The Most Beautiful Building in the Midwest is in Iowa?

Skydog

Reactions
Intro
Other household name content providers in our space have covered this American Wonder in very fine detail before (e.g. UAP dedicated an entire video to it on YouTube).

However, I was not able to find this particular building mentioned in any great detail on SH so thought I’d light up the stage one more time for what has been referred to as “The Most Beautiful Building in the Midwest”.

Iowa State Capitol Building
E3F5A815-E6EC-4149-B1B7-7CA41B2E1E3E.jpeg

The Iowa State Capitol Building, commonly called the Iowa Statehouse, is located in Iowa’s capital city of Des Moines.

Capitol Facts
• The Capitol was built between 1871 and 1886. It was designed by Alfred Piquenard and completed at a cost of $2.9 million.
• The Capitol is 275 feet tall.
• The Capitol dome has been gilded five times. The gold leaf covering the dome is 250,000th of an inch thick and is 23 and 3/4 karats.
• Twenty-nine different types of marble were used in the Capitol, including 22 foreign marbles and 7 domestic marbles.
• Twelve types of wood were used in the Capitol — all native to Iowa except mahogany.
• Twenty-four decorative fireplaces are contained in the Capitol.
• There are 109 rooms in the Capitol. Each one has its own design.
• The interior dimensions of the Capitol are 363 feet from north to south and 247 feet from east to west.
• There are 298 steps from the second floor to the top of the dome.
• The large dome is 80 feet in diameter. The smaller domes are 152 feet tall. The Iowa Capitol is the only state capitol with five domes.
• Fourteen million bricks were used in constructing the Capitol.
• The Capitol contains approximately 330,000 square feet of floor space.
• The buff-colored sandstone on the exterior was quarried in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri.

Some pics
ACEA001A-5C59-498D-B630-A572527EFB62.jpeg

17F6CAA1-146B-4855-A8E8-C301A34EEFBD.jpeg

AACA53E8-C2FD-4BD4-819E-C74AC1655597.jpeg

35C164A4-E84A-496A-8CF4-854F61E03DE7.jpeg

D7458DA5-8FEC-42F9-B99A-A8D2A70AEEB4.jpeg

167E2DE0-9F39-4278-9557-912F45764E26.jpeg

3296E1D8-9F62-435D-8C4A-5F33A57E5431.jpeg

Below are the demographics for Des Moines for reference. Des Moines - you got some splainin to do!
27157921-1F8C-492D-AF39-4F5F8FC4DF3A.jpeg

Ironic quote from a mainstream article called “The Iowa State Capitol is The Prettiest” - Herringbonefreelance.com

Step Back in the Late 1880s
“It took 15 years to complete the Iowa State Capitol, which was finished in 1886. Just think about that for a second. In the late 1880s, construction techniques relied on horse-drawn carriages, physical labor, and steam-powered cranes. The capitol’s construction period also spans the Civil War, which I haven’t verified but strongly suspect created delays due to manpower and material shortages (For those interested in monuments, the grounds are filled with Civil War statutes and memorials). Our state was also very young, having been established for a mere 25 years at the start of construction.”

My Two Cents (and more)
Ok, so I am going to cry foul here (again) for all the obvious reasons. In doing my standard rounds of research on this oldie but a goodie, at least where I come from. I spent a fair amount of time on the decorative fireplaces - because by golly, those red flags, all 24 of them, are practically burning my eyes out they are so glaring.

I’d already seen Conspiracies-R-Us’s fantastic videos on the Ponce de Leon hotel in Florida and the Palace of Versailles touching on the decorative fire place technology w/metal plates and two rods etc. Really great stuff, no doubt. I wish he would publish content more often but understand why he may not be of late.

But then I stumbled upon something that really took a valiant shot at not only describing the fireplace technology of our past, but also put forth an interesting theory on where everyone went from our past - and literally tied it directly to the mud flood. Some thought provoking $@#% to say the least - something that I personally had not come across yet, but I could just be late to the game - as usual.

