Spires in 1884 Washington DC. Atmospheric Electricity?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Atmospheric Electricity?
I will believe this one when I see it, but what kind of decorations are these? You can clearly see wires attached to the rods on the railing. The Radio was not out until 1895. This is 1884. Lightning rods on the safety railing? Probably not. Than what are those? Those two vases next to the railing look familiar to some, I bet. We see them next to ancient fireplaces a lot.

allegedly 1884
washington-monument-33_11.jpg

And what do you think this little thing is?

washington-monument-33_14.jpg

The above was extracted from: Norumbega: Washington Monument and the Roman Empire. Took it out to see if we can figure out what those spires with wires are.

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
Telegraph might explain the poles with wires but not the spires and cable on the roof.
I dunno, it does look rather like grounding cable, but it could be anything really.

OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
I doubt it’s a roof. Looks more like a balcony walkway to me.

And it appears wireless telegraphy was introduced a bit after 1884.

ISeenItFirst

Reactions
I dunno anything about wireless telegraphy. I assume we would be looking at the wired version.

I can't think where that building would be. Next time I'm downtown, I'll see if I can figure out where this is taken from. If it exists.

Magnetic

Reactions
Could it be a speaker? The wire leading to it at a diagonal has round "ceramic?" balls attached to it like airfields have a orange ball attached to power lines so pilots see it. The metal poles that rise off to left of the building seem to be lightning arresters...

Timeshifter

Reactions
Atmospheric Electricity?
I will believe this one when I see it, but what kind of decorations are these? You can clearly see wires attached to the rods on the railing. The Radio was not out until 1895. This is 1884. Lightning rods on the safety railing? Probably not. Than what are those? Those two vases next to the railing look familiar to some, I bet. We see them next to ancient fireplaces a lot.

allegedly 1884
View attachment 14044
And what do you think this little thing is?

The above was extracted from: Norumbega: Washington Monument and the Roman Empire. Took it out to see if we can figure out what those spires with wires are.
The photograph appears to be on celluloid film, which was rolled out in 1885, a year after this photos date? This scan contains grain which you would expect from photographic paper and or celluloid film (Although this could be a digital artefact) as you know, it is impossible to actually date these photos. The school of Wikipedia also leads us to believe that telegram wires were well in use by the 1884 date.

However I agree with the rods/ poles or whatever they are, clearly joined to cables. The rods appear to be twisted bars of some kind? It does appear to me to be more weather/ capture related than transmission.

I do not know too much about the US and its architecture, but it seems to me the buildings/ city/ town in the background appear more modern than I would expect for the late 1800s?

More noticeable to me though is the photo is devoid of any humans, traffic, animals, society, even allowing for exposure times and motion blur, there would be something. I am not sure how big and populated Washington was in 1884?

Something does not ring true about this image.

I came across this next image below, supposedly from 1880 - 84 (Why do we not know the exact year?) where the monument has a different top on it? And again, where are society? It looks abandoned?

Whilst looking for other angles of the building, I came across this image from Getty, which states the workmen on the top of the Monument are examining the lightning arrester. I cannot find another lighting arrester that looks like this one... Also, that is a huge city, with massive buildings, some which appear to have been there a long time...

Also, 2 workmen in suits again...

Sorry I have no answers for you @KorbenDallas only more questions :unsure:

Attachments

Last edited:

nothingnew

Reactions
Atlantic City, NJ 1905 colorized showing rods all over the place in the background

WM4sPAc.jpg
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u4.jpg

Post automatically merged:

Mate thank you, this picture is gold. The left one seems to be a "scholar" trying to figure out what he is looking at through a magnifying glass, looking at the elephant observing the toe. The right one seems rather happy to be doing his measurements, wonder if that could be to it being a energy collector and they know what it is, just not how it works? :unsure:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Maxine Technology 6
Ice Nine Photographic Analysis 7