The Mormon Temple and Tabernacle in Utah

jd755

Reactions
Prior to this, I couldn't have named a single thing that President Polk ever accomplished. Now I know he was a Freemason, although probably a lot of presidents were. Clearly, I need to do more reading on the Freemasons. So much to study, so little time!
No point studying them as far as I can tell they will turn up like a bad smell no matter what passed event is under discussion. The fun comes in from making the seemingly obscure connections, as with Polk, come into the light of scrutiny, so too speak.
I'll lay odds that they are involved with the Russian American company angle to this Mormon story and they are never far away from 'cashing in' as the electric mormon masons did/do.

ScottFreeman

Reactions
I'm assuming the picture of the 'organ' above is in the temple. This picture is supposed to be inside the tabernacle.

I guess those 114 men and 3 women who arrived first set this monster up too, right before they started work on the temple...you gotta have your music while making stone buildings. That's a priority. 🤨
Post automatically merged:

I tried but I can't quite make out the writing on the photo. Anyone good with Photoshop?

Last edited:

Plissken

Reactions
I'm assuming the picture of the 'organ' above is in the temple. This picture is supposed to be inside the tabernacle.

I guess those 114 men and 3 women who arrived first set this monster up too, right before they started work on the temple...you gotta have your music while making stone buildings. That's a priority. 🤨

I tried but I can't quite make out the writing on the photo. Anyone good with Photoshop?
. The pictures I posted are of two different pipe organs located in Salt Lake at locations other than the Mormon Tabernacle Organ that you have pictured - three total. And the Mormon Tabernacle is located in this building that we talked about briefly. and they have added on to the Tabernacle organ since it was built. They love their pipe organs in SLC!

The middle photo of the "building" of the tabernacle looks like a repair to me. Every builder I know builds the roof structure, then they deck and single the roof.

🐍 Plissken

jd755

Reactions

LAYING THE CAPSTONE OF THE GREAT TEMPLE AT SALT LAKE CITY UTAH APRIL 6th 1892

Under the word LAYING on the bottom left is a triangle with two symbols in it and two words to the immediate right of the triangle.
The top word is 'PART' cannot make out the bottom word.
The larger of the two symbols kinda looks like a $ sign but not convinced.
Will try and find a higher resolution picture.

Last edited:

ScottFreeman

Reactions
LAYING THE CAPSTONE OF THE GREAT TEMPLE AT SALT LAKE CITY UTAH APRIL 6th 1892

Under the word LAYING on the bottom left is a triangle with two symbols in it and two words to the immediate right of the triangle.
The top word is 'PART' cannot make out the bottom word.
The larger of the two symbols kinda looks like a $ sign but not convinced.
Will try and find a higher resolution picture.
View attachment 18623View attachment 18624
That part I could see, I should have been more specific. I meant the faded/lightened handwriting over the upper sky portion

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
That part I could see, I should have been more specific. I meant the faded/lightened handwriting over the upper sky portion

View attachment 18635
Good yes I never noticed that. Done me best and identified these letters and numbers.

am Qullnty
True West
****ano OC
D* *n

I or il am *

Oct 8 1889
SOC

The writing top right disappears under the picture of the temple so possible someone was writing on the top of the photo paper before printing. Only guessing mind.

Anotherlayer would be able to do something more with these methinks.

ScottFreeman

Reactions
Good yes I never noticed that. Done me best and identified these letters and numbers.

am Qullnty
True West
****ano OC
D* *n

I or il am *

Oct 8 1889
SOC

The writing top right disappears under the picture of the temple so possible someone was writing on the top of the photo paper before printing. Only guessing mind.

Anotherlayer would be able to do something more with these methinks.
View attachment 18636View attachment 18637View attachment 18638View attachment 18639
Nice! I could pick out a little more. It looks like the older block format of letter style.

Oct. 8, 1(9?)84 Wayne S(?)
3787 D(?)
SOC I
John (Qullenty?)
(True?) West
(? ) OC

Dear John,

I am writing...

It looks like they either wrote over parts of the picture or it was a letter somehow stained into the picture; but also somehow not a reversed image of the text. That date sure doesn't look like 1884 but I guess I might be. 1984 wouldn't make sense unless the letter or writing was added much later.

Probably a distraction. Author may be left handed...looks like my old handwriting slanting left in places.

Also, the 'construction' of the tabernacle looks like they covered over a bricked? building inside, if that means anything.

ScottFreeman

Reactions
This the temple interior crew it looks like but could conceivably be the tabernacle too, although the rest of the images are of the temple. No idea what date sadly.
From here ¼ÖÆ®·¹ÀÌÅ© ¼ºÀü-¼¼°èÀÇ ºÒ°¡»çÀÇ
View attachment 18641
That's some amazing engineering. Main structure of iron/steel(?) surrounded by cut stone and/or geopolymer blocks...must have been braced for no flex...virtually bomb proof. The interior looks all wooden. I don't think fires would harm these structures. Shovel out ash > Replace roof > rebuild flooring and interior > repeat as needed.

jd755

Reactions
Those are central system water heated radiators. Crazy stuff they had back then.
Yep. I took a lot out in the shipyard days and even went to the lengths of flushing a small one out and wire brushing/burning all the paint off, then buying it as 'scrap' to install it in the bathroom. Didn't happen as the lady of the house didn't like the 'look of it'!
And my god they are heavy.

Looks like either steel supports on the back wall being furred out or possibly cast iron downspouts. Hard to tell really but the columns on the open side to the right of the picture look like they are iron or steel.

Not strictly Tabernacle or Temple but as a bit of background into the nature of the people who invented the Mormon religion and both of the giant buildings check out these weird (to me at least) Mormon structures from Salt Lake City.

From here Seeing Salt Lake City – 031-040 |
The symbolism at play in this gate is beyond my knowing but it feels creepy. The eagle holding the ball (earth maybe) or pinecone shaped dome affair with the four inverse arches connected to the ball by a lantern bearing a five point star and connecting at the other end to four domed towers which are four sided truncated pyramids and remind me of 'roman' siege towers or the tower of Babylon feels to me has to symbolise something for the people who travel under it let alone the man who dreamt it up.

The Beehive House and Eagle Gate, October 9, 1908. The original Eagle Gate spanned the entrance to Brigham Young’s estate at State Street and South Temple. The larger version of the gate was erected in 1891, after State Street had been extended north. In 1963, with the widening of the street, a third Eagle Gate was placed on this site.

Seems as with all religions the church leaders always get the best and biggest houses!
This place just oozes high quality all the way through from garden railings to roof decoration Not dissimilar to the Stanford and Horton homes in San Francisco. The painting crew give a good idea of scale.

Philip Dern Company painting the Gardo House, May 14, 1908. This mansion on the corner of South Temple and State Street was built in the 1870s as an official residence for LDS church president Brigham Young. Although Young died before the house was completed, the fact that his youngest wife, Amelia Folsom, was to live in it earned it the nickname “the Amelia Palace.”

An interesting take on the not so squeaky clean Mormons, the settling of San Francisco, President Polk's actions, Old Maps, The Survivor Culture, Gold, Mercury and more all in one blog post. Fancy that!

The Mudflood, Queen Califia and the Gold Rush

Oh and the mud flood theory to boot.

Last edited: