Staff at the 1904 Louisiana Exposition

jd755

Reactions
I was going to drop a picture of staff decorations into the upcoming post on the inventions that were or weren't there at the exposition on this thread
Steam power at St Louis Exposition 1904
but frankly there is too much to choose from so here is my pick of the evidence for staff being used at the expo, which in turn suggests that the buildings were indeed of timber construction, as bizarre as that sounds to those alive today, put up by skilled and unskilled labour using machines powered by steam, horse and cart, men using hand tools and made to appear to be of stone construction and decoration.
Wood is also used for the copious amounts of scaffolding, for the numerous train track sleepers, piles, in fact pretty much everything that isn't metal, glass or actual stone including the staff moulds and the aramtures.
There is of course no way to date these images, none whatsoever but I have yet to find any 'fiddling about' in the images so they seem to be authentic and of the time, whenever that time was.

It was in essence a huge stage set that actually existed for two or three years prior in an increasing order of scale, not just the few months the finished Exposition site was open to the public.

When I look at these pictures it really does beg the question how much of what we are told is ancient structures, sculptures, decorations etc is nothing more than various recipes of staff knocked up as and when needed and the imaginings of the Beaux Arts school in France and the people who were/are taught there.

Eagles and vases and check out the ladies hats and blouses in the left background are they 1902/3/4 vintage?
eagles.jpg

Easy to make the big one when you have a small one to scale off of. Makes me wonder why we need computers and 3d printers, could it be we have been made to accept 'dumb' we can no longer work this stuff out for ourselves?
easyreally.jpg

Three columns or rather half columns lying in the shade of the trees and check out the amount of panels, corbels, lintels etc in the background and the rail cars are a handy reference for the scale of these things.
giantstaff.jpg

For those who still feel these buildings were dug out or that they could survive being buried look away now. There in that one photograph is the structure of what will appear as stone going up. Staff panels on timber which in turn is on a structural timber framework.
goingup.jpg

No idea how tall this bloke is but look at the size of the panel and once again the smaller panel used for scaling to the right. Are these skills all but non existent today, human skills and yet we marvel at a computer controlled printing machine knocking out a plastic component/toy/ornament in 3D, something is very wrong with contemporary society.
massive.jpg

For example could we make these wooden moulds today?
I'm sure some people could, these skills must survive somewhere but not sure many would want to bother learning and of course the evil of commerce means a human cannot compete with a machine as the machine doesn't take a wage, so human labour is a cost where as machine labour is a profit. Who dreamt up buying and selling and perhap more importantly why?
moulding.jpg

Just made as evidenced by the cover of pilaster but my god look at the detail. The skill of the mould maker is awesome.
moulding2.jpg

Is the bloke craning his neck saying "Bloody hell she's massive."?
Humans always make things that are massive but and to me this is the but that makes difference, they are always within the human scale even though they are scaled up. So these huge sculptures four or five times bigger than the men in the picture still have the human proportions to them.
sheisbig.jpg

Scratching the itch. A true giant but made of clay over an armature presumably by the bloke in the photo. Look at the scale of the support timber, its massive yet once again in perfect human proportion.
scratch.jpg

And smile! Look at it all. The background has everything, panles, corbles, freplaces, lintels, friezes etc stood out to dry. The production of staff was impressive to say the least. Again is the mens dress of the age?
smile.jpg

This is fantastic. Sliding a fake stone block aka staff panel into place, the men doing it, the underpinning of a lath and render base probably a cement render base as its the bit in contact with the ground, wooden scaffolding, a good view of just how effective fakery is.
staffpanels.jpg

And finally just how much timber went into this thing truly boggles my mind. Then pondering how many trees went into it boggles it further. Then how much land was deforested to supply the timber boggles it even further. Then how much tree coverage was there on the American land mass boggle it beyond knowing. Mud flood by deforestation is not a guess, not a myth, its an actual event. The changing of the climate by deforestation is an event and one whose impact as far as I can tell has ever been studied for the change it brings about in the human. Scary shit and no mistake.
scaffolding.jpg

Ice Nine

Reactions
Excellent! @jd755

I'll just quote this one of the many good ideas of yours.

"And finally just how much timber went into this thing truly boggles my mind. Then pondering how many trees went into it boggles it further. Then how much land was deforested to supply the timber boggles it even further. Then how much tree coverage was there on the American land mass boggle it beyond knowing. Mud flood by deforestation is not a guess, not a myth, its an actual event. The changing of the climate by deforestation is an event and one whose impact as far as I can tell has ever been studied for the change it brings about in the human. Scary shit and no mistake."

Plus I already believe by the time we were doing that stuff, Earth had already been mined and logged in antediluvian times. So humans continued with the deforestation removing what had managed to grow back.

From all the photos you supplied, our ancestors where clearly better craftsman than we are today. We have to rely more and more on machines to do everything for us. And to me that is scary shit too.

I've never thought the Expositions were dug out and also can't wrap my head around the notion that these were pre existing "old world" buildings. I think the pictures you supplied for us are a real eye opener. The certainly don't look faked or photoshopped.
What I think were dug out are the places like Petra, cave towns etc. And they go back much further in time than Exposition buildings.

Much food for thought after seeing these pictures.

anotherlayer

Reactions
Just to throw sticks on the fire, this was a shot from the 1901 Pan-Am which shows the exact style used in the 1904 expo. The pictures you have posted for the 1904 are pretty identical to the construction set of photos for the 1901 Pan-Am. I am pretty sure these photos exist for all of these expos, we just need to do the leg work.

We built this stuff. It was 100 years ago.

pan_am_staff.jpg

And a ladies hat reference from 3 years earlier at the Pan-Am. They seem consistent.

pan-am-women.png

Last edited: