• An outpost to keep an eye on Earth

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • An Oceanic tide controller

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • An unnatural satellite of Earth

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • A big cheese ball

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • It's natural, nothing to see here folks, move along now.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters

Andromeda

Reactions
Often heard and it is often repeated that the moon and the sun appear the same size in the sky because of some 'fluke' and size/ distance etc.

Did a little exercise a while back to test this.

Same camera (Canon 5d Mk3), same lens (Canon L series 24-105), same focal length (105mm) same location.

The moon is clearly not the same size as the sun. These photos were taken 3 days apart, 7th Feb 2016 for the sun and 10th Feb 2016 for the moon.
Does the moon move that much in 2 days to make it appear smaller? Not sure. optical illusion?

All I know is, from my perspective, the moon is a good bit smaller, and a different shape to the sun. (note, the octagon shape of the sun is the aperture on the lens)

Love to hear your thoughts! I am sure there is a Wikipedia explanation for this?

View attachment 14995

View attachment 14996
View attachment 14997
Lunar eclipses show that they are approximately the same size. It could be a visual illusion though.

Timeshifter

Reactions
Lunar eclipses show that they are approximately the same size. It could be a visual illusion though.
Optical illusion, and programming go a long way to explaining most of these phenomenon, IMO. (y)

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
Can anyone explain to this befuddled child the scientific experiments done by shooting lasers off the moon mirror if we never went to the moon? TIA
They had bounced lasers off the moon before any reflectors were supposedly put there.

The moon is pretty reflective, and that tiny mirror would be a one in a million shot anyhow.

In other words, the reflectors are not necessary.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I’m currently in Mexico on the East Coast. I have not seen Moon even once yet. May be it’s not supposed to be visible, but it’s just weird. Clear night skies and no Moon to be found.

trismegistus

Reactions
I’m currently in Mexico on the East Coast. I have not seen Moon even once yet. May be it’s not supposed to be visible, but it’s just weird. Clear night skies and no Moon to be found.
Funny you say that, I've been noticing that where I live as well. I usually take the dogs out between 6:30-7:30PM most nights, sometimes the moon will be in a predictable spot but other nights it is completely absent from the sky. I know new moons are a thing, but it is happening much more frequently than ~once a month. I feel like there should be an explanation as to why, until then I'm left scratching my head as to why the moon keeps disappearing.

0harris0

Reactions
the moon does this, remember it cycles out of sync with the sun!
for some parts of a lunar month it's only visible very late nights/early mornings or morning/daytime or daytime/early eve!

some site said:
Because of the Earth's rotation, the moon is above the horizon roughly 12 hours out of every 24. Since those 12 hours almost never coincide with the roughly 12 hours of daylight in every 24 hours, the possible window for observing the moon in daylight averages about 6 hours a day.