The Fossil Forest of Yellowstone

Ice Nine

Ok give me a minute. I think this really can illustrate a point in regard to the age of things and petrification and fossilization of wood, wood buildings too of course. And now I do wonder what the effect would be on concrete or hard stone structures. Maybe all we have to do is look at "rock cut" remains of buildings, or you know "tombs" carved into volcanic tuff and all the other megalithic oddities all over the freakin' place.
so anyway after you look at this and ponder it, just imagine how many cities or civilizations could theoretically be buried under us.

So back to Yellowstone and it's petrified trees. Yellowstone’s petrified trees occur within volcanic rocks approximately 50 million years old. They are the result of rapid burial and silicification, not volcanic eruptions per say, but the result of volcanic debris flows. Do we all know that Yellowstone is high, about 9,000 feet. I've been there it's like no other place I've ever been! Wonder what the elevation was for the first eruption, that's quite a debris flow. And apparently it has happened a lot in the last 50 million years. Or however long this all took or didn't take, it's a crap shoot on the dates I think.
Fossil Forest

NPS Yellowstone Fossils
FIG. 4.—IDEAL SECTION THROUGH 2,000 FEET OF BEDS OF SPECIMEN RIDGE, SHOWING SUCCESSION OF BURIED FOREST.

Petrified 7.jpg

Petrified 2.jpg Petrified 5.jpg
Petrified 3.jpg Petrified 6.jpg Petrified trees.jpg

This is in Arizona
Petrified Arizona.jpg

Last edited:

esgee1

Thanks for the post and images. I too visited Yellowstone, when I was a kid. I agree it is like no other place. I recall seeing the petrified trees. The geological history of that area is fascinating, and would be a marvel to have seen the evolution of the area over time. If there's anything that unnerves me is the thought of Yellowstone erupting again in our lifetime.

OP
OP
Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Thanks for the post and images. I too visited Yellowstone, when I was a kid. I agree it is like no other place. I recall seeing the petrified trees. The geological history of that area is fascinating, and would be a marvel to have seen the evolution of the area over time. If there's anything that unnerves me is the thought of Yellowstone erupting again in our lifetime.
Scares the crappola out of me as well. Hot bubbly pools of sulfur water all over the place, I had no idea until we went there just what a special place it is. We missed the Fossil Forest though because it started snowing and we had to get out of there.

This is a huge piece of wood at the ginkgo Petrified forest on the Columbia river, I took this picture a few years ago.

IMG_1364.JPG

ginkgo-petrified-forest-gingko (1).jpg

Last edited:

BStankman

Those aren't trees, those are moon rocks. :D

Fossils don't take millions of years. They can happen within a lifetime.
Ancient Fossils are Made Up or More Recent?

Still, it is good evidence that Yellowstone erupted about 20 times.
I am thinking if you start digging at White Cliffs wagon trail in Arizona, you are going to find another Cappadocia .

23.jpg 9.jpg 3.jpg 7.jpg

The Road: White Cliffs Park

OP
OP
Ice Nine

Ice Nine

White Cliffs Park, no kidding, I bet there is a buried city there too. And the" cart/wagon ruts" are a dead giveaway for me that there was something there. Those ruts are all over the Earth and they go near ancient rock cities. I think they were made during a cataclysm when somebody was going around trying to rescue survivors and get them to safety. I think we have been here for millions of years, anyway when you see the extent of the stone roads all over the place you will be surprised that they are so prevalent. I uge people to give this Russian researcher a chance, while we might not agree with his time frame, it's hard for me to find any fault with his conclusions. There were wheeled vehicles of some type driving in the soft earth or ash or whatever was going on. Reminds me of driving in sand.

Neogen (15-6 million years ago) road and track global network in Mediterranean

Stone tracks, called cart ruts (tracks left by carts or carriages) are widespread on Earth. They can be found in big numbers in Turkey (Phrygian plain, Cappadocia), Crimea (Chufut-Kale, Eski-Kermen, Bahchisaray), Spain (autonomous regions of Valencia, Murcia, Castilla La Mancha, Castilla Leon, Andalusia, Galicia, Catalonia), Malta (Malta and Gozo islands), Italy (central Italy, Sardinia, Sicily), Azerbaijan (Apsheron peninsula), Kazakhstan (Caspian sea shore). There are many of them in Mexico, USA. They are known in Germany, France, Portugal and some other countries.

