Who is depicted on the Minin and Pozharsky pedestal bas-relief?

I'm currently working on a separate article. This thing kind of came up in the process. It's been bugging me for a while, because I might have an idea of what kind of baloney could be up. Anyways, here is what we have.

Monument to Minin and Pozharsky
The Monument to Minin and Pozharsky is a bronze statue designed by Ivan Martos and located on the Red Square in Moscow, Russia, in front of Saint Basil's Cathedral. The statue commemorates Prince Dmitry Pozharsky and Kuzma Minin, who gathered an all-Russian volunteer army and expelled the forces of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth under the command of King Sigismund III of Poland from Moscow, thus putting an end to the Time of Troubles in 1612.

Monument_to_Minin_and_Pozharsky.jpg
  • Minin: died in 1616
  • Pozharsky: died in 1642
  • Time of Troubles: 1598-1612
The monument was conceived to commemorate the 200th anniversary of those events.
  • The competition for the best design was won by the celebrated sculptor Ivan Martos in 1808.
  • Martos completed a model, which was approved in 1813.
  • Casting work using 500 kilograms (1,100 lb) of copper was carried out in 1816 in St Petersburg.
  • The base, made of three massive blocks of granite from Finland, was also carved at St Petersburg.
  • However, in the wake of Napoleon's invasion of Russia, the monument could not be unveiled until 1818.
Front: The front of the base carries a bronze plaque depicting a scene of patriotic citizens sacrificing their property for the benefit of the motherland.

front.jpg

Back: Google translated. A battle scene is depicted on the reverse side of the pedestal.
  • The bas-relief is dedicated to the victory of the people's militias led by Prince Pozharsky.
  • The plot is also divided into two parts.
  • On the left, the Poles fleeing from Moscow, looking with horror at the victors, on the right Pozharsky, leading the brave warriors, tramples on horseback and drives the enemy away with a sword.
mp-2.jpg

I can ignore the pagan Medusa on the shield. But what are we gonna do with Mr. Pozharsky in 1612 wearing a helmet looking way too similar to the one worn by Alexander Nevsky or Tsar Michael the First?
  • or by both...
  • or by neither...
The Jericho Helmet
Well, there is thi narrative, but it still does not explain why Pozharsky has a similar one on. The helmet was crafted in 1621 by Nikita Davydov for Michael I, the king of Moscovia. It was used as a parade attribute to Michael's dress. After Moscovia has been renamed to Russian Empire, the helmet was depicted on coat of arms of the Russian Empire.

helmet-x.jpg

Nowadays, the helmet is stored in Kremlin Armoury and treated as one of its most valued artifacts.
h2.jpg

A gentleman in the article below did a semi-decent speculative job of "proving" why this helmet could never belong to Alexander Nevsky:
Somehow he forgot to verify his claims with Fedor Solntsev.
  • Fedor Grigoryevich Solntsev was a Russian painter and historian of art.
    • 1801-1892
  • His artwork was a major contribution in recording and preserving medieval Russian culture, which was a common subject of his paintings.
  • He was the main author of the fundamental work Antiquities of the Russian State, the main decorator of interiors of the Grand Kremlin Palace in Moscow.
It appears that Mr. Solntsev insisted on the helmet belonging to Alexander Nevsky.

Helmet of Alexander Nevsky, 1840s.
HT1502.jpg

Source

HT1500.jpg

Source

hm3.jpg

Source
For whatever reason, my google translate stopped working, but from what I can deduce, the narrative also wants us to think that this helmet did not belong to Alexander Nevsky.
Three Crowns
This particular helmet has three distinctive crowns. It is the only helmet to have those. On the bas-relief we can clearly see one of those crowns. Naturally, what we have is a helmet that was not even made yet, placed on a head of a person who could not have it on, even if the helmet did exist in 1612.

mp-22.jpg

Below you can see one of the helmets depicted on the Alexander Column pedestal. I was unable to exactly figure out what's where, but here is what we have:
  • The pedestal of the Alexander Column is decorated with symbols of military glory, sculpted by Giovanni Battista Scotti.
  • On the side of the pedestal facing the Winter Palace is a bas-relief depicting winged figures holding up a plaque bearing the words "To Alexander I from a grateful Russia".
  • The composition includes figures representing the Neman and Vistula rivers that were associated with the events of the Patriotic War.
  • Flanking these figures are depictions of old Russian armour - the shield of Prince Oleg of Novgorod, the helmet of Alexander Nevsky, the breastplate of Emperor Alexander I, the chainmail of Yermak Timofeyevich and other pieces recalling heroes whose martial feats brought glory to Russia.
  • Source
helmet-1.jpg

