The Crescent Hotel, 1886: Eureka Springs, AR

trismegistus

Reactions

I've been to a lot of places in the US, and Eureka Springs is up there with the most memorable city I've ever visited (Savannah, GA is a close second). It is a sleepy town near the border of Missouri basically built right up alongside the Ozark Mountains. The entire city more or less is listed on the National Historic Register, the town as a whole seems to exude a magical elegance that is tangible. I fully believe that the existence of spring-fed caves and limestone has an effect on the body and mind, and this town is one of the best examples of this out there.
Paleoindians lived in the Eureka Springs area thousands of years ago. During the Woodland and Archaic periods, residents of the area created projectile points (often described as “arrowheads”) from the chert cobbles they found in gravel bars. By the time of the Louisiana Purchase, the Osage tribe living in southern Missouri claimed all of northern Arkansas as its hunting ground. While Osage hunting parties undoubtedly drank from the springs, no evidence exists to suggest that the Osage or other tribes considered the water of any special medicinal value. Accounts of Indian leaders sharing the water with other tribes or with white settlers have been told to visitors since the end of the nineteenth century but have no historical foundation.

When the Osage ceded northern Arkansas to the United States government in 1825, the land was open to white settlers, but the Eureka Springs area remained sparsely populated until after the Civil War. Dr. Alvah Jackson is said to have found the springs (and their reputed healing powers) in 1856, but he reportedly shared the water only locally at first.
From what I understand of Native American's mastery of nature and their environment, I find it extremely hard to believe that they considered these springs "of no medicinal value", and that it took the "superior" intellect of the white American to recognize the healing powers of the springs. But I digress, let's dig deeper into this "hotel".

From the Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture:
The Crescent Hotel was built in 1886 in Eureka Springs (Carroll County) by the Eureka Springs Investment Company, the president of which was former governor Powell Clayton. The organization purchased twenty-seven acres of wooded land for the site of the hotel and hired Isaac S. Taylor from St. Louis, Missouri, as architect for the project. The massive eighteen-inch-thick stones used for the body of the hotel were made of limestone, hand-carved from a quarry on the White River near Beaver (Carroll County) by a crew of Irish workers. These stones were hauled to the site of the hotel by trains and specially constructed wagons, and were placed in such a fashion that no mortar was needed.

The hotel boasted every modern convenience, from electricity to elevators, and was well known for its location near the springs that supposedly held healing waters. The cost for this hotel, declared America’s most opulent resort, was $294,000. The hotel opened its doors to the public on May 1, 1886, with an open house two weeks later. On May 20, a banquet was held for guest of honor James G. Blaine, the 1884 Republican presidential nominee. A gala ball was held for the 400 attendants, with Harry Barton’s orchestra entertaining, followed by a speech from Blaine.
So here we have a structure built with high technology of the time, not to mention that this was a mortar-less construction. Quite impressive, if I do say so myself. Does it not seem strange that this hotel already had electricity, considering that according to mainstream history the first power plants were built only six years previous? And these plants that were built were done in giant cities like NYC, Paris, Buffalo, etc. How did sleepy little Eureka Springs get the infrastructure so quickly to support electricity? I could possibly see it for low wattage equipment like lightbulbs, but elevators? Ostensibly, the first electric elevator in "recorded" history was in 1880, as well. Perhaps this elevator was powered by something else - - pneumatics/hydraulics or perhaps steam? It is hard to say, as there is very little information about how this technology made it into this building.

With that being said, there is an explanation that you won't find being discussed very much on these sites. Over the last few years, there does seem to be some soft disclosure in the realm of ancient structures being able to focus or possibly generate electromagnetic energy through a combination of limestone, underground aquifers, and other factors. I think it is distinctly possible that the limestone construction of this building was made to do just that - - generate electricity. This could also explain the lack of mortar, as that would likely interfere with limestone's electric properties and the possibility that any heat generated from this process could erode the mortar quite quickly. Also, note the "lightning rod" atop this building. Consider also that this building is at the very highest point in the town, it towers over everything else in the area. This would make it quite good for power distribution, if that is the case. And of course, along with the healing nature of the springs, the water underneath the rocks in the untold amount of caves in the area would make it an even better candidate for naturally generated electricity.

Now, about this architect.

Isaac S Taylor

From findagrave.com:
Architect. Born in Nashville, Tennessee to Isaac W. Taylor and Mary Stacker Taylor, his natural fondness for architectural drawing which he developed in early boyhood shaped the course of his life. After receiving a collegiate education at St. Louis University, Issac associated himself with architect George Barnett, one of the most noted architects in the West. He devoted six years to studying architecture under Mr. Barnett's instruction. At the end of that time he entered into a partnership with Mr. Barnett, resulting in the firm of Barnett & Taylor. In 1879 he severed his connection with Mr. Barnett and became one of the most accomplished and widely known architects in the United States.

In September of 1901, he was appointed Chairman of the Commission of Architects for the Louisiana Exposition Company to oversee the design of the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.

Also in September of 1901 he was also appointed to the position of Director of Works. He served in this position until the close of the Fair. He presided over the planning of all buildings and landscape works; was the organizer and director of all the professional and executive forces; was in charge of the Grounds and Buildings Committee, the letting and execution of contracts, light, power, water supplies, fire protection, sewers, intramural transportation and sanitary conditions. He formed the following departments as part of the Division of Works: Architectural, civil engineering, electrical and mechanical engineering, sculpture, landscape and mural decorating. He was known as "the man who built the fair."
If I can make a meta observation here, it seems so strange that whenever I do research on these buildings or architects from this time period it inevitably leads back to an Expo of some sort. It's like we are assembling a puzzle that fits piece by piece, but when you stand back to look at it, it is very difficult to see exactly what the image is. This type of research is frustrating - - is this really just a strange set of coincidences? With no definitive solution to what all these connected dots mean, it can seem like it really might be. Maybe it is like one giant game of six degrees of separation, in which research on this architecture will inevitably lead to a stolen history connection somewhere else just due to the smaller pool of architects back in the day. Perhaps in a few years from now, when someone else finally finds some concrete evidence of these buildings being "found" and architects merely taking credit for building them when in fact they were built by a memory-holed civilization, I can be satisfied that this research was more than just reading into strange connections.

To keep this thread in order, I will hold off on expanding on exactly what he designed for the World's Fair, but his wiki should give you a good start.

Oh Lord Jesus, its a fire!
As if you thought you could get through one of these posts without mention of a town crippling fire, here in Eureka Springs we have several examples before 1900.

From
eurekaspringsfire.org:
November 3 -A fire burned both sides of Mountain and Eureka Streets eventually spreading to over five acres and destroying seventy-five buildings. The fire starting in the Cushingberry building during the early morning hours.

November 23 -Spring Street was the focal point of another disastrous fire. A blaze started in the Hancock House and spread into the business district. In this fire the Hancock House, Hotel Silver, and more than fifty other business were destroyed along with almost 500 houses.

October -Forty-five houses, the Grand Central Hotel and the Flat Iron Building were consumed in a fire which originated at the Perry House.

Unknown -Mattock's Fire.

March 15 -A stove pipe started a fire in the Brodie Brothers business and consumed a full city block including the Western Hotel. Nearly fifty homes were destroyed in the blaze.
There is very sparse information on these blazes throughout the years, and admittedly the only reason I knew that they happened was because it was mentioned offhand on one of the historical plaques around the city.

Conclusions
There is something rather mystical about this area of the world. It is kind of hard to explain if you've never been there, but perhaps those who have can relate to this. Perhaps just being in the presence of architecture from a time when people actually gave a shit about aesthetics can create this effect, but I am inclined to believe there is quite a bit more going on here.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention the strong presence of Freemasonry here. There is a fountain on the main strip that was funded by the local Masonic lodge, and the main road that goes through the town is "adopted" by them as well. If we follow the logic sometimes used on this site that Freemasons are those who claim the "free mason" left by a previous civilization then this area is a prime example of that.

Bonus Mudflood building: Carrol County Courthouse

ScottFreeman

Reactions
I've been to a lot of places in the US, and Eureka Springs is up there with the most memorable city I've ever visited (Savannah, GA is a close second). It is a sleepy town near the border of Missouri basically built right up alongside the Ozark Mountains. The entire city more or less is listed on the National Historic Register, the town as a whole seems to exude a magical elegance that is tangible. I fully believe that the existence of spring-fed caves and limestone has an effect on the body and mind, and this town is one of the best examples of this out there.

From what I understand of Native American's mastery of nature and their environment, I find it extremely hard to believe that they considered these springs "of no medicinal value", and that it took the "superior" intellect of the white American to recognize the healing powers of the springs. But I digress, let's dig deeper into this "hotel".

From the Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture:

So here we have a structure built with high technology of the time, not to mention that this was a mortar-less construction. Quite impressive, if I do say so myself. Does it not seem strange that this hotel already had electricity, considering that according to mainstream history the first power plants were built only six years previous? And these plants that were built were done in giant cities like NYC, Paris, Buffalo, etc. How did sleepy little Eureka Springs get the infrastructure so quickly to support electricity? I could possibly see it for low wattage equipment like lightbulbs, but elevators? Ostensibly, the first electric elevator in "recorded" history was in 1880, as well. Perhaps this elevator was powered by something else - - pneumatics/hydraulics or perhaps steam? It is hard to say, as there is very little information about how this technology made it into this building.

