The Great Seal of the State of California: Horned Creature and the War Goddess

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
What does the United States have to do with the Ancient Roman Empire? Allegedly there should be 2,000 years of time difference between the two. Today we do not see any new statues honoring Ancient Roman Gods being erected, than why were they so infatuated with the Ancient Rome 150 years ago? Why?

I just stumbled into the Great Seal of the State of California. It was adopted at the California state Constitutional Convention of 1849 and has undergone minor design changes since then, the last being the standardization of the seal in 1937.

The Seal incorporates the Goddess of War Minerva aka Athena, and
  • The seal shows the Roman goddess Minerva aka Athena , the goddess of wisdom and war, because she was born an adult, and California was never a territory; a California grizzly bear feeding on grape vines, representing California's wine production; a sheaf of grain, representing agriculture; a miner, representing the California Gold Rush and the mining industry; and sailing ships, representing the state's economic power. The word Eureka, meaning "I have found it", is the California state motto.
  • The original design of the seal was by U.S. Army Major Robert S. Garnett and engraved by Albert Kuner. However, because of the friction then in existence between the military and civil authorities, Garnett was unwilling to introduce the design to the constitutional convention, so convention clerk Caleb Lyon introduced it as his own design, with Garnett's approval. Garnett later became the first general to be killed in the Civil War, where he served as a Confederate general.
  • Original 1849 description, "Around the bevel of the ring are represented thirty-one stars, being the number of the States of which the Union will consist, upon the admission of California. The foreground figure represents the goddess Minerva aka Athena, having sprung full-grown from the brain of Jupiter aka Zeus. She is introduced as a type of the political birth of the State of California, without having gone through the probation of a Territory. At her feet crouches a grisly [grizzly] bear, feeding upon clusters from a grape vine, which, with the sheaf of wheat, are emblematic of the peculiar characteristics of the country. A miner is engaged at work, with a rocker and bowl at his side, illustrating the golden wealth of the Sacramento, upon whose waters are seen shipping, typical of commercial greatness; and the snow-clad peaks of the Sierra Nevada make up the back-ground. Above, is the Greek motto "Eureka," (I have found it,) applying either to the principle involved in the admission of the State, or the success of the miners at work. "
  • The Seal was adopted in 1849 (followed by minor changes in 1883, 1891, and 1937)
California Seals
Note that this artistic rendition does not include the mysterious building or show the smoke and engine identifying the two-masted vessel on the far left as a steamship. Also missing is the fifth ship, which should be seen sailing through the break in the mountains, directly at the viewer.

Seal_of_California.png

Full Size

1849 Seal the Seal of California
Seal_of_California,_1849,_Bayard_Taylor,_New_York_Weekly_Tribune,_1849-12-22,_1.jpg

Full Size

Modern Day Seal
Seal_of_California.jpg

Full Size

Whose Head?
I understand that this seal has enough weird shenanigans with mysterious buildings, ships, a "gold prospector" digging a grave, etc. But what is this honed head doing on the shield of the Goddess of War while simultaneously being a centerpiece of the Seal of the State of California?

cali_head_1_1.jpg

You can pick a Horned God of your own liking, for I have no idea which one it is. Other then that...

Welcome to California
Eureka, I found it...
minerva_1_1.jpg

KD: I have only one question. What does any of this have to do with the United States of America?

trismegistus

Reactions
Pallas Athene (or Minerva to the Romans), the goddess of wisdom, honored the owl as her sacred bird. The owl was recognized as an emblem of penetrating sight and intelligence. It was considered to be a favorable omen if an owl was spotted on the battle field or at times of crisis. The Athenian silver tetradrachm bore the owl (Athene noctua); and owls were protected and thrived in great numbers at the Acropolis of Athens (a temple dedicated to Athena).
If I had to warrant a guess, I would say that the shield is a representation of Minerva as a Horned Owl.

