The many faces and costumes of Tartaria

jd755

Reactions
Just felt I need to see these people in one place so if you know of any other images labelled Tartarian in any of its forms or languages please add them here.
From here Kircher : La Chine illustrée
LA CHINE d'Athanase KIRCHERE, 1670

I. Lama tartare. - III. Femme de Kalmak. - II. Tartare de Kalmak. - IV. Roue volubile. - A. L'habitation des Tartares.
  • In English: I. Tartar Lama. - III. Kalmak woman. II. Kalmak Tartar. - IV. Voluble wheel. - A. The dwelling of the Tartars.

VII. Figure d'une Tartare septentrionale vue en face. - VIII. Marque le derrière.
  • In English: VII. Figure of a northern Tartar facing. VIII. Mark the backside.
From here: Antiqua Print Gallery Search

'Femmes de la Tartarie Septentrionale, par Grueber
[Women of northern Tartary, by Grueber]' 1749

Tartares Orientaux tirés de Nieuhof
[Oriental Tartars taken from Nieuhof]' 1749

'Tartares Taguris, tirés dYsbrand Ides
[Taguri Tartars from Isbrand Ides]'

'Tartarres' 1683
Tartary (Latin: Tartaria) or Great Tartary (Latin: Tartaria Magna) was a name used by Europeans from the Middle Ages until the twentieth century to designate the Great Steppe, that is the great tract of northern and central Asia stretching from the Caspian Sea and the Ural Mountains to the Pacific Ocean inhabited mostly by Turkic, Mongol peoples and also by some Cossacks of Russian origin, citizens of the Mongol Empire who were generically referred to as "Tartars", i.e. Tatars. It incorporated the current areas of Pontic-Caspian steppe, Volga-Urals, Caucasus, Siberia, Turkestan, Mongolia, and Manchuria. Tartary was often divided into sections with prefixes denoting the name of the ruling power or the geographical location. Thus, western Siberia was Muscovite or Russian Tartary, Xinjiang and Mongolia were Chinese or Cathay Tartary, western Turkestan (later Russian Turkestan) was known as Independent Tartary, and Manchuria was East Tartary. As the Russian Empire expanded eastward and more of Tartary became known to Europeans, the term fell into disuse. Tartary never existed as a formal political state, but was ancient part of a Mongol state created by Genghis Khan. European areas north of the Black Sea inhabited by Turkic peoples were known as Little Tartary. Marked on the map are Catay (Cathay), Kalmouques, Usbeck, Turquestan, Perse, Niulan, Yupi, Tibet (and Lassa/Lhasa)

'Roi Tartare de la Chine' In English
'King Tartar of China' 1683

Shown in the print is the Kangxi Emperor (; temple name: Shengzu which means "The Holy Lord" 4 May 1654 20 December 1722), who was on the throne at the time the print was published. He is referred to in the text as Yunchi, son of Xunchi (Sunzhi). He was the fourth emperor of the Qing Dynasty, the first to be born on Chinese soil south of the Pass (Beijing) and the second Qing emperor to rule over China proper, from 1661 to 1722.

'Femmes, tirées du P. du Halde. Dame Tartare;
Bonzesse; Paisane; Servante
[Women, taken from du Halde. Tartar lady;
Buddhist nun; Peasant; Servant]'

A bonze is a Buddhist religious teacher; a bonzess is a nun 1749

'Tartar women of Erivan' 1880

'Peti(t)s Tartares' 1683

'A new Hollander; A Tartar; A Chinese' c1790

'Tartares de Naun Koton, ou, Tsitsikar
[Tartars of Naun Koton, or Qiqihar]' 1749

'Tartares Usbens [Usbek Tartars]' 1749

'Tartares Kohonor, par Grueber.
Lama ou Pretre; Un Homme;
Une femme [Koko Nor Tartars, by Grueber.
Lama or priest; a man; a woman]' 1749

Last edited:

GroundhogLfe

Reactions
Good topic to gather all kinds of pictures of them under a single thread.