Source
Who could this helmet belong to, Alexander Nevsky or Tsar Michael?
And while the below Soviet military award has no crowns on the helmet, sounds like Alexander Nevsky trumps Tsar Michael.

nevsky1.jpg

Which Alexander I?
The Alexander Column also known as Alexandrian Column, is the focal point of Palace Square in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The monument was raised after the Russian victory in the war with Napoleon's France. The column is named for Emperor Alexander I of Russia, who reigned from 1801–25.
  • Below we have all four sides of the pedestal.
  • Question: what does any of this have to do with the war of 1812?
Essentially, which Alexander I are we dealing with here?
ALEXANDER I NEV YAROSLAVICH.jpg

Source
SH Related Article: Fake history of Alexander Column in Saint Petersburg

The Three Crowns
There are three distinctive crowns on the helmet. There are not too many coats of arms out there sporting three crowns on. One of the most obvious would be the coat of arms of Sweden.
Meanwhile, outside of the narrative we have the following:

King Arthur
arthur-1.jpg

Source

King_Arthur.jpg

Source

nine_worthies_Arthur.jpg

Source

King Pharamond
pharamond.jpg

Source

Pharamond, also spelled Faramund, is a legendary early king of the Franks, first referred to in the anonymous 8th-century Liber Historiae Francorum, which depicts him as the first king of the Franks.
pharamond2.jpg

Some food for thought: Ferdinand of Tyrol in Hungarian Tournament attire.

fer.jpg

KD: I do not know who exactly we have wearing the helmet, but I doubt it was Pozharsky.
  • Whoever did the bas-relief, made sure to depict a visible from that angle crown on the helmet. Sounds like this element was important.
  • Any thoughts?
hm3-1.jpg

P.S. Them historical doubles and triples don't make it easy on us... and the time line is all screwed up.
  • By the way, do we have any coins issued during the reign of Alexander I where his head is depicted on the obverse?

I looked up in the Letter and I found many names against of King Sigismund III of Poland because he was mentioned so many times but no word of these two guys that I wonder if they were real.
They do meant a "Michael Feodorowitz" but it is so hard to read.

I definitely cannot read that. The book was published in 1817. I think all the narrative compliant adjustments are already in place.

Now, that's a bit offtopic, but I could not help it. That's quite a pyramid we see on the title page. Do we know what city is depicted on the engraving? That "bl. 152" below the image could be pointing to a page or something like that...

pyramid.jpg

Here is this helmet as a part of the monument composition.

mnp-helmet.jpeg

Question: What's wrong with this picture?
  • Celebration for the Coronation of Tsar Nicolas II.
  • Arrival of the Cortege in Red Square, from Le Petit Journal, 31st May 1896 (coloured engraving) by Meyer, Henri (1844-99);
Minin-and-P.jpg

This stuff they have... Jericho helmets, Scythian caps, sandals, no stirrups, Aegis shields... it's like taken out of some Biblical scene, like I don't know...
Joshua 24:13 - And I have given you a land for which ye did not labour, and cities which ye built not, and ye dwell in them; of the vineyards and oliveyards which ye planted not do ye eat.

br.jpg

Can I speculate? It is as though these dudes with helmets were imperial storm troopers-- getting radio signals beamed into their brains by the controller class. The message: subdue the pagans; replace them with Kagans. Good grief, has anything changed?

I never really gave it a second thought but this is the medieval Knights Hall in the
Hague, it is like the Dutch version of Capitol hill. But even historians are puzzled about this +/- 800 year old building.
Arrival of the Cortege
Again off topic but I am baffled with this painting
Wilhelmina (direct descendant of the Romanov) received this golden coach in 1898 from Amsterdam citizens 🤔
Both designed by a different Nicholas 🤔🤔
But the Russian one, last used in 1896 seems missing, only a miniature is left.
They erase or rewrite Russian history from Europe.