illuminatiSeals.jpg
Minerval Seals of the Illuminati: two of three known to still exist. P.M.C.V. stands for Per Me Caeci Vident (Through me the blind become sighted). An owl holding an opened book (signifying learning), surrounded by a Laurel wreath (a symbol of learning or graduation); Per Me Caeci Vident was a reminder to the Superiors of the class, whose responsibility it was to properly instruct the Minervals. These medallions were worn around the necks of Minerval initiates.
bohemianOwlAcropolis.jpg
Left, Athenian Owl at the Acropolis — the chief temple dedicated to Athena/Minerva — in Athens (c. 500 BC); right, an exact replica at the Bohemian Club in San Francisco, which even includes the missing beak
[The Bohemian Club's] symbol is an owl, which has been in use since the first year the Club started. The owl has come to symbolize the wisdom of life and companionship, that allows humans to struggle with and survive the cares and frustration of the world. The owl is found on all Bohemian materials from matchbook covers and doormats to the most elaborate Club publications. For $34.00 you can even own an owl-emblemed sports shirt. A forty foot concrete owl stands at the head of the lake in the Grove. This owl shrine was built in 1929 to serve as a ceremonial site for traditional Bohemian rituals and is used yearly for the Cremation of Care Ceremony.

Peter Martin Phillips, A Relative Advantage: Sociology of the San Francisco Bohemian Club (1994), p. 44
Source
Source

I hate to be the "Its the Illuminati" guy, but it actually seems like a fairly plausible explanation here. The great seal is a signal to others in the know that California has been claimed by a certain group of people, namely the Bavarian Illuminati.

Last edited:

sonoman

Reactions
KD: I have only one question. What does any of this have to do with the United States of America?
hey KD,

our concepts of city, state, citizen, civilian, civil law, etc. all originated from Rome. our system of laws basically is a combination (codification) of many ancient forms of law with Roman Law being the most prevalent.

this is all biblical,. look up the 'justinian deception' on YT for a real eye opener. 'lotus: justice for Maddly Arts' is even more comprehensive on the subject.

the matrix movie is all about this code, legal fiction [IN FICTIO] and how we are trapped in it and unwittingly acting as agents for these fictions.

for example. 'what is real?' a man or a fiction? , who created who? a maxim of Law is 'he who creates, owns'

what is a 'citizen' and who created it? is it real? what does a citizen look like? is it a creation of nature or man?

when we learn the code to this legal matrix we can then see through it, this is the deepest rabbit hole of all. the Birth Certificate is a matrix document.

is this your name Mr. Xnderson? 'My name is Neo!' Neo = New

Revelation 2:17

“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.”

Last edited:
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
It was too late last night, so I ended up doing a half-fast job on this shield. Apparently the shield of Minerva was supposed to be sporting a representation of Medusa or a Gorgon. The name of the shield was Aegis.
  • The aegis, as stated in the Iliad, is carried by Athena and Zeus, but its nature is uncertain. It had been interpreted as an animal skin or a shield, sometimes bearing the head of a Gorgon. There may be a connection with a deity named Aex or Aix, a daughter of Helios and a nurse of Zeus or alternatively a mistress of Zeus. The aegis of Athena is referred to in several places in the Iliad. "It produced a sound as from a myriad roaring dragons and was borne by Athena in battle ... and among them went bright-eyed Athene, holding the precious aegis which is ageless and immortal: a hundred tassels of pure gold hang fluttering from it, tight-woven each of them, and each the worth of a hundred oxen."
  • In Greek mythology, Medusa was a Gorgon, generally described as a winged human female with living venomous snakes in place of hair. Those who gazed upon her face would turn to stone.
  • In Greek mythology, a Gorgon is a mythical creature portrayed in ancient Greek literature. While descriptions of Gorgons vary across Greek literature and occur in the earliest examples of Greek literature, the term commonly refers to any of three sisters who had hair made of living, venomous snakes, as well as a horrifying visage that turned those who beheld her to stone. Traditionally, while two of the Gorgons were immortal, Stheno and Euryale, their sister Medusa was not and she was slain by the demigod and hero Perseus.
There were multiple depictions of this Gorgon creature, which is strange, if you get over "that's how they pictured it back then". Medusa was a Gorgon, generally described as a winged human female with living venomous snakes in place of hair.

medusa_2.jpg

Alexander the Great allegedly has Medusa depicted on his armor. Though the correct way to say it would be... he is wearing the aegis.