Without further ado, below is a link to the full article + an excerpt on just the fire place section. Enjoy.

An In Depth Study of Tartaria

How did the first fireplaces and chimneys function?
The design
Tartarian fireplaces were as ornamentaly grand as the buildings that they resided in. These fireplaces were used as a type of bragging rights by revealing the intricate architecture of the homeowner’s taste to visiting guests and relatives.

Contrary to how we use fireplaces today, fireplaces themselves were not engineered to burn anything. Chimneys were not used to route smoke from the fireplace and outside of the home; and rebar in the structure of the home was not primarily used to provide any structural support.

The rebar in the home was connected to the roof top tower dome (which was quite possibly filled with various substances such as mercury or quartz crystal) and the metal poles sticking out of the top and sides of the building. All of this metal was then connected to the metal back plating found inside the original Tartarian fireplaces and chimneys.

Like the crosses found on top of churches, cathedrals, and mosques…the metal poles sticking out of the top and sides of homes and other Tartarian buildings acted as aetheric electrical antennas which harnessed the power of the aether and focused that free energy into the chimney.

Air ventilation shafts (air ducts) found throughout the home’s rooms were connected to the chimney.

The rebar, roof top tower dome, and metal poles sticking out of the sides of the home acted as a spider web, attracting the aether and concentrating the aetheric energy all throughout the home. Similar to how spiders are able to grow and survive without food and water so long as they are touching their web, the Tartarians were able to grow and survive without food and water so long as they stayed inside of their aetheric energized home.

Tartarian fireplaces and chimneys functioned as aetheric electrical vacuums (ionized central air units)
Tartarian fireplaces and chimneys were pressurized electric vacuums which acted as an air circulation unit inside of the home. The chimney itself was the vacuum chamber were everything took place.

The winter
During the winter, the homeowner would close the upper portion of the chimney. The connected rebar from the house focused the frictional heat from the rebar under stress from the structure into the chimney by way of the metal back plate.

The ornamentally grand metallic sculptings typically found decorating the outer perimeter of Tartarian fireplaces acted as capacitors by storing the built up aetheric energy collected by the roof top tower dome and top and side metal poles sticking out of the house. These metal sculptings were connected to the metal back plate found inside of the fireplace and up and down the chimney.

Along with the metal back plate, these metal sculptings where aetheric electrically charged due in part to being connected to the metal back plate which in turn was connected to the building’s rebar while the rebar was connected to the roof top tower dome and metal poles sticking out of the top and sides of the building which were used as antennas to help attract the universal energy of the aether itself. The fireplace’s metal sculptings helped to radiate structural tension heat from the rebar and metal back plate into the room where the fireplace was located.

Since the heat could not escape up through the chimney, the heat would then be forced to radiate throughout the chimney itself.

The heat would then be forced to radiate into the ventilation air ducts which were connected to the inside of the chimney.

The heat would travel inside of the ventilation air ducts and heat the rooms where the air ducts opened up to.

The rest of the heat trapped inside of the chimney would radiate out of the fireplace itself and with the help of the fireplace’s metal sculptings, heat the room it was in.

The heat output this type of central air circulation system would be dependent on the amount of rebar in the house, the amount of tensional stress applied to the rebar, whether or not the house had a tower dome and metal poles on the outside that were connected to the rebar inside, the size of the chimney, the size of the metal back plate, the size of the fireplace, and the size of the fireplace’s metal sculptings.

The summer
During the summer, the homeowner would open the upper portion of the chimney. The fireplace would acted as a pressurized vacuum powered by the aetheric electricity and suck the heat out of the rooms in the house by way of the air ventilation ducts and the fireplace itself.

The frictional heat that the connected rebar was under due to tensional stress from the house would begin to radiate up and out of the chimney.

