The Great Wall of China: what is it made of?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I’m not even sure what to say here. A little while ago a portion of the Great Wall of China collapsed due to excessive rain. And there it was.

890C7661-4ABD-4646-B921-DE77EF2B6694.jpegA0433D09-B07F-49B5-8CD7-2920D4258909.jpegD4DFFAD7-EDCB-4BC7-94A4-63B71AF4C0D5.jpeg
That’s some fortification you can dig through with a shovel. Is there anything real left in this world?

Courtesy of @anotherlayer in this Tartary thread. Here is what the wall was supposed to be made of.

1847_tartary_chinese_wall_1.jpg

My guess for an official explanation of this hiccup: it was a contemporary reproduction of some portion of the wall which did not survive the perils of time. Just kidding there, temped earth is the answer.

Good thing it does not rain excessively on the Egyptian pyramids, don’t you think?

PrincepAugus

Reactions
Hmm? I don't see a discrepancy there. I've never heard that the Great Wall of China was built "ahead of it's time". Rammed earth seems like a good answer. And I would like to see if there has been any renovations on that particular part of the wall to be sure.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
May be the defensive capabilities. It appears that it can be collapsed with rather low military effort.

PrincepAugus

Reactions
May be the defensive capabilities. It appears that it can be collapsed with rather low military effort.
The wall had to be repaired many times from invasions, from Mongolians to the Japanese. The walls aren't the quality of the Classical and Late Antiquity styles in the West. However, I find an interesting Wiki article relating the "Gates of Alexander" to the Great Wall of China if one were to place the walls to the East. And then there's this wiki of the "Great Wall of China Hoax".

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
The Gates of Alexander is a hard topic, assuming you are talking about the metal wall. The source is mostly the Koran,and if you follow the directions they take you far far north through Russia.

PrincepAugus

Reactions
The Gates of Alexander is a hard topic, assuming you are talking about the metal wall. The source is mostly the Koran,and if you follow the directions they take you far far north through Russia.
Now that I know of the Gates of Alexander just now, would you think that the walls are Tartarian in origin? Given the wall's length and area.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I think there is a big misconception about the significance of Tartaria by itself. The entire world apears to have been global at the times. And Tartaria was just one world power out of 3 or 4 covering the entire map. This can be seen on multiple older maps. Though it appears that Tartaria survived for much longer than the other ones

But all this global world, based on the spread of architecture alone appears to have been on the same sheet of music as far as technology goes.

So that wall, the way it is described would not be able to hold anyone. Hence the only way it could have served tge purpose would be under some drastically different conditions, and with some totally differently technologically developped players. This way Gog/Magog people would have to be pretty inept to get around or over the wall.

Long way to say that I don’t know. The story is too confusing.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
This entire Great Chinese Wall saga is so hard to believe. And I do understand that the claim is that it was built over a very long period of time but...

The entire wall with all of its branches measures out to be 21,196 km (13,171 mi).

Earth diameter is 7,917 miles.

There is something we do not know there.

PrincepAugus

Reactions
This entire Great Chinese Wall saga is so hard to believe. And I do understand that the claim is that it was built over a very long period of time but...

The entire wall with all of its branches measures out to be 21,196 km (13,171 mi).

Earth diameter is 7,917 miles.

There is something we do not know there.
Well I guess you can input that many miles if the walls are all concentrated in one area. Like for example your small intestine, if laid out, would be a long as a bus!

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
LOL. Not sure this fits the profile here.

The volume of work is still the same, and the wall is not concentrated in one spot.

This is one of those instances where an opinion of a construction person would provide some valuable input for us all.

PrincepAugus

Reactions
Indeed. Unfortunately I'm no expert on anything but computers and Youtube/book education lol.

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
I'll get to it, I haven't dug into the wall yet, but it's on my list. I was glad to see a thread made about it. Earthworks are not my specialty. It is miraculous that Marco Polo never mentioned such an impressive construction that can be seen from space (If space exists. Disclaimer to prevent thread drift).

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I don’t know true or not, but there is some info out there, that at least parts of the wall face south, which would make no sense.

humanoidlord

Reactions
and guess what: there are pictures that depict the great wall of china with no trees around it

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
The wall is way too long. To be fair, there have to be photographs of the same locations presented, back then and now. We have plenty of the Wall today with no trees around it.

CDEC2A24-9CA3-4D88-9C1A-446E95B4845C.jpeg