Alexander_the_Great_1.jpg

Below are few additional depictions of Medusa which are claimed to be very old.

Medusa
did they even know what she looked like?
640px-Gorgona_pushkin.jpg

Classical Greek depiction of Medusa from the 4th century BC

Gorgon_at_the_pediment_of_Artemis_temple_in_Corfu.jpg

An archaic Medusa

medusa_1.jpg

Medusa Mosaic

Athena, Perseus and Medusa.jpg

Athena, Perseus and Medusa

Minerva_12.jpg

Minerva

Mask_of_Gorgon_Medusa.jpg

Medusa

By 1595 Medusa
looked like this
Medusa_by_Carvaggio.jpg

And out of all of the above depictions of Medusa, the state of California somehow ended up with the below horned creature.

Seal_of_California_13.jpg

PS: Funny how the older the depiction of our Medusa gets, the more it resembles Tonatiuh, the Sun God of the Aztecs. Even the tongue detail is there.
Gorgona_aztec_sun_god_1.jpg

sonoman

Reactions
"Those who gazed upon her face would turn to stone"

AKA become 'memorialized'

contracted, written in stone/tablets/tables, it goes much deeper and darker than this but I will stop short here for now.

I realize the Law stuff I mention is probably too far out or maybe a bit scary but its very related to this stuff. not my intent to trigger anyone by sharing all this 'weird stuff' and I know it has the affect on alot of folks, I figured here the folks are more ready for this and not those 'who would even fight to protect it' (the matrix.)

LMK if you prefer I lay off all the Law stuff though KD its your show, your rules/law here. Im glad to find such a place as this but dont want to wear out any welcome by dropping law bombs and will abide by your wishes here honorably.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
This site has no such rules (as long as replies directly pertain to the original post, of course). If I can't relate to some things may be other forum members can. Naturally they would post their replies when they get to it. Just because I do not personally reply to certain things, it does not mean that something is wrong.

As far as Roman theme goes. In this case half of it is what they call Ancient Greek, and may be Etruscan as well. For me the mere city structure, and the use of the Roman law does not justify the overabundant Roman theme present in the United States. Dressing George Washington in toga in 1840 (allegedly), has to have a different meaning, in my understanding.

Some of these US State Seals are beyond understanding (or explanations provided). Here is the Colorado one.

sonoman

Reactions
thnx KD.

I see law as the glue that holds all this together myself, actually, I may not know a whole lot, but I know this to be true but just like the supreme court has its 'opinions' on the subject of law, so do I. YMMV ;-)

that George Washington in toga statue is certainly in the Baphomet style/position. havent seen that before but on par for the course

Laluna

Reactions
There's a town called eureka in Northern California with the same seal? Theres a port there. From wiki:

For nearly 300 years after 1579, European exploration of the coast of what would become northern California repeatedly missed definitively locating Humboldt Bay because of a combination of geographic features and weather conditions which concealed the narrow bay entrance from view. Despite a well-documented 1806 sighting by Russian explorers, the bay was not definitively known by Europeans until an 1849 overland exploration provided a reliable accounting of the exact location of what is the second largest bay in California.[30] The timing of this discovery led to the May 13, 1850, founding of the settlement of Eureka on its shore by the Union and Mendocino Exploring (development) companies.[31]

The Russian explorers or y'alls "tartars"?

See wiki article on "Fort Ross" explaining Russian settlement in California. And the Russian American company Russian-American Company - Wikipedia

The company's flag has the double headed bird.Double-headed eagle: its meaning and origins

Attachments

Last edited:

BrokenAgate

Reactions
Either Minerva was a giantess, or else she bred mini-bears as pets.

sonoman

Reactions
this medusa and 'turned to stone' myth lead me to dig deeper. Petrifaction in mythology and fiction - Wikipedia
Petrification is associated with the legends of Medusa, the basilisk, the Svartálfar and the cockatrice
the basilisk link above is two most interesting images, a state seal from 1295 and a snake eating a man images that anyone who is familiar with the italian auto manufacturer Alfa Romeo will immediately recognize:

500px-IMG_3734_-_Milano_-_Stemma_visconteo-_sull'Arcivescovado_-_Foto_di_Giovanni_Dall'Orto_-_...jpg

another Italian/Venician connection..