With that being said, there is an explanation that you won't find being discussed very much on these sites. Over the last few years, there does seem to be some soft disclosure in the realm of ancient structures being able to focus or possibly generate electromagnetic energy through a combination of limestone, underground aquifers, and other factors. I think it is distinctly possible that the limestone construction of this building was made to do just that - - generate electricity. This could also explain the lack of mortar, as that would likely interfere with limestone's electric properties and the possibility that any heat generated from this process could erode the mortar quite quickly. Also, note the "lightning rod" atop this building. Consider also that this building is at the very highest point in the town, it towers over everything else in the area. This would make it quite good for power distribution, if that is the case. And of course, along with the healing nature of the springs, the water underneath the rocks in the untold amount of caves in the area would make it an even better candidate for naturally generated electricity.

Now, about this architect.

Isaac S Taylor
View attachment 18455

From findagrave.com:

If I can make a meta observation here, it seems so strange that whenever I do research on these buildings or architects from this time period it inevitably leads back to an Expo of some sort. It's like we are assembling a puzzle that fits piece by piece, but when you stand back to look at it, it is very difficult to see exactly what the image is. This type of research is frustrating - - is this really just a strange set of coincidences? With no definitive solution to what all these connected dots mean, it can seem like it really might be. Maybe it is like one giant game of six degrees of separation, in which research on this architecture will inevitably lead to a stolen history connection somewhere else just due to the smaller pool of architects back in the day. Perhaps in a few years from now, when someone else finally finds some concrete evidence of these buildings being "found" and architects merely taking credit for building them when in fact they were built by a memory-holed civilization, I can be satisfied that this research was more than just reading into strange connections.

To keep this thread in order, I will hold off on expanding on exactly what he designed for the World's Fair, but his wiki should give you a good start.

Oh Lord Jesus, its a fire!
As if you thought you could get through one of these posts without mention of a town crippling fire, here in Eureka Springs we have several examples before 1900.

From
eurekaspringsfire.org:

There is very sparse information on these blazes throughout the years, and admittedly the only reason I knew that they happened was because it was mentioned offhand on one of the historical plaques around the city.

Conclusions
There is something rather mystical about this area of the world. It is kind of hard to explain if you've never been there, but perhaps those who have can relate to this. Perhaps just being in the presence of architecture from a time when people actually gave a shit about aesthetics can create this effect, but I am inclined to believe there is quite a bit more going on here.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention the strong presence of Freemasonry here. There is a fountain on the main strip that was funded by the local Masonic lodge, and the main road that goes through the town is "adopted" by them as well. If we follow the logic sometimes used on this site that Freemasons are those who claim the "free mason" left by a previous civilization then this area is a prime example of that.

Those last photos look a little like my hometown.

And, nice work squeezing an Eddie Murphy quote in there 😏

Last edited:

BrokenAgate

Reactions
Those stairs look exhausting. If I am not the first to make this comment, let me know but, the architect who designed this building was an idiot.
Stairs, stairs, and more stairs. Stairs going up, stairs going underground. Were architects too stupid to put the main entrance at ground level, where normal humans could reach it easily?? I guess they didn't have people in wheelchairs back then, or elderly or infirm people, who needed to gain access to these churches and offices.

ScottFreeman

Reactions
Stairs, stairs, and more stairs. Stairs going up, stairs going underground. Were architects too stupid to put the main entrance at ground level, where normal humans could reach it easily?? I guess they didn't have people in wheelchairs back then, or elderly or infirm people, who needed to gain access to these churches and offices.
good point!

jd755

Reactions
Stairs on the courthouse are 'the just' going 'up' as into 'heaven' up from either side of the road level and those going down directly 'under the just' are the crims descending into hell to be 'judged by the just' who have just entered heaven to 'sit in judgement' on the 'lesser beings'.

Courts are religious buildings. Why do you think judges sit higher 'up' than anyone else and all manner of 'religious leaders' sit or stand above 'the unchosen ones' For religious symbolism to be effective it has to get its 'man' closer to 'heaven aka god' than every bugger else which tells anyone half awake 'heaven' isn't to be found 'above one's head' or in 'religious author ity'.

Elancan

Reactions
There was one long staircase going up, and another even longer going down. And one more going nowhere, just for show. Fiddler on the Roof

wizz33

Reactions
i think it was the entrance for the personal ani-gravity vehicles, skateboard, ect