The secrets of Deadwood, South Dakota

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
A hidden world of hundreds of miles of craggy, twisting passageways - created over eons and adorned with intricate and bizarre crystal formations - snakes below the prairies and low granite mountains of western South Dakota. Countless mineshafts also burrow into the hillsides, monuments to man's eternal lust for gold. The most dramatic subterranean environment in the Black Hills is Jewel Cave. It was discovered in 1900 by two prospectors who felt a mysteriously strong breeze blowing from a tiny mountainside hole. They dynamited their way inside, only to discover tunnels branching off in every direction. Instead of gold, they found walls filled with sparkling crystals. - source.

deadwood_sd_1.jpg

Are we aware of any trees of this size in South Dakota?

Something is not sitting right with me and the history of the town of Deadwood, South Dakota. I was watching this alleged documentary (below), and with every sentence the entire story line was getting more and more ridiculous. Please dedicate some time to watching the video. Pretty sure you will point out the same areas I did. After spending some time on this forum, the BS of the official narrative will be screaming out loud.

Just to get you going, I will mention a few things which got me interested:

Thoen-Stone-Monument.jpg

• 1833 - seven men found chunks of Gold, but never made it out of the area - hunted down, and killed by the Indians.
    • The tale of first gold discovery in the Black Hills was thrown into question in 1887 by the discovery of what has become known as the Thoen Stone. Discovered by Louis Thoen on the slopes of Lookout Mountain, the stone purports to be the last testament of Ezra Kind who, along with six others, entered the Black Hills in 1833 (at a time when whites were forbidden by law and treaty from entering the area), "got all the gold we could carry" in June 1834, and were subsequently "killed by Indians beyond the high hill." While it may seem unlikely that someone who has "lost my gun and nothing to eat and Indians hunting me" would take the time to carve his story in sandstone, there is corroborating historical evidence for the Ezra Kind party.
  • The territory west of the Mississippi - not a part of the US. Empty land with no roads.
  • The name - Deadwood. Allegedly chosen due to dead bushes, trees and shrubs: food for thought.
  • Sacred Indian Grounds - The Black Hills of SD - eventually yielded $23 bln in gold.
  • The mine produced more than forty million troy ounces (43,900,000 oz; 1,240,000 kg) of gold during its lifetime.
  • The deepest mine in the United States - up to 8,000 feet deep.
  • The Black Hills - place in the middle of nowhere, with no good roads leading to the Hills.
  • Fort Meade (est. 1878) - established 14 miles away from Deadwood, and meant to protect the town of Deadwood (est. 1876), and the gold diggers.
  • Location of Fort Meade (low ground) makes no military sense. Even an expert in the video can not explain the location of this military installation. On the other hand, a civilian settlement built in the same location does make sense.
  • The perimeter of Fort Meade never had any walls (allegedly). It was protected by soldiers lining up around its perimeter.
  • Brick remains beneath the Commissary Building of Fort Meade: everything else appears to be made of wood.
  • Deadwood - burned to the ground in 1879. Quickly rebuilt in locally produced brick. Rebuilt before any railroad reached the town.
  • Within 4 hours after the town was burned down, the survivors were mining ashes for gold, so that they could begin the rebuilding process.
  • Population had never exceeded 5,000 people.
  • No railroad till at least 1888.
  • The 1876 battle of the Little Bighorn, which was victorious for the Indians, but lead up to a near annihilation of the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho.
Some links:
The questions I propose:
  • Why the lands west of Mississippi were not conquered in the 1870s?
  • Why do we have a brick basement beneath the 1870s Commissary on Fort Meade?
  • I think there could be more to the Little Bighorn story. The Lakota and co. were Native Americans, but who were they in reality?
  • Could there be a reason why the Black Hills were considered to be sacred grounds by the Indians?
  • What could be the true source of the Gold in the Black Hills. In other words what was hidden by the hills?
  • What ancient American city could have been located in this area of the South Dakota? In other words what were they really digging out of those Black Hills?
South Dakota.jpg

If you feel like trying to match any pre-existing settlement with the Town of Deadwood, here are some older maps of the North America.

Fort Meade
fort_meade_sd.jpg

There are quite a few rather interesting 1870s Deadwood photographs. I will post a few without any commentary for right now. Feel free to comment what you see.

deadwood - SD - 1.jpg

Lodge parade in Deadwood on May 21, 1890
deadwood_street_parade.jpg

Larger Image

1876 Dead Wood.jpg

Post-1878 (they say)
deadwood_connections.jpg

kd_separator.jpg

KD: Please watch the above video. Would really love to hear your opinion on what you see and hear in there. If you run into any interesting 1870s-1890s photographs of the town of Deadwood, or Fort Meade - please share them.

My questions are posted above. The questions are quite possibly way out there, but they did come to my mind. What is your opinion about this entire story?

Separately: apart from the shown in the video, I am yet to see a photograph of the brick remains situated below the commissary of the historical Fort Meade. If you find one - please post it here.

WarningGuy

Reactions
1877 photo.
The trees up on the hill don't look dead to me.
The street has a sharp bend in it where the plans in the documentary @44.20 show the streets to be in a straight line with no sharp bends.
In the doco he said all the saloons where at one end of town so why do i see only one hotel with shops around it? (In Australia a hotel is a saloon)
The street is very narrow compared to the width of the streets in the very first photo.
1890 photo
Wow look at the size of the brick building they built in only one year after the fire and they first had to make the bricks.
1876 photo is a total fake.

He shows a large drill hole to blow out the rock. What did they use to drill holes like that ?
The rail line man that was a lot of tunnels to dig out, a lot very high bridges to build and lay all that track. ALL in one year.
They were some deep holes in the open cut mine.
If you dig a mine shaft into the ground how and why would you go hill when the gold is deep down ?
The paving over the old rail line looks a hell of a lot older than 1983.
By the way KD that was quite excruciating watching 44min of MSMBS.

HulkSmash

Reactions
When looking at these pictures it made me think of that San Francisco panorama photo. What was the date of that 1873? If gold diggers make a town that looked like Deadwood, which looks like sloppy trash, junky looking wooden structures, there is absolutely NO way San Fran was created in 30 years to look like it did in that panorama. There is way more to the story of Deadwood and it sure appears like yet another cover up. The Black Hills region was most likely a special center of the previous civilization, maybe a spiritual place. If there were so many crystal formations, there was something going on there. It does appear to have some mud flood evidence, the slopes of the surrounding hills seem oddly steep to me, almost like old mining piling hills, but giant ones. And the trees appear pretty young on the slopes. This was probably where some giants lived. I wonder if any giant skeletons have been found in the region?

eddie

Reactions
deadwood_sd_1.jpg

Great find KD.
These buildings appear to be built over a creek?? Very strange.
And the hillsides are completely blasted of all vegetation except a few of the biggest trees as usual. Seems like you would get very bad landslides with nothing to stabilize the hillsides.
Also, what did Ezra use to cut the Thoen stone?? A laser?? I know of no tool of that time period that could cut that precisely.

RecycledSoul

Reactions
Can’t really pull up a lot on my phone to post, but no Black Hills story is complete without mention of Warrior Crazy Horse, son of a Lakota Shaman. Read up on him, he did some honorable things in defense of their land. Me being 1/8 NA, I tend to look at the other side with open mind. These “Savages” were just trying to defend what was rightfully theirs. Not trying to start an argument here, but the whole story leaves Lakota the poorest in Today’s society. They were essentially robbed, while the US Govt did nothing to stop it. Note: I am not Lakota, Just sayin ;)

“My land is where my dead ancestors lay buried”. Crazy Horse
Post automatically merged:

I watched another Deadwood “documentary” on YT last night. It said that The Gem Theatre brought in $4000 - $6000 a night in its heyday. In today’s money, that would be around $50000 USD A NIGHT! I can’t think of any service business today that can compare on that scale in a single outlet franchise. Incredible, if true and my math is correct.

Last edited: