The History of Slavery in Europe?

OP
Mabzynn

Mabzynn

Reactions
A little bit more on the level of deception happening here:

metternich.png

So he's known as the successor of Napoleon:

Lord Beauvale seems to know what is really up...

1563830163614.png

Keep in mind this correspondence is from 1841 a full 26 years after Metternich's part in abolishing slavery in Europe.

Here's how the conventional story goes:
The leaders of the great powers who represented themselves at Vienna were Emperor Francis I of Austria, King Frederick Wilhelm III of Prussia, and Czar Alexander I of Russia. The leaders of Great Britain and France were represented by their foreign ministers, Viscount Castlereagh and Prince Talleyrand, respectively. Prince Klemens von Metternich, the foreign minister of Austria, however, dominated the conference. Metternich had three goals at the congress: first, he wanted to prevent future French aggression by surrounding France with strong countries; second, he wanted to restore a balance of power (see above), so that no country would be a threat to others; and third, he wanted to restore Europe’s royal families to the thrones they held before the Napoleonic Wars. He accomplished his first goal by making the countries around France stronger (the Austrian Netherlands and Dutch Republic united to form the Kingdom of the Netherlands; thirty-nine German states were loosely joined to create the German Confederation, which was dominated by Austria; Switzerland became an independent state; and the Kingdom of Sardinia was strengthened by annexing Genoa). Metternich’s second goal was accomplished by having France return to its borders of 1790 and relinquishing all territory conquered by Napoleon. Additionally, France was forced to pay an indemnity and accept an army of occupation for five years. Lastly, Metternich accomplished his third goal by restoring the Bourbons to the thrones in France, Spain, and the Kingdom of Two Sicilies (the brother of Louis XVI inherited the throne of France as Louis XVIII). Additionally, the Hapsburgs came back to rule several Italian states and many former rulers of the German states regained their thrones.

Here's what the Jewish Virtual Library has to say about the matter:

METTERNICH, PRINCE KLEMENS WENZEL VON° (1773–1859), Austrian statesman. A supporter of Jewish rights in the German Confederation and abroad – although in Austria itself he did little for the Jews – at the Congress of Vienna he consistently supported the liberal policy of Karl August von *Hardenberg and Wilhelm *Humboldt (see Congress of *Vienna). He repeatedly warned the senate of *Frankfurt on the Main not to infringe upon the rights of its Jewish community and sent letters of protest to *Hamburg, *Luebeck, and *Bremen when they deprived their Jewish citizens of their civil rights. During the 1819 *Hep! Hep! riots he cautioned the Frankfurt authorities against letting matters get out of control. Metternich ordered his diplomatic agents to reveal France's complicity in the 1840 Damascus *blood libel affair. A frequenter of the sophisticated Jewish salons of Vienna, he associated, for business and pleasure, with the patrician Jewish banking families to such a degree that the *Rothschilds were suspected of aiding his escape from revolutionary *Vienna in 1848. His right-hand man, Friedrich von Gentz, was also sympathetic to Jewish causes.
If you'd like to read a paper on Jewish slavers in the Crimean:
https://is.muni.cz/el/1421/podzim2013/AEB_37/um/44673887/Kizilov_JJS.pdf

Anyway... please don't let this devolve into a racial or religious debate. I'm merely questioning the extent of this "slave army" used by the "Holy Alliance" in the 1800's.

1) We have a major controller.
2) We have a source acknowledging slave armies and the use of Francs? Despite France losing the war?.... Makes sense.....

Last edited:

esgee1

Reactions
Sounds like a serfdom to me:
serf
noun
1. a person in a condition of servitude, required to render services to a lord, commonly attached to the lord's land and transferred with it from one owner to another.
2. a slave.
According to Wikipedia's article about serfdom:
In Eastern Europe the institution persisted until the mid-19th century. In the Austrian Empire serfdom was abolished by the 1781 Serfdom Patent; corvée continued to exist until 1848.
That 1848 date coincides with the end of Kemens von Metternich's chancellorship of the Austrian Empire. I find that very interesting.
corvée
noun
1. European history a day's unpaid labour owed by a feudal vassal to his lord
2. the practice or an instance of forced labour
According to Wikipedia's article about corvée:
Corvée labour (specifically: Socage) was essential in the feudal economic system of the Habsburg monarchy – later Austrian Empire – and most German states that have belonged to the Holy Roman Empire. Farmers and peasants were obliged to do hard agricultural work for their nobility. When a cash economy became established, the duty was gradually replaced by the duty to pay taxes.
I would say that the slaves referred to in the Niles' Register 1825 article were Corvée labourers.

Last edited:

LndShrk

Reactions
I always used to wonder the difference between:
  • an indentured servant in the American south who must work until they can buy their way out and
  • a royal subject who must pay royal taxes in perpetuity
Also consider the fact that the United States IRS expects you to pay taxes no matter where in the world you live or work.

These old documents about her Majesty deciding to eliminate slavery sounds like nothing more than an appeal to the slaves and a threat to the slave holders and reminds me of Daenerys moving her way through Esteros. Even today the way they talk about plantations in the American Deep South, for example the Houmas House Plantation (now a bed and breakfast) is described as having been one of the largest slaveholders in the antebellum era, sounds like Jeff Bezos bragging about how many employees he has at one of his Amazon fulfillment centers.

Maybe one day when artificial intelligence renders shift work obsolete the word "employee" will have a dirty connotation.