Single photo: Members of the commune at the hotel de ville ...

Apollyon

Reactions
Seriously, who were they trying to fool with these?

572042_original-2.jpg

I call this the video game effect, where people will freak out about how realistic a game is, until a game comes out with more realistic graphics then the graphics of the last game appear just god awful.

We see same situation from soviet history

Czar Nicholas II and ministers
74e851396aa05706acc747ec91ae07fb-1.jpg

Last edited:

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
You and me and everyone else my friend. These photographs are the silent witnesses that some wars presented to us were either fought for different reasons, or never happened in first place.

I’m inclined to think that a major substitution of understanding was implemented.

anotherlayer

Reactions
hah! tell me that first one is just a Monty Python segue. hilarious. i am certain a historian on reddit will say they couldnt get all the dudes in the same room, so it's staged with actors and the heads were put on after.

i mean, seriously though. this is an operation, full on. who are the people under the 'masks'? are they just dummies? are photographs even real anymore???

sweet cash register tho.

Moriarty

Reactions
Seriously, who were they trying to fool with these?

View attachment 7470

I call this the video game effect, where people will freak out about how realistic a game is, until a game comes out with more realistic graphics then the graphics of the last game appear just god awful.

We see same situation from soviet history

Czar Nicholas II and ministers

View attachment 7472
Have you ever noticed the similarity between King George V and Nicholas II? Really could be the same person. Or simply clones

20100923000611!Tsar_Nicholas_II_&_King_George_V.JPG

RowOfEleven

Reactions
Wow! I knew there were some doozies out there, but this really takes the cake! In the second picture, it seems like they couldn't decide whether to stick with a "photograph" or go with a full on drawn portrait. Quite the marriage of both in that picture...

Headless Portraits From the 19th Century
This is about the popularity of "Headless Portraits" in the 19th century. I thought it would be interesting to compare the manipulation techniques of these to the two in this post. Seems pretty similar!

Some examples of this odd novelty picture

headless-4.jpg

headless-7.jpg
headless-6.jpg