Single photo: 1896 Russian Windmill. All Russia Exhibition.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Reactions
Got a link to this "windmill" in my e-mail today. I'm not quite sure what this thing is. To the best of my ability, this is some sort of a windmill displayed in 1896 at the All Russia Exhibition in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.

KD: I might adjust the sub later on. For right now, if anyone knows what this sat-dish looking thing is, please share with the rest. This Russian Expo presents quite a few questions. There are some interesting photographs at the below source.

maco144

Reactions
Looks like an antennae.

The rest of the collection of images is incredible. I wish I could download them all to archive but I can't seem to find a simple way to even download one.

Off topic:
-The obelisk in picture 130 has a date on it but I can't make it out. Any ideas?
-In the reflection of mirror picture 152 it seems like the photographer should be in the reflection but isn't. Am I misunderstanding the shot composition?

Timeshifter

Reactions
I wonder if it is anything to do with this guy & his radio inventions? He was exhibiting according to wiki.

Alexander Stepanovich Popov - Wikipedia

Radio wave receiver

Also notice in the wiki page for the fair, 'first in the world'...'Worlds first'... :unsure:

Another ariel view from the 1800s... notice etching, not photo...

Aslo it seems unlike other fairs this one wasn't completely torn down...

Time and Old Iron Structures in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, by Roberto Conte | The Strength of Architecture | From 1998

Heres a rear view... could be a winmill, or disguised as...

Last edited:

jd755

Reactions
Looks like an antennae.

The rest of the collection of images is incredible. I wish I could download them all to archive but I can't seem to find a simple way to even download one.

Off topic:
-The obelisk in picture 130 has a date on it but I can't make it out. Any ideas?
-In the reflection of mirror picture 152 it seems like the photographer should be in the reflection but isn't. Am I misunderstanding the shot composition?
The pictures on that site sit within a pdf which makes them inaccessible to normal downloading. Anti theft png is all one gets!
However this site may have one. It certainly has an interesting set of the stuff inside these buildings and how the content degrades instead of advancing.
Industrial expositions. What mysteries did they take away with them ?

Last edited:

Red Bird

Reactions
Th
The pictures on that site sit within a pdf which makes them inaccessible to normal downloading. Anti theft png is all one gets!
However this site may have one. It certainly has an interesting set of the stuff inside these buildings and how the content degrades instead of advancing.
Industrial expositions. What mysteries did they take away with them ?
those are great pictures! It’s like we’re shown those faux domes, church steeples and more on display.