In short…
Tartarian fireplaces were not designed to burn anything. The metal back plating found inside of the fireplace and chimney was connected to the rebar, upper tower dome, and outside metal poles which concentrated the power of the aether and focused that free energy onto the metal back plate inside of the chimney which ionized the air inside of the chimney. This ionized air coupled with the rising and falling of hot and cold air currents created a pressurized electric vacuum inside of the chimney. During the winter, chimneys acted as pressurized electric vacuums radiating trapped heat inside of the chimney out through the fireplace, metal sculptings, and air ventilation ducts connected to the inside of the chimney. During the summer, the process would reverse and the fireplace and air ventilation ducts would suck in heat into the fireplace and air ducts connected to the inside of the chimney from the inside of the house and by way of the ionized air from the aetheric electrically charged metal back plate inside of the chimney would force the heat up the chimney and out of the house.”

AgentOrange5

Reactions
Wow! That is an incredible building, I had not heard of it before. I have an extremely hard time believing it was built in the 1870's-1880's. I appreciate the talk on fireplaces, I think this explanation makes sense. It's pretty clear with people keeping all kinds of valuables and decorations over fireplaces, that they weren't actually being used for fire.

OP
Skydog

Skydog

Reactions
I found some interesting old pictures on the following website:

DM Hukill: Iowa State Capitol: Weird

EDC71095-419D-4D7A-ADC7-1714C29593D2.jpeg

Caption: Crews preparing and laying foundation work for the building, only to realize, in true Iowa fashion, that they'd done it all wrong and had to start over two years later. Photo circa 1871.

SD Comment: Hey, where did the massive five domed building in the background go?

7F88FCCD-6B77-48A9-A554-F1EEEAFAAD3A.jpeg

Caption: Brick Capitol to left with eight chimneys along its roof. Possibly still in use at this time, even if only as storage space. Notice the scaffolding around the Capitol dome. Photo circa early 1880's.

SD Comment: The massive five domed building looks pretty darn completed for being in the early 1880s (supposed construction period 1871-1886). But I guess since I was specifically directed to notice the scaffolding around the Dome - they are clearly, clearly still in the construction phase.

1B8FC687-B6FD-49DF-A846-977B03D0E75E.jpeg

Caption: Glass model, made to scale, of the newly finished Iowa State Capitol Building at the Columbian Exposition, Chicago World's Fair, 1893. This was housed in the Iowa Building.

SD Comment: Something doesn’t pass the smell test here - but haven’t quite my finger on it yet.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Construction goes with no comment.

This here is that Brick Capitol in allegedly 1892. Judging by the quality of the photograph, I'm not that sure it was 1892.

brick_capitol.jpeg

Would be nice to find out who made this glass model of the Iowa State Capitol Building, and where it is today.

Iowa Building.jpg

Allison Monument
commemorating Senator William Allison
allison_monument.jpeg

In 1917, friends of Senator William B. Allison, citizens and school children of Iowa, and the state legislature raised this memorial.

William Boyd Allison (March 2, 1829 – August 4, 1908) was an early leader of the Iowa Republican Party, who represented northeastern Iowa in the United States House of Representatives before representing his state in the United States Senate. By the 1890s, Allison had become one of the "big four" key Republicans who largely controlled the Senate.

William_B._Allison_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

This is like one of the most hilariously ridiculous monuments dedicated to a male person I have ever seen. It's just too funny IMHO.

allison_monument_2.jpg

Older pics were taken from here - Iowa State Capitol Building: Weird.

Banta

Reactions
I presume that's supposed to represent William's inner Allison.

... designed by Evelyn B. Longman of New York. A central plaque picturing Allison is flanked by symbols of “Knowledge” on the left and “Peace” on the right. The former is followed by “Legislature” and “Financial Prosperity,” the latter by “Humanity” and “Agricultural Prosperity.” The topmost figure, “The Republic.”
So it's Lady Liberty and all the predecessors to that. Disappointing in it's obviousness.

