Single photo: 1900 St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Richmond, Virginia

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
St. Paul's was built in 1845 as a branch of the Monumental Church, which had outgrown its building. The Greek Revival church was designed by Thomas Somerville Stewart and modeled largely on St. Luke's Church. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 as St. Paul's Church.
Interesting building it is. I'm wondering what originally was in those bricked in windows, half way up. An easy answer would be clocks, but were they really.

Another fun thing is the building on the right. I think that makeshift platform is leading to the second story windows, and the actual door had to be dug out. Such a sharp contrast between those brick platform support pillars,and the rest of the building.

Timeshifter

Reactions
Very little info purtaining to the build (as usual) how long it took etc. Also, I wonder why and when the spire was changed? Here's it gone in 1950s postcard

They love the greek/ Roman columns eh... and it looks to be made of wood in some pictures..

And yes 100% that building looks dug out

Magnetic

Reactions
The steeple is nearly as tall as the rest of the building and its removal and replacement with a dwarfish sized top is instructive. In my town of Chapel Hill, NC there are plenty of these dwarfish replacement roofs on the Tartarian buildings in the oldest university in America. I did find some smaller aether antennas that were over looked hiding in plain sight as flag poles. You say that the photo was taken around 1900 but where are the people, animals, street litter, etc?

jd755

Reactions
From here St. Paul's Episcopal Church

In a city with a rich tradition of architecturally remarkable church steeples, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, built in 1845 and designed by Philadelphia architect Thomas Stewart, boasted one of Richmond's tallest (the spire was removed in 1906).

And from here St. Paul’s Episcopal Church | Architecture Richmond

The parish was established as an offshoot of Monumental Church in the early 1840s. When the members of the fledgling congregation sought architectural inspiration for their new sanctuary they visited Philadelphia and that city’s St. Luke’s Episcopal Church made an impression. They commissioned its architect, Thomas S. Stewart, to develop a plan for Richmond. He delivered a Greek revival structure with an ebullient and colossal Corinthian portico. The columns are stucco over brick but, in the spirit of the industrial revolution, the capitals themselves are cast iron (the first use of the material for columns here). The Corinthian spirit continues along the outer side walls of the building as pilasters.

A steeple that once supported an impressively tall, octagonal needle spire and a major landmark of mid- to late 19th century Richmond, was removed in the early 1900s. The current cupola is more sedate.

Steve Cramer

Reactions
This is the Peter and Paul Cathedral in the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg, Russia. The spire is very similar, isn't it?

Last edited: