1900-1907: Apparatus for collecting atmospheric electricity. Patents.

Below is a couple of interesting atmospheric electricity related patents I ran into. I am not sure how any of this was supposed to work. If you follow source links, you can find accompanying descriptions and a bunch of other technical stuff.
  • #1. Apparatus for collecting atmospheric electricity
    • Filed in 1900
    • Patented in 1901
  • Source
US674427-drawings-page-1.jpg

US674427-drawings-page-2.jpg US674427-drawings-page-3.jpg
  • #2. Apparatus for collecting atmospheric electricity
    • Filed in 1907
    • Patented in 1909
  • Source
US911260-0.jpg

KD: Whoever has proper knowledge and education, please indulge the rest. Could it be possible for these things to actually collect electricity from the atmosphere?

Below are a couple of interesting atmospheric electricity related patents I ran into. I am not sure how any of this was supposed to work. If you follow source links, you can find accompanying descriptions and a bunch of other technical stuff.
  • #1. Apparatus for collecting atmospheric electricity
    • Filed in 1900
    • Patented in 1901
  • Source
  • #2. Apparatus for collecting atmospheric electricity
    • Filed in 1907
    • Patented in 1909
  • Source

KD: Whoever has proper knowledge and education, please indulge the rest. Could it be possible for these things to actually collect electricity from the atmosphere?

This second patent looks like it is using balloons to lift the wires high enough to catch the electricity. It reminds me of this youtube video. I think the guy says he had to go up over 200 feet to get a useable energy differential. I can't tell from this patent how high up the balloons are supposed to be. If they are less, I would wonder if that means there was more energy in the atmosphere back in 1907. It is definitely possible, as you can see from that video.

Last edited:
Back