The sculptor Evelyn Beatrice Longman:

The daughter of Edwin Henry and Clara Delitia (Adnam) Longman, she was born on a farm near Winchester, Ohio. At the age of 14, she earned a living working in a Chicago dry-goods store.[2] At the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition, which she visited when she was almost 19 years old, Longman was inspired to become a sculptor.[3] She attended Olivet College in Michigan for one year but returned to Chicago to study anatomy, drawing, and sculpture. Working under Lorado Taft at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, she earned her diploma for the four-year course of study in only two years.

In 1901, Longman moved to New York, where she studied with Hermon Atkins MacNeil and Daniel Chester French. Her debut in large-scale public sculpture came at the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition, where her male figure, Victory, was deemed so excellent in invention and technique that it was given a place of honor on the top of the fair's centerpiece building, Festival Hall.[4

I'm sorry, her wiki is amazing. Continuing:

Longman's 1915 Genius of Electricity, a gilded male nude, was commissioned by AT&T Corporation for the top of their corporate headquarters in downtown Manhattan. The figure was reproduced on Bell Telephone directories across the country from 1938 until the 1960s. Around 1920, Longman assisted Daniel Chester French and Henry Bacon by creating some of the sculptural decorations for the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. In 1923, she won the Watrous Gold Medal for best sculpture.[6]
She is also often noted for sculpting the hands on the Lincoln Memorial, although this is not confirmed to be true. She assisted with many aspects of the Lincoln Memorial, but French himself modeled the hands.
Pretty iconic stuff, especially the Genius of Electricity. And I wonder how she got falsely attributed with Lincoln's hands... Which by the way, there is apparently a "myth" about those hands:

Lincoln's hands are making sign language symbols of his initials "A" and "L."
Sculptor Daniel Chester French used molds of Lincoln's hands cast in 1860 to guide his work. These molds were created with Lincoln's hands in a loose fist. Instead of keeping both hands closed, French chose to relax Lincoln's right hand. From this presentation, many infer the duality of Lincoln's power and strength on the closed left hand, and his compassion and peace on the right. This interpretation fits in with the motif of oak leaves and olive branches throughout the memorial, symbols of strength and peace, respectively.
The idea that French coded Lincoln's initials into his hands likely stems from another of French's sculptures, Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and Alice Cogswell. Gallaudet was a co-founder of the first school for the deaf in America, and French's statue honoring him now stands at Gallaudet University in northeast Washington, D.C. In that statue, Gallaudet is depicted with Alice Cogswell, his first student, who is signing the letter "A" with her right hand, symbolizing her education in sign language.
While French had an understanding of sign language characters, he did not incorporate explicit symbols into his sculpture of Lincoln. Status: False.

Lincoln Memorial Myths - Lincoln Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

Sorry if I just got off the trail there a bit...

JWW427

Reactions
My Dad is a retired US Senator.
No way would anyone build a monument to a politician, no matter what they did for a state.
Nor would he have let them do so.
Poor taste. Deification. More naked gods and goddesses.
It's obviously another item they needed a cover story for.
JWW

Starmonkey

Reactions
Geh.
What?!
I was born in that city and lived the first 22 years of my life in IA. Then MN, WI, MI and now CO for the last 17 or so.
Anyway... IRRELEVANT.
But, yes, love the gold leaf. Always wanted to get a closer look at the statues circling the inside of the dome inside. All stupid GREEK names, I'm sure. Perhaps Latinized...
Most beautiful is a BOLD statement. And obviously false. Eye of the beholder and all that.
The Terrace Hill mansion that used to house the governor is interesting too. Electric climate control, ornate woodwork and architecture. Told my mom to go check it out and report back, but she selectively screens most of what I communicate these days because of COGNITIVE DISSONANCE.
Lost a few friends with that too... And my wife doesn't even like to entertain my ideas along those lines for the most part.
Nature's first green is GOLD.
Her hardest hue to hold...