Square cannon: what kind of cannon is that?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Who knows what kind of projectile was used for this cannon? Bricks? I understand that the official version would probably say that some sort of fragmentation was used, but older cannons have something to them.

Square_cannon_1.jpg

Square_cannon_2.jpg

What about this one?
cannon_weird_1.jpg

I’ve been thinking about a serious thread on cannons, for I think some of them could be something else. Hopefully will get to it one day.

Yergen

Reactions
Uhh, what the heck?!

That isn't aerodynamic, i wonder what the projectile was or if it even was a cannon.

Monkwee

Reactions
Maybe that last one would project some sort of acid or other types of fluid?

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
Second one I think is decommissioned. Welded shut so it can't be "accidentally" used. Maybe holes so it can be looked into?

Square one could be a close range deck gun or mortar of some kind?

BStankman

Reactions

This reminds me of that pic we were trying to figure out if it was a missile, drain pipe, giant salt shaker or what.
The kind of cannon that makes a lot of smoke but no one gets hurt. For the lady war reinactors. :D

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Been looking into cannons recently. Some things are pretty fascinating. I have something to write about first, and then there might be a few paragraphs about cannons.

Veritas

Reactions
Old weaponry brings many questions alright I found a russian site where a fellow posted some interesting views on old weapons. it is in russian so I will post original link you can use google to translate, translation can be messy in places. Take a look see what you think. Бомба для Председателя

whitewave

Reactions
There's writing on the side of that thing. Can anyone make out what is says? To my aged eyes it looks like a date of 1608. Then again, it may be a signature of Cat Stevens. :) Seriously, I can't read it. Younger eyes maybe could help?

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
gun that shoots square bullets
Puckle gun - Wikipedia

What about that weapon says "square bullets"? Puckle is a regular round cross section projectile.

I can't read that writing on the cannon. Could be just about anything. Maybe something that would be meaningful to the person tasked with firing it. We stamp date codes into high pressure cylinders when they are hydro tested, perhaps something along those lines.