Yes I've read that about how is doesn't take that long for fossils to form, I don't know what to think about it, in regards to the big trees I do know I have serious questions about why some petrified logs look like they have been cut with a chain saw.

cut logs 1.jpg cut logs 2.jpg cut logs.jpg
cut logs 3.jpg

We are rock hounds and collect petrified wood and I have some that has been mineralized and even crystalized, or agatized. then a few pieces you would think you are holding a small piece of wood and not a rock. And it has a small nick in it that look like it was made with a saw. So believe me that has given me pause for thought many times.

Last edited:

asatiger1966

White Cliffs Park, no kidding, I bet there is a buried city there too. And the" cart/wagon ruts" are a dead giveaway for me that there was something there. Those ruts are all over the Earth and they go near ancient rock cities. I think they were made during a cataclysm when somebody was going around trying to rescue survivors and get them to safety. I think we have been here for millions of years, anyway when you see the extent of the stone roads all over the place you will be surprised that they are so prevalent. I uge people to give this Russian researcher a chance, while we might not agree with his time frame, it's hard for me to find any fault with his conclusions. There were wheeled vehicles of some type driving in the soft earth or ash or whatever was going on. Reminds me of driving in sand.

Neogen (15-6 million years ago) road and track global network in Mediterranean

Stone tracks, called cart ruts (tracks left by carts or carriages) are widespread on Earth. They can be found in big numbers in Turkey (Phrygian plain, Cappadocia), Crimea (Chufut-Kale, Eski-Kermen, Bahchisaray), Spain (autonomous regions of Valencia, Murcia, Castilla La Mancha, Castilla Leon, Andalusia, Galicia, Catalonia), Malta (Malta and Gozo islands), Italy (central Italy, Sardinia, Sicily), Azerbaijan (Apsheron peninsula), Kazakhstan (Caspian sea shore). There are many of them in Mexico, USA. They are known in Germany, France, Portugal and some other countries.

Yes I've read that about how is doesn't take that long for fossils to form, I don't know what to think about it, in regards to the big trees I do know I have serious questions about why some petrified logs look like they have been cut with a chain saw.

We are rock hounds and collect petrified wood and I have some that has been mineralized and even crystalized, or agatized. then a few pieces you would think you are holding a small piece of wood and not a rock. And it has a small nick in it that look like it was made with a saw. So believe me that has given me pause for thought many times.
Yellowstone Park is indeed a special place. The military has numerous surface facilities and maybe six, DUMB's, near Yellowstone.
The military apparently sees no short term risk, or they would move the bases to a preassigned location.

Most fears , of eruptions, come from unverified information from scientists working on funded work, they are afraid to say "we do not know". The volcano may not even exist in the accepted scenario. There is a theory at the Pentagon that some volcanoes might be no more than discarded weapons sites from past civilizations. The ingredients used for those weapons we would have no knowledge.The idea that a whirling mass of dense melted rock is at the core of our planet cannot be verified.

If odd events happen at the parks support will be sent out of Mountain Home. The past civilizations upon learning of impending disaster would go into space if possible, go underground if possible, if the species had the ability to hibernate they would go that route for fear of no food for a few years.
We at this time do not have the information to evaluate past species survival methods. Its possible that a return to a pure spiritual form could work, if they are advanced enough a dimensional shift might be possible but only if their molecular makeup would allow that jump.

My thoughts

OP
OP
Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Great post @asatiger1966, the thoughts that Yellowstone could be one gurgling pot of toxic soup actually seems quite logical to me. Discarded weapons site or waste dump works for me. I think there is very little about our landscape that is anywhere near natural. We are living on a toxic waste dump and also the remain of Earth wide surface and strip mining, open pit mining and mountain top removal.

And as you said, I agree with this idea, a lot.

"The past civilizations upon learning of impending disaster would go into space if possible, go underground if possible, if the species had the ability to hibernate they would go that route for fear of no food for a few years. We at this time do not have the information to evaluate past species survival methods."
I especially like this thought, because it ties in nicely, in my mind, with the rescue mission to save people, hence the world wide evidence left by the vehicle tracks, now in stone. And it seems possible, we have evidence in stone of dinosaur tracks, why not vehicle tracks as well.

Dinosaurs tracks in stone