Single photo: Board of Water Supply Bicycle Team

Plissken

Reactions
Board of Water Supply Bicycle Team
NYC Water supply bike team.jpg

Caption on Photo: Out of the Archives: The Board of Water Supply’s “bicycle team” in 1941 knew it was the most enjoyable way to commute, even if they weren’t thinking about carbon footprints back then.

Why are the two ladies on each end photo-shopped into this photo? Someone even commented on it in the album.

Plissken 🐍

OP
Plissken

Plissken

Reactions
No names that I could find. This is out of the New York Department of Environmental Protection's archives. They run the aqueduct system so I guess that is why this is in their archives. I just posted more pictures from that archive on the post New York, Development or Apocalypse.

I don't understand the value of tampering with a 1941 photo of ladies biking. Maybe they were absent the day they took the photo LOL.

esgee1

Reactions
Yeah, the cut outs are clearly easy to see! While the lady on the left seems to be added, the one on the right seems to be covering up the original person who was in the photo. I would certainly love to know the story behind this "altered" photograph.

That said: I suspect they didn't have a photo of the current bicycle team and needed one for use right away (maybe for an article or publication). So they quickly combined three separate photos using scissors, glue and/or tape. Thus creating that photo to reflect who the current members were.

I doubt there's anything nefarious going on, as I used to do this kind of thing with physical photographs for fun when I was a kid.

Thanks for sharing this interesting find!

jd755

Reactions
Just to throw a little into the ring. The lady on the left is stood on paving. Clearly visible through her bike frame and legs. She is lit from a completely different angle as is the tree and grass to her right. The three in the middle and their background are definitely 'all there together' and the bike of the fourth lady is lit the same way. The 'reduced' lady on the right does indeed look like an overlay.
The thing is I have a memory of seeing some WWII ladies from Germany posing like this. If memory clicks up a gear and I remember where I'll add it in.

jd755

Reactions
Lady on the right's white jacket is 'painted' in. The legs and bike are lit just like the other three ladies to her right.
Her head is from a completely different photograph. The straight line 'neck' on a crew neck jumper.
neck.jpg

The original ladies jacket or cardigan has been badly 'cut' away from the handlebar. Note the straight line to the white jacket and the 'missed' bit of grey original around the handlebar.
Also whose is the disconnected hand next to the bike light on the second lady from the rights handlebar?
You can see her hand holding the grip of her handle bar behind the overlaid white jacket ladies arm. Actually not sure that is a hand just sure it has no arm connected to it!
handle.jpg