A couple of striking things come out to me from a few of those images. The Northern Tartarian women are depicted being around palm trees. They and the Tartar women from Erivan show some resemblance to what could even be seen as some modern day gypsy features.

Also the woman with the fan resembles having clothes that remind me of some Chinese clothes, but not showing any modern day Asiatic feature in her.

The 'new Hollander' just looks weird, but I remember seeing a map posted in this forum where there was an area of "New Holland" in the northern coast of Russia fairly close to Finland. Just can't remember the thread and post where I noticed the map and wondered about it.

Even from these it is however quite clear that there has been a variety of people living in that area. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
OP
J

jd755

Reactions
From here Antique Prints of West Central Asia - Kazakh, Kirghiz, Tadzhik, Turkmen and Uzbek

"Un Berger Tartar" Wood engraving ca 1880.

1. Fille Kalmouk, 2. 3 & 4 Famille Tatare
  • In English 1. Kalmuk girl, 2. 3 & 4 Tatar family 1845

Chsse au Falcon des Kirguises" A Tartarian falconry hunting party. 1840

"Sultan Kirghiz" A Tartarian Sultan with falcon 1840

"Le Lama des Tartares Mongols."
"The Lama of the Mongols Tartars."

From here: English school (19th century) - Tartars of Armenia (at auction)

Tartars of Armenia. dated August 15th 1823

From ebay

This engraving was published in 18th century compendium of important travel writing: "New General Collection of Voyages and Travels". Dated 1745

From here: Old maps and antique prints on sale | Mapandmaps

Tartar tribe, Siberians Tartars Turkomans Old print Seeger 1880

Central Asian Women - Tartar women Old print Bellin 1750
  • Title: Women drawn from P. du Halde
    • 1.Dame Tartare 2. Bonzesse 3. Paisan 4. Servant (Kalmuks Tartars)

Russia Taguri-Tartars antique print by Hogg 1782.

Crimean Tatars antique print Carl Hellfahrt 1832

Last edited:

anotherlayer

Reactions
The Nenets' still dress the same as they always have (as Tartarians). Look no further for their Winter gear:

And let's not leave out the Komi people and the Tchubashis:

The Komi people are cool simply because their coat of arms is the eagle looking dead at you.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Figured I will add a couple of related images

Grand Khan?

Khan #2

Tartarian Princess?

Tartarian Nobility?

Tartarian Women

The above reminds me this

Not to be discussed in this thread please
(to preserve the thought)

OP
J

jd755

Reactions
From here: Antique Maps/Antique Prints/Antique Anatomy/Antique botanical/Antique Sea Chart

NAGAI TARTARS: A WOMAN OF DISTINCTION,
HER DAUGHTER, A FEMALE SERVANT 1807​

From here: The Peremech Lounge

Crimean Tartars

This plate shows different Tatar people in their local dress. From left to right; Uzbeks, Tatars of Casan and Bucharien.

Tattara woman from Kazan

Mişär Tatar Women 1794

A fascinating book Costume of Kazan Tatars

A pertinent comment by the author of that blog;
"I often see images on the Internet that are labeled "Tatar" or "Tartare" that are not of our people. In the 19th Century, Many peoples were erroneously called "Tatar".

From here: Photochroms - Russia

Russian types of Tartar, (i.e., Tatar),
women of the Caucasus, Russia, 1890-1900

GroundhogLfe

Reactions
Yeah, possible, that clothing or lack of it would fit the weather condition much better there. I just remembered a map from this forum on some thread where there was also a "New Holland" in the northern Russian coast, fairly close or a bit east to today's Arkhangelsk. The map was from the 17th or 18th century if I recall it right and it just stuck on my mind and found it fairly interesting. If someone finds it and there is some meat for the bones on that to be found, perhaps it could warrant it's own thread. There's also a "New Holland" island in St. Petersburgh apparently, but I guess this is taking it too far and is considered derailing from the topic, so I'll just leave it at if anyone finds anything more to the Dutch in Russia, then at least I'd be interested for an own thread or put it to my general questions and brainstorming thread.

[edit]

Found the map and the post, added here under this general topic to avoid derailing.

Last edited: