something. I don't necessarily ascribe it to Devos abducting all those people. But, the world is a strange place so who knows?

OP
norton

norton

Reactions
I read the Shaver mysteries years ago (which Palmer said was fiction) and it reminded me of Flip Wilson saying, "the devil made me do it."
While elements of the "Shaver Mystery" were fictionalized for publication in Amazing Stories (e.g. "I remember Lemuria"), Palmer always maintained that he regarded Shaver's claims as the truth; indeed, he published a non-fiction quarterly, The Hidden World, devoted exclusively to the dissemination thereof.

whitewave

Reactions
True, but it's still all hearsay. Shaver offered not one iota of proof (that I'm aware of) so, at this point, it's just a story that a publisher believed without any verification of the story. Richard Sharp Shaver: It seems pretty clear that Richard Shaver suffered from some form of paranoid schizophrenia. He really did believe that his life was being controlled by unseen forces from deep underground caverns. He heard voices — some nefarious, others kind — that he believed originated in an underground world populated by the evil dero and the righteous tero, all descendants of an ancient race that once lived on the surface of the Earth but long ago fled to the stars. From those voices, and perhaps visions, Shaver constructed a deeply textured mythology of ancient wonders, sin, tragedy, and conflict that seemed to give some meaning to the voices in his head as well as to the triumphs and tragedies of his life.

In nursing school when I did my psych rotation at the state mental hospital I met a guy who truly believed he was the son of Superman. He woke up one morning distressed in the extreme because he had wet the bed during the night and was deeply afraid that it would cause an intergalactic incident, what with him being the son of Superman and all. You can't reason with unreasonable people so I assured him his secret was safe with me and covered up the evidence of his mishap (changed the sheets). The galaxy was safe once again.

OP
norton

norton

Reactions
In nursing school when I did my psych rotation at the state mental hospital I met a guy who truly believed he was the son of Superman. He woke up one morning distressed in the extreme because he had wet the bed during the night and was deeply afraid that it would cause an intergalactic incident, what with him being the son of Superman and all.
Well, that's just another instance of the Deros using their ray technology to implant thoughts in peoples' minds in order to discredit them. (I'm kidding.)

I don't necessarily subscribe to Shaver's cosmology, but there's a lot of stuff in The Hidden World (everything from Easter Island to subterranean cities to Mandela-effect-like phenomena to the causes of earthquakes to Nazi occultism to secret bases in Antarctica) that seems to resonate with themes on this site and he offers a semicoherent unified explanation. It might generate some fruitful discussion at any rate.

whitewave

Reactions
Shaver not the first to claim underworld creatures. "the belief in the existence of subterranean civilizations itself has a long history, and not just among the ancients who believed in one form or another of an underworld abode of the dead. Indeed, there are other instances in which fictional stories about the underworld have been regarded by some readers as revealing a hidden, sometimes religious truth. The Shaver Mystery, it turns out, is not without precedent. John Cleve Symmes’s hollow-earth novel Symzonia (1820), Edward Bulwer-Lytton’s Vril: The Power of the Coming Race (1871), and Willis George Emerson’s The Smokey God (1908) are all examples of fictional tales of underground civilizations that have been treated as true accounts and the source for religious belief by some members of the Theosophical and occult communities."

While I don't put much stock in Shaver since he was about the right age (25) for schizophrenia to kick in, there are ancient tales, as mentioned above, about underground civilizations. Considering that humans have probably had to seek shelter underground during times of cataclysm or war, it's entirely possible that the stories have some basis in fact. After the cataclysms/wars it may be that not everyone came out of hiding. I remember seeing Vietnam Vets in the Olympic Penninsula back in the 90's. They weren't ready to re-enter society and stayed hidden. I stealthily avoided them during my foraging forays cuz you never know what's gonna set them off.

milhaus

Reactions
Shaver was saying that our universe has positive (te = integrative) and negative (de = detrimental) energy and the Deros' minds had been warped by the negative energy. They were basically insane from a radioactive flare from the sun 12,000 years ago that wiped out humanity.

Deros = detrimental robot although they weren't actual robots. They had become controlled by detrimental energy.

I think he was trying to tie a lot of things together; past civilization, ETs, flying saucers, psychic phenomena, mental illness, missing or kidnapped people, hidden technology, etc, under one theory. If you look now, it appears that this has become or is attempting to be some sort of religious cult.

But this story really got me thinking when I read about it and I wondered if there are people underground from a previous civilization that were part man and part machine. Abandoned Cyborgs.

Maybe even partially operated by AI. What if we had reached singularity before or were on the verge before the collapse? Once it collapsed, then half of their functionality would be lost. If they were part of a hive mind and were suddenly brought back to reality, perhaps that would make anyone insane. Or the AI could still be partially functioning and is trying to get us to "reanimate" it so it can finally finish what it started since the Deros are replacing our leaders with doubles/clones.

People beneath your feet that are controlling you and your surroundings with technology. Kind of spooky! Anyway, there may be some element of truth but, either way, I think the ideas are at least really fun to think about. Thanks for posting the topic.