I also noticed that a couple of the depictions of medusa in KDs second post clearly show the two entwined snakes as you see them on the caduceus Caduceus - Wikipedia which ties in the astrological symbol for mercury. !

medusa & caduceus dus/duc. hmmm..

I mentioned my personal 'turned to stone' interpretation already but only the 3D to 2D memorialization, it think this also works 4D to 3D 'as above, so below' to trap the spirit into the flesh. 0.0 yeah, way too deep for this thread but had to mention it.

Magnetic

Reactions
The Medusa is a highly energetic plasmoid which like those toy plasma balls have snake like plasma forces that if struck are so powerful that the persons body is instantly transmuted to stone. There must have been some benefits to a highly charged environment but the Medusa is a bad mother.

tupperaware

Reactions
The Medusa is a highly energetic plasmoid which like those toy plasma balls have snake like plasma forces that if struck are so powerful that the persons body is instantly transmuted to stone. There must have been some benefits to a highly charged environment but the Medusa is a bad mother.
You did bring up "Medusa".

Perhaps the Medusa myth originated from
1546493564272.png
ancient Sumeria when the bicameral mind was in full bloom and statues like these were commonplace with the big googly eyes. "Look into my eyes" says the hypnotist of years past - don't think they say that anymore. Turning to stone is basically the same as entering a zombie like trance state. I know, I should start a bicameral mind topic but until then just snippets here and there. This would have been 500BC or earlier so the "conventional" timing is about right for starting a snake headed Medusa myth.

Where do the snakes come from? Believe it or not some people when attempting lucid dreaming or in particular Yoga Nidra Is Meditation Dangerous? fall down a hole where "tentacular" entities invade their twilight dream state for prolonged periods of time. I read one particularly frightening account of this (many many tentacles) and promised myself I will never do Yoga Nidra unless I am sure to fail to stay awake. There are apparently monsters in our subconscious that do not normally bother us unless we stray too far from normal circadian rhythms. HP Lovecraft anybody? I have experienced just a hint of this tentacled menace when trying to stay awake for some hypnogogic imagery. On the plus side I have generated some amazing graphics like animated high resolution photo-albums when in hypnogogic mode but I digress.

Medusa originally was nothing more than the once commonplace pre 500BC googly eye statues creating an intense bicameral mind state. The word "stoned" would be an understatement for this mental configuration. My guess is entering this state would often let the "tentacled monsters" in - but not always. Maybe just a tentacular halo.

I am sure some of you have seen the TV series "Westworld". The entire plot line is based on the theory of the Bicameral Mind.

Can't resist....
"In issue three, Fall 1986 for the magazine Woman of Power an article called Gorgons: A Face for Contemporary Women's Rage, appeared, written by Emily Erwin Culpepper, who wrote that "The Amazon Gorgon face is female fury personified. The Gorgon/Medusa image has been rapidly adopted by large numbers of feminists who recognize her as one face of our own rage."[22] Griselda Pollock analyses the passage from horrorism to compassion in the figure of the Medusa through Adriana Cavarero's philosophy and Bracha Ettinger's art and Matrixial theory.[23] "
Medusa - Wikipedia

If you ever see a feminist wearing a t-shirt with a googly eyed Medusa - its too late. If you ever see a state seal with a googly eyed Medusa it will probably be California's.

Oh wait, I forgot about the owl. Owl of Athena 480-420 B.C.

1546495513536.png

sonoman

Reactions
I know, I should start a bicameral mind topic but until then just snippets here and there.
ha, yeah because more than one thread have grown into that. just yesterday we were discussing it here. Double-headed eagle: its meaning and origins

just do what I did, and start a thread with no bounds for interactive virtual explorations Etymology of Etymology?

