Single photo: San Francisco post-1906 Fire. Cooking in the street

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Interesting but in 2019, US apartment buildings appear to look exactly the way they did in 1906.

So do some of the streets with those wooden posts. Not sure if it’s concrete, or ashalt or both, but things did not change much.
San Francisco, April 1906, after the earthquake and fire that leveled much of the city. "Cooking in the street."

whitewave

Reactions
How can that be a street? There's a big well in the middle of it. That's quite an obstruction for vehicles or even horses/buggies. Maybe some really wide back alley?

Verity

Reactions
Haight-Ashbury
I had no clue what this was so wiki'd it. There is a funny thing in our language, and that is many times if not all of the times it tells you something that is lying in the subconscious or somewhere.
I kept searching and kept saying to myself, 'hate ash bury', over and over.

So when changing the names to other spells, so to speak, one hates the burying in/of ash, one buries the hate in ash, one buries [something] in the ash and hates. I dunno..
Their charter city logo is interesting too- it's in Spanish and reads 'Gold in peace, iron in war.'
Good old phoenix symbology of course.

Henry Haight - Wikipedia
No word on Ashbury at all.
Anywhere.
This one line; "Munroe Ashbury was a city supervisor,"...
That's it.
Very strange considering that this one tiny spot, some seemingly randomly-named intersection in a charter city, whose laws are adopted by the extended nation and then the greater west, should be chosen to completely alter the direction of the worlds "culture" one summer (1967) through sixties counter-culture (which could possibly have its own thread).

San Francisco Board of Supervisors - Wikipedia
Fascinating history of the murder of Harvey Milk & George Muscone by Dan White, particularly in light of todays health/political climate.

OMGoodness. I've tears of laughter. Check this out- I just googled the definition of Munroe, thinking it was just a name. Why not right?
Munro - Wikipedia

Munroe Ashbury = A mountain of buried ash.

BrokenAgate

Reactions
Haight-Ashbury-Munroe, it's all very weird and disturbing. Hatred of what, and by whom? We may be pronouncing it wrong. I found this: Meaning, origin and history of the surname Haight

'Topographic name for someone who lived at the top of a hill, derived from Old English heahþu "height, summit".'

So, the connection to a high mountain is reaffirmed here. And everywhere we look, we see cities buried in mountains of dirt, cities turned to ashes in great conflagrations.

Verity

Reactions
Haight-Ashbury-Munroe, it's all very weird and disturbing. Hatred of what, and by whom? We may be pronouncing it wrong. I found this: Meaning, origin and history of the surname Haight

'Topographic name for someone who lived at the top of a hill, derived from Old English heahþu "height, summit".'

So, the connection to a high mountain is reaffirmed here. And everywhere we look, we see cities buried in mountains of dirt, cities turned to ashes in great conflagrations.
Perhaps because the phoenix must rise up from the ashes of the fire.
The Phoenicians/Venetians/banksters must rise to the top (of the heap/mountains) to control and dominate 'their own world'.
Everything I read and learned about San Fran yesterday is just more of the same- it's the same people, the same MO, the same story.
Gotta say, it's getting old.

p.s. I knew I was missing something with Haight, glad you found it.

maco144

Reactions
It appears there is a great deal of a liquid runoff from the area of the stove creating all sorts of lines across the street running towards camera left. Questions abound as to what kind of liquid, bad design, accidental spill, etc.