Keep thinking about them Three Crowns. This is probably where they came from, but that remains to be verified.
coa.jpg

Note: Whoever knows what it says, please share the translation.
mp.jpg
Why do the two facing forwards men he is chasing have hands clasped to invisible weapons?
It does look like whatever weapons they were holding got removed, doesn't it?

The Monument to Minin and Pozharsky was unveiled in 1818.

Polish-Muscovite War (1605–18)
The Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815)

Apparently these are Sipahi helmets.
  • Sipahi were professional cavalrymen deployed by the Seljuks, and later two types of Ottoman cavalry corps, including the fief-holding provincial timarli sipahi, which constituted most of the army, and the regular kapikulu sipahi, palace troops.
  • Other types of cavalry which were not regarded sipahi were the irregular akıncı ("raiders").
  • The sipahi formed their own distinctive social classes, and were notably in rivalry with the Janissaries, the elite corps of the Sultan.
  • Sipahi - Wikipedia
This helmet was forged from watered steel and decorated in gold with arabesques and Koranic inscriptions. It is very similar to one now in the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, made about 1560 for a grand vizier of the Ottoman sultan Süleyman the Magnificent (reigned 1520–66). Both helmets presumably were made in one of the imperial workshops, possibly in Istanbul. Although this helmet is a practical military object, judging from its fine materials and ornamentation, it must have been created primarily as part of a parade armor and as a symbol of rank.
Sipahi helmet.jpg

KD: Checkout them Dacian soldiers. These are depicted on the Trajan's Column.

trj.jpg

I downloaded the image and opened it in nomacs image editing program. I inverted it and zoomed in and then took a screenshot.

Screenshot_2021-06-25_08-34-18.jpg

The man facing the main man has sword hanging from his belt which together with the grip of his right hand is suggestive that it once held a spear. The chap behind him is holding a spear as is the other chap in the background to his right. The other man with aright hand gripping something is harder to discern but clearly from the rest of the content and the shape of the grip sword is my favourite.
The boss on the shield is of ahead which looks to be wearing a laurel wreath 'crown'.
"What have the Romans ever done for us!" to quote a phrase.

It may be nothing but I notice that every man depicted in these panels is right handed.

This post is just fascinating!

Regarding Pharamond, could this have been related tothe biblical “Pharaoh”?

“Pharamond, also spelled Faramund, is a legendary early king of the Franks, first referred to in the anonymous 8th-century Liber Historiae Francorum, which depicts him as the first king of the Franks.“
pharamond2.jpg

The main things that are blowing my mind, however, the panels on the Alexander Column.
The Alexander Column also known as Alexandrian Column, is the focal point of Palace Square in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The monument was raised after the Russian victory in the war with Napoleon's France. The column is named for Emperor Alexander I of Russia, who reigned from 1801–25.
What it really looks like to me, is a depiction of two godlike figures tallying up the spoils of their wars and destructions. The heap of armor and spoils just grows and grows. It’s quite creepy.

This panel, especially, with the broken fasces and romanesque/tartarian columns says great deluge/mudflood.

DC58007E-88BA-4755-A64E-648C488AB492.jpg

Maybe these are documenting various resets and spoils? This kind of stuff does make me wonder if we are in some kind of video game simulation, and SH members are starting to see the moving parts. How are these panels any different than the end screen of a videogame tallying up kills?

Love it, thanks for another fascinating post @KorbenDallas

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link to a higher resolution image of the panel with the man on the pony as I cannot for the life of me figure out of the shield on his 'team' features a father and son or mother and son.
Seems to me these two shields are the 'team logo' so too speak.

Does anyone have a link to a higher resolution image of the panel with the man on the pony as I cannot for the life of me figure out of the shield on his 'team' features a father and son or mother and son.
There you go.

monument-1.jpg

Any pointers to your quest in there
Appears to be the narrative. One of the blog members sent me this Russian video. The pedestal is hollow. This fact contradicts the narrative.
  • As far a I understand, the entrance is underneath the helmet.
cavity.jpg

Why would they lie about something like this?

Check for Philip II of Macedon and see if he has something with the sitting personage of this memorial. You can take some information about it from this russian video (delete the link if not allowed).

Whoever knows what's written there, please share the translation.
On the monument: Citizen Minin and Prince Pozharsky grateful Russia 1818

Below is a conversation between illiterate peasants, one explaining to the other what the characters are.

Back