Ive gone into this there to a bit. all this written stuff is hearsay though and I think until we can balance our R&L hemispheres, we are only half assing our semiology Semiotics - Wikipedia and TPTB will just continue to divide us (in more ways than one)

I think its tougher for us that are into coding and other logics but if/when the hard logic types do achieve that balance or bicameral, as youve put/placed it (camera = chamber) it will be a higher tune than those who are opposite however those ones will I think will reach the balance easier.

the 3rd eye/pineal gland activation. astral related stuff.

tupperaware

Reactions
ha, yeah because more than one thread have grown into that. just yesterday we were discussing it here. Double-headed eagle: its meaning and origins

just do what I did, and start a thread with no bounds for interactive virtual explorations Etymology of Etymology?

Ive gone into this there to a bit. all this written stuff is hearsay though and I think until we can balance our R&L hemispheres, we are only half assing our semiology Semiotics - Wikipedia and TPTB will just continue to divide us (in more ways than one)

I think its tougher for us that are into coding and other logics but if/when the hard logic types do achieve that balance or bicameral, as youve put/placed it (camera = chamber) it will be a higher tune than those who are opposite however those ones will I think will reach the balance easier.

the 3rd eye/pineal gland activation. astral related stuff.
You are right about music. It is proven to entrain those with serious motion disorders so when the music is turned on they can get out of bed and move around - until the music stops. Studies show that some music is worthless for this and others quite good. I love Korn the band but my guess is their music would be counterproductive in this motion regards. For other motion its quite good.

Speaking of computer programming coding types, maybe those that have fantastic skills in other areas like dance, have extremely good programming skills as in ifythenelsezzzz, dowhileX>banal, yorxandznandthentwirl. But its all a deep motion grammar they can't directly access except "almost" when they are in a groove.

Speaking of motion entrainment it was recently discovered that our body motion control is not linear. Its subtly sinosoidal similar to how fishes swim. A deeper grammar yet.

sonoman

Reactions
tupperware has touched on some interesting off topic stuff. will reply to on Et of Et previously linked. KD likes to stay on topic (for good reason) I wish I had time to code a forum software just for this (with thread forks)

Verity

Reactions
hey KD,

our concepts of city, state, citizen, civilian, civil law, etc. all originated from Rome. our system of laws basically is a combination (codification) of many ancient forms of law with Roman Law being the most prevalent.

this is all biblical,. look up the 'justinian deception' on YT for a real eye opener. 'lotus: justice for Maddly Arts' is even more comprehensive on the subject.

the matrix movie is all about this code, legal fiction [IN FICTIO] and how we are trapped in it and unwittingly acting as agents for these fictions.

for example. 'what is real?' a man or a fiction? , who created who? a maxim of Law is 'he who creates, owns'

what is a 'citizen' and who created it? is it real? what does a citizen look like? is it a creation of nature or man?

when we learn the code to this legal matrix we can then see through it, this is the deepest rabbit hole of all. the Birth Certificate is a matrix document.

is this your name Mr. Xnderson? 'My name is Neo!' Neo = New

Revelation 2:17

“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.”
Have you listened to the guy who called himself 'Batman' on an old call-in radio show? He developed what he called 'The Four Cornerstones of the Law' which I memorised at the time, although I'd probably be hard-pressed to remember them now. That was years ago.. eight years ago?
Stupendously interesting information, and it ran along those lines of creation, personal responsibility, honour, codes and property rights, it was really incredibly simple, but people just didn't seem to be able to grasp the most basic fundamental principle; We own nothing, not even our name, they own everything.
'Release the psyche from as deeply held belongings/beliefs as your very name and be free.
We're here for the experience- we come with nothing, we leave with nothing. Let them have ownership of it. You're just using it while you're here.'
It's a philosophy. Black and white, very little grey.
There's the other guy, Clint Richardson I think. Different perspectives, similar messages.

My one issue with it all was- was the general gist of their (similar philosophic/legal) principle benign in greater nature? Zoomed right out, it is a cosmic principle to not collect material gain? I'm cool with that, but the alternative idea would then be; Are we dancing to a greedy or psychotic pipers(/law-makers/phoenicians) tune? And by following these non-materialistic principles are we setting ourselves up as suckers...
Still trying to figure that one out.