The Michigan Relics

flameto

Reactions
Throughout the 19th century, thousands of artifacts covered in hieroglyphics were dug up in Michigan by farmers and such. In the 1890s, a guy named Scotford made a specialty out of finding them and tried to get people interested.

He invited skeptical archeologists to accompany him to a dig, and one of them claimed to see Scotford use sleight-of-hand to plant the artifact as he was digging and pretend to find it. They then used this to discredit the artifacts entirely, despite the fact that they had been found also by other people far earlier in the century.

Later a patent lawyer/WW2 code breaker looked at them for a few decades and wrote a book arguing that they were real and were the product of persecuted or dissident Christians fleeing the Vatican following the Council of Nicaea.

What do you think?

Michigan Relics 1.png
Michigan Relics 2.png
Michigan Relics 3.png
Michigan Relics 4.png
Michigan Relics 5.png

Michigan Relics 6.png

Imgs came from this pdf and there's more I didn't grab.

- THE VERY ODD CASE OF THE “MICHIGAN RELICS”
- The Mysterious Michigan Relics

Onijunbei

Reactions
Someone wrote a book about Roman artifacts being found in Michigan (he did an interview awhile back with Henrick of Red Ice radio). His thesis was that the Romans were getting the majority of their copper from mines in Michigan because their wasnt enough supply of copper in the Roman empire to validate the extensive amount of copper being used by the army and the buildings of that empire. Allegedly Roman artifacts were found in Michigan and according to the "timeline" the Romans should never have been there because America was not to be founded for another 1000 years. Take what you want from this info.

PrincepAugus

Reactions
Someone wrote a book about Roman artifacts being found in Michigan (he did an interview awhile back with Henrick of Red Ice radio). His thesis was that the Romans were getting the majority of their copper from mines in Michigan because their wasnt enough supply of copper in the Roman empire to validate the extensive amount of copper being used by the army and the buildings of that empire. Allegedly Roman artifacts were found in Michigan and according to the "timeline" the Romans should never have been there because America was not to be founded for another 1000 years. Take what you want from this info.
I would think at least all of the ancient civilizations has touched upon the Americas once.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Any Atlantis scale civilization would have inhibited the entire planet.

Yet, I constantly wonder, what kind of advanced civilization would write on clay tablets? Pertains to all of them advanced ones.

whitewave

Reactions
If you subscribe to the Pangaea theory that all the continents were one big land mass long ago (basically a huge island) then it makes sense that North America would have been known. If you also subscribe to the expanding earth theory then when the continents broke up, North America may have been within visible sight of their neighbors but as the earth expanded, the continents drifted further and further apart until they were no longer in sight of one another. Several generations pass and voilla! forgotten continents.

OP
F

flameto

Reactions

I think this book at least attempts. Not sure how far she goes with it. I'm gonna try to pick up a copy sometime.

BStankman

Reactions
I think these are a fake. Only because they look like they are done by the same artists.

But I have seen Celtic, Egyptian, Hebrew, Templar, Phoenician, Viking, "Roman", African, Japanese and more that look authentic and are disappeared.

Somehow a billion pounds of copper was mined in Minnesota and taken to Europe.

And don't forget there is an entire state that believes non Indian people were here.

mormon.jpg

Last edited:
OP
F

flameto

Reactions
Yet, I constantly wonder, what kind of advanced civilization would write on clay tablets? Pertains to all of them advanced ones.
Yeah, same. If these are real though, and Mertz's explanation is correct (which I've only read summaries of so far), in this case maybe it's that they were people fleeing into a region which at that time didn't have developed society and infrastructure, and they had to make do with clay for lack of better materials. It still seems like a bulky, low-bandwidth method of storing/transferring information though.

Glumlit

Reactions
Do you wish to know more?
There was an entire series on the fake History channel. Great Lakes Copper Heist

https://www.history.com/shows/america-unearthed/season-1/episode-3

And the Mormons will send you a book for free.
I made it fifteen minutes into that episode. I think I'd rather read the book of Mormon.

What I really want to find is if the entirety of the great lakes were mined out, sifted through, and then dumped/discarded as the Appalachians or something.

kidAlien

Reactions
I've always found this interesting. 1/2 a billion pounds of copper was mined in Michigan during the bronze age. No one knows where the copper went and Native legend says it was mined by "fair haired marine men".

The interesting thing about the copper from Michigan is it is of very high quality and has a specific make up that differentiates it from copper found/mined outside the region....so basically it can be traced directly back to the Keweenaw peninsula.

I'll need to do some research as it has been a while since I've read the literature etc but I believe some of this copper was found in a Minoan shipwreck. This also tied in to the Minoan's having a hand in the mound building found through the midwest (Serpent mound, etc.). Will report back.