Taking a little field trip... have identified a few potential stops

Kansas

Reactions
Every few months I take little work trips across Kansas... next trip I’ve decided to build-in an extra day to check out some sites which may tie-in to this board. I found this interesting list of historical churches in the state and think I’ll try to check out a few in person. Beautiful & Historic Kansas Churches & Shrines

I was wondering if any of you think any of these buildings in the link look like they’re worth investigating in terms of mud-flood evidence? (this is the region of the “dust bowl” of the “20th century”... could the frequent dust storms been caused by silt/deposits from a massive flood which killed plants and left nothing to hold the soil in place when drought hit?) most of these buildings allegedly went up in the mid-late 1800s in an area of the country which to this day is only sparsely populated. With the exceptions of Wichita and Topeka (and Lenexa which is a KC suburb) these towns are very much like Andy Griffith’s Mayberry to this day.

I’ll be looking into other historic buildings across the region to see if there are other candidates but I just kind of stumbled on this list and figured it could be a jumping-off point. Anything catch your eye?

Starmonkey

Reactions
Definitely some contenders there. Older ones for sure. Guessing closer to SL and big rivers would be rewarding. St George Serbian Orthodox looks interesting. Especially with weird old Russian Orthodox ties. Little black Jesus...
I guess look for the bigger stones and dates. Worth checking out local libraries in older towns or colleges for flood stories or immigrant or migration news.

OP
K

Kansas

Reactions
St george is a modern building... 2 previous buildings housed the congregation (on other sites a few miles north of this location) - History - they seem to have a lot of eastern european chrisitian artifacts though... unique in the area as this ethnogroup historically represents a small minority in the region according to the official narrative. - the inside of this place will be far more interesting than the outside

Starmonkey

Reactions
Hm. The iconography looks intriguing though...
City records in older burgs might be worth looking at.
Bigger rivers or similar more likely to have flood history.
Have you looked at GE or topographic maps? Might show washout basins... No mountains out there, but higher water sheds than here in mountain land.
Also evidence of older European or Asian settlements or communities.
Happy hunting! Enjoy the road!

OP
K

Kansas

Reactions
Have you looked at GE or topographic maps? Might show washout basins... No mountains out there, but higher water sheds than here in mountain land.
These are some excellent ideas! Particularly the topographic maps! Down the rabbithole we go!
Post automatically merged:

You got my gears turning with the topography... i started looking at the reservoirs and remebered tales of submerged cities with the construction of the dams. Do you think the army corps of engineers had a mission to submerge certain historical sites under the guise of protecting populations downstream?

Last edited:

Starmonkey

Reactions
I'm sure. Though most regular people don't know any better.
Intentional? Only on the most submerged level.
Coincidence? Not really. People have always set up shop next to the coasts or major waterways. Travel and business.
We have layers and layers to "dig through".
But, same as panning for gold, things wash out through the waterways. Head downstream... SLIDE