Spooky costumes - early 1900s

alyxy

Reactions
tumblr_p8ia8iVFXx1rppeeoo1_1280.jpg
Glasgow School of Art, glass plate negative showing a performance by students in costume. Early 1900’s [X]

Who are these spooky dudes supposed to be? It's such a creepy picture! The weird masks, the dark religious-themed costumes...I ran across this a couple of weeks ago and I'm still wondering about it!

Obertryn

Reactions
Good to know that art students have always been edgy as hell. A bigger cesspit of the weirdest and most messed-up shit on Earth than the arts you will not find in this world.

That being said, I am not really of the opinion that anything is...unusual here, aside from just being unsettling. It might be more helpful if you could find what performance this was for as a start.

esgee1

Reactions
To add more perspective, these art students didn't grow up on TV or movies, as these didn't exist then like they do now. So their inspiration came from books like Grimms' Fairy Tales (first published in 1812) which contained stories that were disturbing and scary, etc (and by today's standards be unsuitable for children). This is before such tales became "Disney-fied" for later generations of children.

There's been centuries of Anti-Catholicism resentment towards the Roman Catholic Church and the overreaching power of the Pope in Great Britain/Scotland where Glasgow is located. You can read more about it here. So I don't find it too surprising there's religious overtones in the photo as the hats look similar in shape to those worn by Catholic bishops, but turned black instead of white. It still goes on in "art" today as a political statement.

Thanks for sharing the interesting photo. Cheers! 🍻

Verity

Reactions
To add more perspective, these art students didn't grow up on TV or movies, as these didn't exist then like they do now. So their inspiration came from books like Grimms' Fairy Tales (first published in 1812) which contained stories that were disturbing and scary, etc (and by today's standards be unsuitable for children). This is before such tales became "Disney-fied" for later generations of children.

There's been centuries of Anti-Catholicism resentment towards the Roman Catholic Church and the overreaching power of the Pope in Great Britain/Scotland where Glasgow is located. You can read more about it here. So I don't find it too surprising there's religious overtones in the photo as the hats look similar in shape to those worn by Catholic bishops, but turned black instead of white. It still goes on in "art" today as a political statement.

Thanks for sharing the interesting photo. Cheers! 🍻
Just what I was thinking. They look like catholic bishops stealing a pagan spring maiden.

OP
A

alyxy

Reactions
Yes, I see. It was probably as clearly and loudly as they were allowed to say, "They're not who they seem to be. It's all masks. They steal innocence. They're predators."

I mean, they probably weren't allowed to come right out and say, "Hey guys, way too many priests rape children! Also the church is completely willing to cover it up and consider it part of doing business."

:mad: :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Tartary a.k.a. Tartaria 10