Single Photo: Father Himalaya's Pyrheliophor

jd755

Reactions
From here Father Himalaya's Pyrheliophor
Assembled for the 1904 Lousiana Puchase Exposition.

him.jpg

The Pyrheliophor was erected at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition -- the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair -- by Manual Antonio Gomes, a Portuguese priest known as Father Himalaya. The experimental apparatus, ""suggesting a giant spider ... was constructed to ascertain the amount of heat that might be secured by the concentration of rays of the sun. It contained 6,117 mirrors so placed as to reflect the sun's rays upon a single point. By this means a heat of more than 7,000 degrees Fahrenheit was secured ... The Pyrheliophor ... stood upon the high ground southwest of the Palace of Forestry, Fish and Game.

Evidence of regression from then on?
Who paid for it and for him to travel?
What happened to the technology?
How did Manuel Gomez become known as Father Himalaya and why?
Why the name Pyrehelioper?
The lower end 'curve' disappears into ground and it seems to have a moving 'point of focus' which travels up and down that curve.

Here's the only other picture on that site of it being built.

two.jpg

Its frame is made of rivetted steel assembled on site with the cranes and heavy block and tackle. This looks to me a great effort and expense of the day to throw at such a thing the invention of an obscure priest if the official line is correct.

BStankman

Reactions

Attachments

Last edited:

AnthroposRex

Reactions
So, we are meant to believe a priest got churchly dispensation to be a scientist, and then found the science to create this thing, and then decided to leave it where it was.

Also, those photos of the mirror slagging ships and buildings are interesting. I wonder if this was ever used in this manner. Unfortunately we only have drawings of it in action

JWW427

Reactions
The Mythbusters TV show built one. A Pyrheliophor.
Didn't work well.
The history on Archimedes is bunk. I think he found ancient information on his inventions and recreated them. (Most)
Just my gut feeling. History is full of "inventors," some are genuine, some not.
JWW